Can somebody tell me why....

belle_reveuse28

I've read on several occasions from people that are APL and longer that going from SL to APL takes the longest.... I'm in that transition right now, and yes, it is taking forever. How long does this normally take? And is there a reason it takes so long? Is it distance? Does APL to BSL take as long or shorter? THanks for satisfying my frustration and curiosity!

msa

It really depends on the distance from SL to APL on your body. For some people, that's only a few inches and they can do it in a few months. For others it's 6+ inches so it'll take them a year or more.

Nonie

I think the fact that shoulder length hair is just finally making contact with your clothes means that unless you're protective styling 24/7, then your ends endure a lot of abuse from friction with your clothes, which makes retention a problem. So that any length you may have gained is cancelled out by the split ends that occur and that lead to breakage.

I think you can get to APL faster if you start protective styling more.

PPGbubbles

I got this from www.growafrohairlong.com:

"When your hair reaches shoulder length, it's the most vulnerable, since your hair will be making contact with your clothes. This is the time to wear your hair off the shoulders. When the hair grows at least 3-4 inches past the shoulders, it is not so vulnerable to break.

The ends of your hair will not be sweeping against your clothing but will be lying on your clothing. This is less friction against your hair. "

I totally agree with this! The period during SL and APL is truly the time to use protective styles! and really care for your ends.

nymane

I'm grazing APL now and I'm going to be wearing braid out, updo styles, until I'm FULL APL....hopefully by Dec 09 :crossfingers:

dlewis

I think the fact that shoulder length hair is just finally making contact with your clothes means that unless you're protective styling 24/7, then your ends endure a lot of abuse from friction with your clothes, which makes retention a problem. So that any length you may have gained is cancelled out by the split ends that occur and that lead to breakage.

:yep::yep::yep::wave: Hi Nonie

remilaku

It was different for me. I went from around my earrings to my shoulders fast. Getting to arm pit is taking a longer time for me. I have 3-4 inches to go.

Saffirejuiliet

I went from SL to APL in less than a year because I was always protective styling. I honestly did not know I even made APL because I was wearing my hair in its natural state all the time. IMHO, APL to BSL takes forever! I believe it took me about a year or two. I was not protective styling like I was before so that could have been the cause.

malachi74

I am still trying to get to BSL. My APL to BSL voyage is going on over a year now and I thought I would've made it by July of this year. I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong or maybe I just underestimated the distance between APL and BSL (the bottom part of the brastrap).

Barbie83

what she said......

I got this from www.growafrohairlong.com:

"When your hair reaches shoulder length, it's the most vulnerable, since your hair will be making contact with your clothes. This is the time to wear your hair off the shoulders. When the hair grows at least 3-4 inches past the shoulders, it is not so vulnerable to break.

The ends of your hair will not be sweeping against your clothing but will be lying on your clothing. This is less friction against your hair. "

I totally agree with this! The period during SL and APL is truly the time to use protective styles! and really care for your ends.

and her too! :yep: it sucks cuz ps'ing is boring to me, but you gotta do what u gotta do..... (I need to get back to bunning and quit playin around :rolleyes:)

charmtreese

I always wear my hair up so my hair coming in contact with my cloths was not a factor. I think it took me a long time for several reasons.

1. I have fine/med texture hair with low density and was growing out layers. The bottom layer always appeared so thin so I would trim.

2. I'm long...My hair had a ways grow from shoulder to apl (6 inches or more)

3. My hair was growing in a V the bottom of the V reached apl way before the rest of my hair, but for a full blunt apl...that took awhile longer.

4. The damage was at the ends. When I started my journey not only my ends were damaged, but the whole hair strand was damaged and weak. Therefore as healthy hair grew in the damaged hair was slowly being pushed to the bottom, making it harder to reach my hair goals.