Can Porosity Imbalance Damage hair???

Choklatekiss79

I read this somewhere on the net. Can anyone provide any insight as to whether or not this is acurate?

"Porosity of hair is the ability of the hair to absorb liquid or moisture. It is important when doing any sort of chemical treatment that the hair is not overly porous as it can soak up the chemicals too quickly and damage the hair.

If the hair does not have the same porosity over the entire head, some areas will process too fast. An easy test for porosity is to take a lock of hair and let it float on water for two minutes. If it floats, the outer layer is healthy. If it sinks, the outer layer is too open and will allow chemicals to absorb too quickly—in this case don't process with any chemicals until treated with the proper reconstructors."

Should I be using a porosity control shampoo regularly? Other than the strand float test, what other ways can I tell if my porosity if off?

CAPlush

I think keeping your hair's porosity even, which means keeping the pH balanced, is at least as important as protein and moisture. Here's why, when you get a relaxer, the relaxer raises the pH (to 12-14) and lifts up all of the cuticles so the chemical can get in. If you never get the pH back down to your normal body pH (which is different for everyone, but is slightly acidic), your cuticles will not lay down causing tangling, breakage, dryness, etc. I use Roux Mendex (pH 4.5), and just incorporated Affirm 5n1 reconstructor (pH 4.5) into my regimen and this helps with pH balance, which keeps the porosity even. I use one of these 2 at least 1x a week. You can probably use the porosity control shampoo, conditioner, or any product such as Keracare which helps with porosity if you think that may be part of your problem. I also would not double up the products. I tried using Porosity Control shampoo followed by the treatment and it made my hair brittle, one acidic product per wash session is probably enough.

Choklatekiss79

OK. I found the Roux Mendex treatment at Sally's. Would you recommend doing this after shamppoing and just before deep conditioning each week?

Also, I currently use Nexxus Humectress as one of my conditioners. Would this be considered porosity control?

e$h

Choklatekiss79 said:
I read this somewhere on the net. Can anyone provide any insight as to whether or not this is acurate?

"Porosity of hair is the ability of the hair to absorb liquid or moisture. It is important when doing any sort of chemical treatment that the hair is not overly porous as it can soak up the chemicals too quickly and damage the hair.

If the hair does not have the same porosity over the entire head, some areas will process too fast. An easy test for porosity is to take a lock of hair and let it float on water for two minutes. If it floats, the outer layer is healthy. If it sinks, the outer layer is too open and will allow chemicals to absorb too quickly—in this case don't process with any chemicals until treated with the proper reconstructors."

Should I be using a porosity control shampoo regularly? Other than the strand float test, what other ways can I tell if my porosity if off?

That's a good question. I wanna know too.

CAPlush

Choklatekiss79 said:
OK. I found the Roux Mendex treatment at Sally's. Would you recommend doing this after shamppoing and just before deep conditioning each week?

Also, I currently use Nexxus Humectress as one of my conditioners. Would this be considered porosity control?

Roux Mendex is a deep conditioner, so you can use it as such. I usually leave it on with heat 15-30 min, and I sometimes follow it up with a rinse out conditioner if I have a lot of new growth. The website says that you can use it as an overnight treatment if you want, but I haven't tried it that way yet. If you want to use it before another deep conditioner, I think you should get the Porosity control conditioner, not Mendex.

I don't know the pH of Nexxus Humectress. Maybe you can email the manufacturer to ask what the pH is.