Can We Try This Again?-- Christianity & The Law of Attraction

StrawberryQueen

RelaxerRehab said:
Don't feel guilty about seeking knowledge. The Bible says in all thy getting, get understanding, yes? My pastor says we learn things by observation, communication, and revelation. All three of these things took place in this thread and you now know more than you did before to make an informed choice, yes? I know I did.... So your asking helped so many people.:)
That's very true and your positivity is much appreciated! :)

upandcoming

I'm really, really happy about this thread. I really am. I think this is absolutely amazing. I COMPLETELY agree with the power of positive thinking, I KNOW that God wants us to put ourselves in positive places...with positive people, positive music (certain lyrics are the devil..), positive a lot of things. Why? Because we not only have a physical body but also a spirit, and we don't want either of them to be placed in harm's way. Our bodies, our heart, our everything are temples of God and so we much treat them as so. What does that mean? Try our best to follow His Word, love others, love Him, love ourselves. Accept Him as our Savior and Lord. And he wants us to be happy, and positive. Yes. Absolutely.

So, on that point, yes - we need to DO something. God wants us to be hard workers, positive thinkers, kingdom builders etc....

BUT!! Only through Jesus Christ, the TRUE AND LIVING SON OF GOD WHO REIGNS NOW AND FOREVER. My problem with the Secret is this:

My bossstold me to watch it. He said it was really moving. I watched part of the Secret and also watched the Oprah special, the Secret Part II. When I saw the man with dreads and his side partner, I decided to google them.

I found out about one of the teachers, Dr. Michael Beckwith and found out about this place of worship, the Agape International Spiritual Center. Then I decided to look at FAQ. I wanted to know if it was Christian. This is what I saw:

"Is Agape Christian? And what about the Bible and Jesus?

No, and yes.

Yes, some Agape members are Christian, and their personal encounter with the spirit of Jesus as an embodiment of the Christ Consciousness richly informs their spiritual lives.

No, if by Christian you mean the acceptance of Jesus as the only savior and Christianity as the only path to God and eternal salvation. Yes, in the sense that New Thought- Ancient Wisdom history includes the Gnostic teachings of the earliest Christian mystical sects, as well as the founders of the uniquely American New Thought Movement including Emmanuel Swedenborg, Ernest Holmes, Howard Thurman, and transcendentalists such as Ralph Waldo Emerson and others.

The Bible is referenced in Dr. Beckwith’s services and Agape’s classes. No, and yes.

Yes, some Agape members are Christian, and their personal encounter with the spirit of Jesus as an embodiment of the Christ Consciousness richly informs their spiritual lives.

No, if by Christian you mean the acceptance of Jesus as the only savior and Christianity as the only path to God and eternal salvation. Yes, in the sense that New Thought- Ancient Wisdom history includes the Gnostic teachings of the earliest Christian mystical sects, as well as the founders of the uniquely American New Thought Movement including Emmanuel Swedenborg, Ernest Holmes, Howard Thurman, and transcendentalists such as Ralph Waldo Emerson and others.

The Bible is referenced in Dr. Beckwith’s services and Agape’s classes. However, the version that is used is a metaphysical, Gnostic-inspired edition translated and interpreted from the original Aramaic, rather than the Greek translation used in traditional Christian churches such as the King James version, or the Saint Gregory version used by the Catholic church.

Agape teaches that Jesus was not the great exception, but rather the great example. Classically, the New Thought-Ancient Wisdom tradition of spirituality regards Jesus an enlightened being, one who attained cosmic consciousness, or liberation from a sense of separation from the Source of all that is. Jesus is revered as a wayshower, as an exemplar of unconditional love, selfless service, and self-mastery."

---

My take on this? Its not Christian. They don't believe Jesus Christ is their Lord and Savior. YES, Michael uses some Christian principles, kind of but he's not a Christian. I feel a little uncomfortable taking teachings from a non-Christian....not that non-Christians are evil or bad or less because uhm, no, we're all flesh but because I need to guard my spirit. So when it comes to mentors, teachings, books, movies, songs etc...I've got to becareful.

2. Okay, I know Michael isn't the only "teacher" but...if you listen to the Secret for the first 10 minutes - you'll notice how there are many referencs to the Universe, and to YOU, to the greatest "secret" of the universe, the answer to your problems - the power of positive thinking.

The answer to your problems is Christ Jesus and His teachings. HIS teachings include positive thinking, etc....some others do, but that doesn't mean you should follow everything they say.

If you look at the titles of the people who are on the tape, they have metaphysicists and new-age thinkers and "practictioners"...Since when have I listened to metaphysicists and new aged thinkers? There are two types of believers: Christians, and non-Christians, believers, and non-believers.

Then I decided to go to the Secret website, where it says, "Ask the Genie" to Contact them.

http://www.thesecret.tv/home-synopsis.html

It also says:

"This is The Secret to everything - the secret to unlimited joy, health, money, relationships, love, youth: everything you have ever wanted."

The "SECRET" is not the Secret, or is it positive thinking...it's Jesus Christ. So, in sum, I don't have a problem with positive thinking, but I do have a problem with false prophets, I do have a problem with people using Christian principles so some people, especially new to their faith, may get themselves twisted. I do have a problem with people who claim that this "SECRET"is a new era to mankind.

But I don't condemn anyone for believing in it, or the teachers, or Oprah or anything, or anyone for thinking its life breaking, but for me as a Christian, I don't think it's for me.

Disclaimer: These are all my opinions, I love this thread and think that it's great. I hope I didn't offend anyone, or this forum or w/e. If I've caused any issues let me know.
Add-onHowever, this is the truth and I know it because GOD, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ lives and reign....forever...and ever. =D

Last edited:

StrawberryQueen

togethernessinchrist said:
I'm really, really happy about this thread. I really am. I think this is absolutely amazing. I COMPLETELY agree with the power of positive thinking, I KNOW that God wants us to put ourselves in positive places...with positive people, positive music (certain lyrics are the devil..), positive a lot of things. Why? Because we not only have a physical body but also a spirit, and we don't want either of them to be placed in harm's way. Our bodies, our heart, our everything are temples of God and so we much treat them as so. What does that mean? Try our best to follow His Word, love others, love Him, love ourselves. Accept Him as our Savior and Lord. And he wants us to be happy, and positive. Yes. Absolutely.

So, on that point, yes - we need to DO something. God wants us to be hard workers, positive thinkers, kingdom builders etc....

BUT!! Only through Jesus Christ, the TRUE AND LIVING SON OF GOD WHO REIGNS NOW AND FOREVER. My problem with the Secret is this:

My bossstold me to watch it. He said it was really moving. I watched part of the Secret and also watched the Oprah special, the Secret Part II. When I saw the man with dreads and his side partner, I decided to google them.

I found out about one of the teachers, Dr. Michael Beckwith and found out about this place of worship, the Agape International Spiritual Center. Then I decided to look at FAQ. I wanted to know if it was Christian. This is what I saw:

No, and yes.

The Bible is referenced in Dr. Beckwith’s services and Agape’s classes. No, and yes.

The Bible is referenced in Dr. Beckwith’s services and Agape’s classes. However, the version that is used is a metaphysical, Gnostic-inspired edition translated and interpreted from the original Aramaic, rather than the Greek translation used in traditional Christian churches such as the King James version, or the Saint Gregory version used by the Catholic church.

Agape teaches that Jesus was not the great exception, but rather the great example. Classically, the New Thought-Ancient Wisdom tradition of spirituality regards Jesus an enlightened being, one who attained cosmic consciousness, or liberation from a sense of separation from the Source of all that is. Jesus is revered as a wayshower, as an exemplar of unconditional love, selfless service, and self-mastery."

---

My take on this? Its not Christian. They don't believe Jesus Christ is their Lord and Savior. YES, Michael uses some Christian principles, kind of but he's not a Christian. I feel a little uncomfortable taking teachings from a non-Christian....not that non-Christians are evil or bad or less because uhm, no, we're all flesh but because I need to guard my spirit. So when it comes to mentors, teachings, books, movies, songs etc...I've got to becareful.

2. Okay, I know Michael isn't the only "teacher" but...if you listen to the Secret for the first 10 minutes - you'll notice how there are many referencs to the Universe, and to YOU, to the greatest "secret" of the universe, the answer to your problems - the power of positive thinking.

The answer to your problems is Christ Jesus and His teachings. HIS teachings include positive thinking, etc....some others do, but that doesn't mean you should follow everything they say.

If you look at the titles of the people who are on the tape, they have metaphysicists and new-age thinkers and "practictioners"...Since when have I listened to metaphysicists and new aged thinkers? There are two types of believers: Christians, and non-Christians, believers, and non-believers.

Then I decided to go to the Secret website, where it says, "Ask the Genie" to Contact them.

It also says:

"This is The Secret to everything - the secret to unlimited joy, health, money, relationships, love, youth: everything you have ever wanted."

The "SECRET" is Jesus Christ. So, in sum, I don't have a problem with positive thinking, but I do have a problem with false prophets, I do have a problem with people using Christian principles so some people, especially new to their faith, may get themselves twisted. I do have a problem with people who claim that this "SECRET"is a new era to mankind.

But I don't condemn anyone for believing in it, or the teachers, or Oprah or anything, or anyone for thinking its life breaking, but for me as a Christian, I don't think it's for me.
I loved how you put this, it really spoke to me!

Divine Inspiration

SQ, thank you lady!! I appreciate your attitude towards these kinds of things. It's refreshing and encourages progress. Thank you. :kiss:

Secret, you should NOT feel guilty or embarassed. You did a wonderful thing by starting this thread, and I think many of us have enjoyed this exchange and have drawn valuable ideas from it. Please don't allow close-minded or staunch people to keep you from exploring the things God has laid on your heart. There will always be people who believe they "have it all figured out" but as I've said before, that attitude lends itself to religous intolerance, even within the same sect. So, my advice to you would be to be encouraged and continue to seek God in all that you do, and He will certainly reveal Himself to you.

TIC, your post was balanced and well said!

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member

No, and yes.

---

It also says:

The "SECRET" is not the Secret, or is it positive thinking...it's Jesus Christ. So, in sum, I don't have a problem with positive thinking, but I do have a problem with false prophets, I do have a problem with people using Christian principles so some people, especially new to their faith, may get themselves twisted. I do have a problem with people who claim that this "SECRET"is a new era to mankind.

Disclaimer: These are all my opinions, I love this thread and think that it's great. I hope I didn't offend anyone, or this forum or w/e. If I've caused any issues let me know.

Thank you for your post. I applaude you.

I have to say that your disclaimer is not an opinion, it is a fact. We either stand for God in all that He is or we don't. You took a stand for Him...you exposed the origin of this subject where satan has rule. There is no in between for us as Christians. Our biggest fear would be in offending God..not man.

Blessings to you...

secretdiamond

StrawberryQueen said:
That's very mature of you secret! I pray that you will find answers to your questions.

Maybe a more appropriate thread would have been a discussion among Christian who have adopted pratices of the LoA? I dunno, maybe the thread could be edited (by a moderator) to reflect that?

But some of the things I've seen in this thread make me sad.

Thanks. It's not easy to sit quietly when you know you have the right intentions, but are being made to look like you aren't standing up for God. :ohwell:

I like the idea bolded. Maybe the word adopted could be changed to "adapted" because that's what I feel like I'm doing.

And I'm only going to look at the parts of this thread that were positive and made me happy in my eyes. I even loved some of the posts negating the 'secret' as they allowed me to learn more like TIC's post. They were also enlightening and very informative.

secretdiamond

Divine Inspiration said:
SQ, thank you lady!! I appreciate your attitude towards these kinds of things. It's refreshing and encourages progress. Thank you. :kiss:

Secret, you should NOT feel guilty or embarassed. You did a wonderful thing by starting this thread, and I think many of us have enjoyed this exchange and have drawn valuable ideas from it. Please don't allow close-minded or staunch people to keep you from exploring the things God has laid on your heart. There will always be people who believe they "have it all figured out" but as I've said before, that attitude lends itself to religous intolerance, even within the same sect. So, my advice to you would be to be encouraged and continue to seek God in all that you do, and He will certainly reveal Himself to you.

Thanks for your posts in this thread DI they are of great value to me and are very encouraging.

@the bolded: You make a very good point here. I didn't realize how true this is until now. But I'm still going to be happy and willing to learn all that I can! :)

Shimmie

Staff member
Divine Inspiration said:

DI, if you are speaking of me, I can't and will not compromise the truth of God.

I must proclaim God for who He is at any cost. The devil cannot beat me. he's already a defeated foe. I rather see someone get their feelings hurt now than see them go to hell.

I say this all for a reason. As Christians, we have to stop apologizing for telling the truth. The world has no problem telling us what they want and pushing God out of our schools, out of our churches...yes our churches and out of who He really is. The TV/Media is flooded with their mess, but let God be glorified and then there's a big huff about it.

But this is not about you....I know your heart as a Christian. It's God love that moves you. But if I am one that you are referring to as stauch, I need to make it clear that my replies are moved also by the love of God, if not more. I spoke the truth on this matter. And I still find it interesting how God planned it as I had no intention on being here.

You see, it was my original thread on this topic that the OP was referring to in her first post. Therefore I couldn't be more pleased that this thread was started. For not just in my posts, but in others outside of this forum have proven that this is not for Christians to partake in. That doesn't make us stauch for telling the truth.

I'm done. All I have to say on this matter has been said, for now. I even have information to share with my friend.

I wish each of you blessings.

upandcoming

Shimmie said:
Thank you for your post. I applaude you.

I have to say that your disclaimer is not an opinion, it is a fact. We either stand for God in all that He is or we don't. You took a stand for Him...you exposed the origin of this subject where satan has rule. There is no in between for us as Christians. Our biggest fear would be in offending God..not man.

Blessings to you...

Shimmie that is so true. It's either all or nothing. Thank you, I've editted it. This thread is just really ministering to me, I don't even know. When I saw the first 10 minutes of the Secret, my spirit was NOT having it. I really couldn't finish the rest. Then when I read about it, and did my research on the teachers and whatnot, I felt a strong no. It's amazing how the Holy Spirit just moves...

And it really saddens me, because so many people are lost, they know they have a void within them because they don't have a relationship with Christ...and it's just, God is REAL. Don't listen to the liars. So satan comes in, and the satan within individuals comes in, and twists and lies and often times knows that people yearn for Christ, and so satan and people (and the satan within them) uses things that may seem Christian like to entice people in, including believers.

And they're still lost. But then I'm not sad because God has it all under control. God knows our hearts and will move. This is just showing me the importance of knowing our Word, because hey, guess what? Anyone can use the Word and try to twist it then add their own stuff in it, making it far from the Truth, the not-truth. Anyone can go to Bible gateway, google a phrase or a scripture, and then make it seem like they're a teacher.

I'm not condeming anyone, I'm really not but this is just on my heart. And I really need to pray....and finish my work and go to bed. It's been real. Hope this convo keeps going..

Thanks for the nice comments, ladies =)

Shimmie

Staff member
Shimmie that is so true. It's either all or nothing. Thank you, I've editted it. This thread is just really ministering to me, I don't even know. When I saw the first 10 minutes of the Secret, my spirit was NOT having it. I really couldn't finish the rest. Then when I read about it, and did my research on the teachers and whatnot, I felt a strong no. It's amazing how the Holy Spirit just moves...

And it really saddens me, because so many people are lost, they know they have a void within them because they don't have a relationship with Christ...and it's just, God is REAL. Don't listen to the liars. So satan comes in, and the satan within individuals comes in, and twists and lies and often times knows that people yearn for Christ, and so satan and people (and the satan within them) uses things that may seem Christian like to entice people in, including believers.

And they're still lost. But then I'm not sad because God has it all under control. God knows our hearts and will move. This is just showing me the importance of knowing our Word, because hey, guess what? Anyone can use the Word and try to twist it then add their own stuff in it, making it far from the Truth, the not-truth. Anyone can go to Bible gateway, google a phrase or a scripture, and then make it seem like they're a teacher.

I'm not condeming anyone, I'm really not but this is just on my heart. And I really need to pray....and finish my work and go to bed. It's been real. Hope this convo keeps going..

Thanks for the nice comments, ladies =)

You really have it together in Christ. You're sold out for Him...all or nothing. Take care of this thread and be the leader God has called you to be. Don't waiver one bit for anyone. You owe nothing to no one except Jesus Christ.

Blessings... ;)

LovelyL8E

No, and yes.

---

It also says:

I really liked how you broke this down. I would like to say that I was a member of Agape International spiritual center. Basically they do not believe that Jesus is the son of God and savior. They do not believe there is a heaven or hell or the devil. They blend every religion in one, from 'christianity' to paganism. Basically it is a religious science based organization. The Bible is never used or really referenced in their services. They are good people but misinformed.

At this time I have left that center and have return to my roots. Jesus Christ my Lord and savior. I believe that He died on the cross and that God raised him from the dead and He lives-Rom 10:9-10

On a Biblical basis there are many scriptures regarding the "secret". The main scripture for me would be Philippians 4:6-8.

6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

These types of teaching regarding the "universe" pull at people heart strings and gives them that feel good feeling. But God's word says the heart is deceitful and that we should guard our hearts. Jeremiah 17:9 and Proverbs 4:23. If a person is a christian everything should be measured against God word.

Note: this is also my opinion and hope not to offend anyone on the forum.

live2bgr8

I agree, I like the way togethernessinchrist broke it down. I also wanted to thank you for pulling the Philippians 4:6-8 Scripture.

I think the OP's intent was really grounded in this verse. And I think that this really was supposed to be the focus of this thread... not the debate that it has become.

However, I am thankful for the debate, because it keeps us grounded and helps people realize that we can not worship the law but rather the Law Giver (the Trinity).

The principles do not change no matter what language you use to describe them, because God is not a man so He can not lie nor go back on His word. This is why I think good things (or bad things) happen to both belivers and non believers.

However, a Christian can not just pick and choose which laws we want to tap into. Because just like we want to tap into positive thinking or LOA as some may call it, a follower of Christ will believe the whole word of God (Bible) and the other laws (blessings and chastisments) that it describes.

From what I'm reading, I think that many of us desire to speak this thought in love... The debate started because some very caring sisters want to admonish us to stay close to Jesus Christ.

However, as I said before. God's sheep know His voice. We can hear it clearly. He has given us his Holy Spirit to discern teachers who will lead us towards him and those who will lead us into witchcraft-- which the Bible describes as rebellion & trusting other things besides him, not just divination. Please see: KJV 1 Samuel 15:22-23:

22 So Samuel said: "Has the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, As in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, And to heed than the fat of rams. 23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, And stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the LORD, He also has rejected you from being king."

The NIV translates stubborness as arrogance...

As DI stated earlier-- While we can speak with authority through the power of the Holy Spirit-- none of us has it ALL figured out... This line of thinking is what makes a Baptist say a Catholic is in danger of going to hell (or vice versa). It also makes a Pentacostal say a devout Methodist is in danger if she's wearing make up, perming her hair or not speaking in toungues. Yet they all believe in the power of Jesus Christ. :ohwell:

I hope that the debate can now move towards a discussion of faith in action.

LovelyL8E said:
I really liked how you broke this down. I would like to say that I was a member of Agape International spiritual center. Basically they do not believe that Jesus is the son of God and savior. They do not believe there is a heaven or hell or the devil. They blend every religion in one, from 'christianity' to paganism. Basically it is a religious science based organization. The Bible is never used or really referenced in their services. They are good people but misinformed.

At this time I have left that center and have return to my roots. Jesus Christ my Lord and savior. I believe that He died on the cross and that God raised him from the dead and He lives-Rom 10:9-10

On a Biblical basis there are many scriptures regarding the "secret". The main scripture for me would be Philippians 4:6-8.

6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

These types of teaching regarding the "universe" pull at people heart strings and gives them that feel good feeling. But God's word says the heart is deceitful and that we should guard our hearts. Jeremiah 17:9 and Proverbs 4:23. If a person is a christian everything should be measured against God word.

Note: this is also my opinion and hope not to offend anyone on the forum.

Last edited:

pebbles

No, and yes.

---

It also says:

Add-onHowever, this is the truth and I know it because GOD, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ lives and reign....forever...and ever. =D

Stand up and take a bow, sweetie!! :clap: God Bless You!! :)

alexstin

Divine Inspiration said:

This was so unnecessary, DI. Why not agree to disagree without the veiled insults? We are all created in the image of God and as such should be given the respect to disagree without the name calling.

Keen

Divine Inspiration said:

I agree this was a great thread. Whether we agree or disagree we still need to discuss these issues.

pebbles

alexstin said:
This was so unnecessary, DI. Why not agree to disagree without the veiled insults? We are all created in the image of God and as such should be given the respect to disagree without the name calling.

Agreed. I'd hate to have to close the thread.

gn1g

Hello Shimmie,

missed you around here.

I've been thinking about this thread. Do you remember the story of moses and the magicians? Everything that moses could do the magicians could do also but in the end Moses had the victory over the magicians.

Omoge

secretdiamond said:
I also agree with this and this is why the Christian book club is such a great idea. Had it not been for the people in this thread, I would have no idea where to find books that were Christian-based. I tried searching online, but I guess I was using the wrong search words. The only book that did inspire me spiritually was "The Game of Life and How to Play It." I was so happy when I read it, but it's so short and there were still some things that I did not agree with.

Anyway, I am happy and grateful for the information ppl have been so gracious enough to share with me in this thread (pro and con). I will keep depending on the Lord to guide me on how to be closer to Him. God did not make me read about the secret or LoA for nothing. I know it. He knows my heart & I have faith that He will continue to guide me.

For those who disagree, well, that is the way God has guided you and sees fit for you. If you have reached the place I would like to reach (in terms of a relationship with the Lord) without all of this 'stuff', then I am happy for you.

Florence Scovel Shinn
Florence Shinn here was a skilled artist who lived in New York City during the early twentieth century. She also became known as a skilled METAPHYSICAL teacher and SPIRITUAL LUMINARY. Her lectures were well-attended and her books, including the classic The GAME of LIFE and HOW TO PLAY IT, have been very popular since the 1920s. Florence Scovel Shinn is widely appreciated as one of the greatest American spiritual teachers of the twentieth century.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I also started reading about THE GAME OF LIFE and found it to be inspirational on several levels, but somethings made me slightly uncomfortable and I was ready to overlook them. But then I read more about the author and dropped the book immediately.
Anytime I see anything that says Metaphysical and has stuff to do with Spriit guides makes me feel unsettled.
I used to read up on the occult when I was very lackadaisical about God, just out of curiousity. And almost everything about westernized occult was Metaphysics this and Metaphyisics that.
So it was very puzzling to me that someone could be a Christian and a Metaphysical teacher.

I guess that's what LOA, The secret, Game of Life and some other self help/positive thinking books writen by "Spiritual Guides" and "Metaphysical Teachers/dabblers" boils down to: Positive messages, from questionable messengers (questionable from a Christian perspective).

I have a bunch of questions about this myself.

So what is more important to you as a Christian, the message or the messenger?

Do you think Christians should be thankful for the spark that LOAism has lit? Even if you don't think its of God (Thats up to debate), should you be thankful for that fact that use of the principles have somehow strengthened your faith in God? Is that even possible?

Why is it that all of a sudden, everyone is paying attention to "the power of positive thinking"? It has been around for a while and in fact it is almost commonsensical , but why the sudden "wave of interest"?

Has anyone heard of the 100th Monkey theory and do you believe it? Do you think it has anything to do with the sudden wave of LOAism/ Secretism?

I really don't like seeing 100 threads about the same thing, so I am posting this in this thread as I feel it all ties together, I hope you don't mind Secretdiamond.

alexstin

Omoge said:
Florence Scovel Shinn
Florence Shinn here was a skilled artist who lived in New York City during the early twentieth century. She also became known as a skilled METAPHYSICAL teacher and SPIRITUAL LUMINARY. Her lectures were well-attended and her books, including the classic The GAME of LIFE and HOW TO PLAY IT, have been very popular since the 1920s. Florence Scovel Shinn is widely appreciated as one of the greatest American spiritual teachers of the twentieth century.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I also started reading about THE GAME OF LIFE and found it to be inspirational on several levels, but somethings made me slightly uncomfortable and I was ready to overlook them. But then I read more about the author and dropped the book immediately.
Anytime I see anything that says Metaphysical and has stuff to do with Spriit guides makes me feel unsettled.
I used to read up on the occult when I was very lackadaisical about God, just out of curiousity. And almost everything about westernized occult was Metaphysics this and Metaphyisics that.
So it was very puzzling to me that someone could be a Christian and a Metaphysical teacher.

I guess that's what LOA, The secret, Game of Life and some other self help/positive thinking books writen by "Spiritual Guides" and "Metaphysical Teachers/dabblers" boils down to: Positive messages, from questionable messengers (questionable from a Christian perspective).

I have a bunch of questions about this myself.

So what is more important to you as a Christian, the message or the messenger?

Do you think Christians should be thankful for the spark that LOAism has lit? Even if you don't think its of God (Thats up to debate), should you be thankful for that fact that use of the principles have somehow strengthened your faith in God? Is that even possible?

Why is it that all of a sudden, everyone is paying attention to "the power of positive thinking"? It has been around for a while and in fact it is almost commonsensical , but why the sudden "wave of interest"?

Has anyone heard of the 100th Monkey theory and do you believe it? Do you think it has anything to do with the sudden wave of LOAism/ Secretism?

I really don't like seeing 100 threads about the same thing, so I am posting this in this thread as I feel it all ties together, I hope you don't mind Secretdiamond.

We all want to be able to control our circumstances. More so then ever before I believe the world feels helpless and is tired of the way they've been living. They want to change but don't know how and so they latch on to whatever seems to feel that void.

We are managers by nature. From the beginning God wanted us to have control. Unfortunately we lost the ability to control our lives and environment when Adam and Eve fell. God made a way for us to regain that control. It's not through attracting things in your life but submitting to Holy Spirit who in turn will lead you into all truth. This will then position you to receive every good and perfect gift that the Father has for you.

Remember, the very fact that you exist means that God had a specific work just for you. Once you understand your purpose and begin to walk in it, God releases everything that you need to fulfill it.

Of course God can bless just because He's a gracious Father but ultimately God wants to provide you with the things that He sees fit for the journey He has called you on.:)

Omoge

I totally get your intent Secretdiamond, I am in the same place right now. Trying to grow in faith, there's only so much I can pray to God about. I have to start doing also and thinking positive consistently. You can ask God to change your thinking all you want, but you also have to be actively working with God to change your thinking.
I guess the question is should I give credit to LOA for reminding me of principles I used to practice, (some how I fell of the wagon)?

The thing is if LOA fever had not happened( as much as I disagree with alot of it teachings) , it would have taken me longer or taken something drastic for me to go back to those "faith in action" and "positive thinking" principles.

Nice & Wavy

pebbles said:

I agree too, pebbles. When christians have to succumb to name calling, then something certainly is wrong. I pray that those who feel like this is the answer, will humble themselves and see that we should be able to come together, whether we agree or not, and have a conversation about the TRUTH. It's all about Jesus...nothing more.

I love coming to the Christian Fellowship Board and sharing with the other saints of God. I think we need to really take a look at ourselves and see if we are allowing the enemy to come in an take away from what this board stands for.

In the book of Acts 4:32, it says..."All the believers were one in heart and mind." This is where we need to be, saints of God...with one heart and one mind here on this board. We must be able to come together and share what the Lord is doing in our lives. Time and time again we read how the people tried to stop the apostles from teaching and preaching the Word of God, but...they never stopped. Even with flogging, imprisonment and the like, they kept going with one heart and one mind, always lifting up the Name of the Most High God, Jesus Christ. Sharing the Gospel. This is what we must do, even in a forum such as this. We must always remain in an atmosphere of togetherness. People are always watching to see what will the Christians fight about today. We must not let our good be evil spoken of...no matter what. Our mission is to lead others to Jesus Christ. We are ambassadors for Him. We must lead by example.

I pray that the Lord will close every door of strife and contention that has crept its way into the hearts of the people. I pray that every person here recognizes that he/she is a child of God and that we are together from the household of faith. That the One and only true and living God will permeate our hearts and our minds to have His Heart and His Mind. To want what He wants, to love what He loves and to hate what He hates. To come together and know that if God be for us, who can prosper against us? I pray that the Living God breathes upon us and causes us to be vessels of honor, meet for the Master's use, prepared unto every good work, in the Name of Jesus. I pray that as we come together to fast and pray for every person in these forums, that the grounds will be shakened and that freedom will come forth in their lives. I pray that others will see a difference in us as believers and desire to have the Peace that we have and ask how can they get this peace? I pray that we will share the Gospel without prejudice and that we will do it in love...knowing and understanding that the Lord doesn't want anyone to perish, but ALL to come to repentance. I pray that we will do this together, so that WE may see lives changed and God will get ALL THE GLORY. In Jesus Name. AMEN.

That's what its about people....seeing lives change.

May the Peace of God, which passes ALL understanding, guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

Blessings to you, always.

Last edited:

Shimmie

Staff member
pebbles said:
For me, this is really the whole heart of the matter. Thanks, Shimmie!! :)

It is the whole heart of the matter. We either trust God and ONLY God or we don't. The number one compliment that I receive over and over in my life in this forum and out of this forum is that "I am so positive."

The entire source of it has come from only one person. My faith and love in the Lord Jesus Christ. I believe Him. Period!

And I refuse to allow the devil to interfere with it. Too great a price has been paid for me to have it. I love God and have too much respect for who He is to allow Him to be compromised or watered down by any means.

I have to share this scripture pertaining to the Christianity forum. It's something to pray about:

I Samuel 4:21-22

21 And she named the child ICHABOD, saying, The glory is departed from Israel: because the ark of God was taken, and because of her father in law and her husband.
22 And she said, The glory is departed from Israel: for the ark of God is taken.

This is what saddens me:

Christians are becoming too weak in their faith. For the fear of offending someone, Christians are accepting what they should, instead, be taking a stand against. We cry because prayer has been taken out of schools and then blame it on the devil....but it was us who allowed him to do it.

We shutter at the horror of gay marriages and gay ministers, and gay rights and the infiltration of it into our homes, our schools, our children and now our churches. .... but it was still us who allowed it to happen.

What's next? No matter how 'little' a thing may appear, we have to nip it in the bud. Jesus wasn't playing games about separating the tares from the wheat. Why? Because he knows the influence of one over the other. And what's frightening, is that God always warned His children from being associated with others who were not of His faith and His law.

He knew that as Christians, we would be the weaker to succomb to the beliefs of others ..... and why is that? Because of fear...fear of man and what he or she may think of us. 'We' don't want our beliefs to offend. Yet we allow them to offend ours; and then dictate to us what we can and cannot do or say as Christians.

Why in Jesus' Name do Christians go on TV and Apologize for being a Christian? I will never forget how TD Jakes whimped out when he was on Larry King's show a few years back. He didn't speak a word about Jesus and His Lordship. He was a whimp. Since when is Larry King God? Since when is Oprah God?

I making a point. If we do not take a stand for our faith and what's right in Jesus Christ, then we may as well just call it quits and not even dare to call ourselves Christians. Just make the devil god, serve him, and don't look back. That's exactly where Christianity is headed.

We as Christians KNOW that the New Age Movement is a travesty and a dishonor to God and who He is. They do not acknowledge Jesus as Lord. And yet, we still want to take a look or check it out to see if it will fit into 'our' lives to make life better. :nono: :(

AND This is what pulled me into this thread when I read the following (below) and it grieved me. It totally grieved my spirit and I thought. Oh God, is this what this forum has come to? What compromise? Alienation from you? Is this the book of Hosea all over again? Spiritual Adultery in worship?

Before I post what drew me in here, I make no judgment upon the character of the person who posted. My issue is with the subject and how satan is out to blind and deceive Believers into thinking that the LOA is harmless. This is not a game. satan is out to deceive and rob you of your faith in God and God alone. He is trying to weaken us. For he knows the more time we spend with God alone, the stronger we become. And the weaker he becomes against us.

I don't want to refute or dispute the LoA. Instead, I would like to embrace it even more, while applying it to my walk with God. I believe that one can be a Christian and believe in the Law of Attraction without compromising his/her relationship with God.

I would like this thread to be used for us to discuss how we can apply the LoA to our lives as Christians and fuse it together into one big application of FAITH. Can we share thoughts, life experiences, info, scriptures, etc? For those who have mastered it, can you help us novices out? Thanks & God bless.

Lord Jesus have mercy. Please have mercy. :( :( :( :( :(

I'm not posting this to cause trouble. But it is a warning. Mark it. WE cannot mix witchcraft with pure worship and a pure relationship with God. There is no such thing as a blend of the two. Nor will there ever be.

How effect will our prayers be if we allow this? The LOA DOES NOT belong in the Christianity forum or in any Christian's life in any format. If this happens, then we may as well close this forum down, for it will not be of God. The presence of God will not be here among us. There will be a sign placed upon the Christianity forum "Ichabod" ... the presence of the Lord has departed.

We need healing and deliverance; marriages need to be saved; children need protection and so many other issues of life that only prayer and our relationship with God can handle. And the devil knows that without our faith in God, that we will be defeated in helping others as we are called.

Jesus said that because we believe in Him, we will do HIS works and greater works we will do, because we are His own. How can we perform these greater works without God in our hearts completely... and uncompromised.

The members here can hate me or love me. I truly do not care. I don't apologize for taking a stand against the devil and his mess. I'm not afraid of Larry King or Oprah and certainly not any devil. I've been given full authority over him by the shed Blood of Jesus. I'd be a fool to wimp out because somebody doesn't like it. I have great news. Jesus is still Lord. And it's not changing for anyone or any devil. It's too late to try and change me. I've spent 25 years of my life as a Christian casting many a devil out of people's homes and out of them. I'm not about to back down. The same people who get angry with me are also the very same ones who come to me for prayer. They know I don't play.

My care is for the truth of God to be brought forth and to warn people ahead of time before they get into something that is way above their heads. witchcraft is nothing to play with. There is nothing innocent about it. I've been watching the results of many on this forum and it's not pretty and it's not the answer to what they have been seeking. If it were than why is so much uncertainty attached to it? Why is there still so much confusion in their lives? God is not the author of confusion. But the LOA obviously is.

Do you see what the devil is doing? he's having a hayday with the mindset of those who practice this.

There are also innocent children who may come across this thread and we will be held accountable for what we say regarding this subject. We sit and wonder why our children are acting 'crazy'... again an ungodly influence has come in. Why? Because we allowed it to.

We MUST choose our god. Or simply choose God and trust Him AND take a stand for Him. It's just that simple. One other thing. Since when is God an opinion? He's GOD! Stop apologizing for being a Christian.

If we are ashamed of Jesus, then He will be ashamed of us. The thing is, He's so loving that He still loves us anyway and shows great faith and pride in us even when we are ashamed of Him in front of others. We owe Him better then we've been giving Him. Far better.

I know I'm 'hard' with this subject. But it has to be this way. We cannot play games here.

Believe it or not...this was totally written in love. ;)

Nice & Wavy

Omoge said:
I totally get your intent Secretdiamond, I am in the same place right now.
Trying to grow in faith, there's only so much I can pray to God about.
I have to start doing also and thinking positive consistently. You can ask God to change your thinking all you want, but you also have to be actively working with God to change your thinking.
I guess the question is should I give credit to LOA for reminding me of principles I used to practice, (some how I fell of the wagon)?

The thing is if LOA fever had not happened( as much as I disagree with alot of it teachings) , it would have taken me longer or taken something drastic for me to go back to those "faith in action" and "positive thinking" principles.

What? :confused:

live2bgr8

pebbles said:

That's true... But she was not calling any particular person out... She was just stating her opinion. Even if the majority doesn't agree with her, doesn't she have that right?

gn1g

Preach shimmie. Say on, say on!

I needed to hear that. We must worship Him in spirit and truth.

LOA is very tempting in that it looks like a short cut.

Nice & Wavy

Thank you, Shimmie. Thank you having a heart after God. Thank you for your boldness and not being ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, for it is power to those who believe. Thank you for giving it all you got here on the forum. You are blessed and highly favored of the Lord, Shimmie. God has instructed you and you are being obediant to His Word. You are blessed coming in and blessed going out and whatsoever you put your hands too, you will prosper in. I pray this over your life in the Name of Jesus!

Shimmie said:
It is the whole heart of the matter. We either trust God and ONLY God or we don't. The number one compliment that I receive over and over in my life in this forum and out of this forum is that "I am so positive."

The entire source of it has come from only one person. My faith and love in the Lord Jesus Christ. I believe Him. Period!

And I refuse to allow the devil to interfere with it. Too great a price has been paid for me to have it. I love God and have too much respect for who He is to allow Him to be compromised or watered down by any means.

I have to share this scripture pertaining to the Christianity forum. It's something to pray about:

I Samuel 4:21-22

21 And she named the child ICHABOD, saying, The glory is departed from Israel: because the ark of God was taken, and because of her father in law and her husband.
22 And she said, The glory is departed from Israel: for the ark of God is taken.

This is what saddens me:

Christians are becoming too weak in their faith. For the fear of offending someone, Christians are accepting what they should, instead, be taking a stand against. We cry because prayer has been taken out of schools and then blame it on the devil....but it was us who allowed him to do it.

We shutter at the horror of gay marriages and gay ministers, and gay rights and the infiltration of it into our homes, our schools, our children and now our churches. .... but it was still us who allowed it to happen.

What's next? No matter how 'little' a thing may appear, we have to nip it in the bud. Jesus wasn't playing games about separating the tares from the wheat. Why? Because he knows the influence of one over the other. And what's frightening, is that God always warned His children from being associated with others who were not of His faith and His law.

He knew that as Christians, we would be the weaker to succomb to the beliefs of others ..... and why is that? Because of fear...fear of man and what he or she may think of us. 'We' don't want our beliefs to offend. Yet we allow them to offend ours; and then dictate to us what we can and cannot do or say as Christians.

Why in Jesus' Name do Christians go on TV and Apologize for being a Christian? I will never forget how TD Jakes whimped out when he was on Larry King's show a few years back. He didn't speak a word about Jesus and His Lordship. He was a whimp. Since when is Larry King God? Since when is Oprah God?

I making a point. If we do not take a stand for our faith and what's right in Jesus Christ, then we may as well just call it quits and not even dare to call ourselves Christians. Just make the devil god, serve him, and don't look back. That's exactly where Christianity is headed.

We as Christians KNOW that the New Age Movement is a travesty and a dishonor to God and who He is. They do not acknowledge Jesus as Lord. And yet, we still want to take a look or check it out to see if it will fit into 'our' lives to make life better. :nono: :(

AND This is what pulled me into this thread when I read the following (below) and it grieved me. It totally grieved my spirit and I thought. Oh God, is this what this forum has come to? What compromise? Alienation from you? Is this the book of Hosea all over again? Spiritual Adultery in worship?

Before I post what drew me in here, I make no judgment upon the character of the person who posted. My issue is with the subject and how satan is out to blind and deceive Believers into thinking that the LOA is harmless. This is not a game. satan is out to deceive and rob you of your faith in God and God alone. He is trying to weaken us. For he knows the more time we spend with God alone, the stronger we become. And the weaker he becomes against us.

Lord Jesus have mercy. Please have mercy. :( :( :( :( :(

I'm not posting this to cause trouble. But it is a warning. Mark it. WE cannot mix witchcraft with pure worship and a pure relationship with God. There is no such thing as a blend of the two. Nor will there ever be.

How effect will our prayers be if we allow this? The LOA DOES NOT belong in the Christianity forum or in any Christian's life in any format. If this happens, then we may as well close this forum down, for it will not be of God. The presence of God will not be here among us. There will be a sign placed upon the Christianity forum "Ichabod" ... the presence of the Lord has departed.

We need healing and deliverance; marriages need to be saved; children need protection and so many other issues of life that only prayer and our relationship with God can handle. And the devil knows that without our faith in God, that we will be defeated in helping others as we are called.

Jesus said that because we believe in Him, we will do HIS works and greater works we will do, because we are His own. How can we perform these greater works without God in our hearts completely... and uncompromised.

The members here can hate me or love me. I truly do not care. I don't apologize for taking a stand against the devil and his mess. I'm not afraid of Larry King or Oprah and certainly not any devil. I've been given full authority over him by the shed Blood of Jesus. I'd be a fool to wimp out because somebody doesn't like it. I have great news. Jesus is still Lord. And it's not changing for anyone or any devil. It's too late to try and change me. I've spent 25 years of my life as a Christian casting many a devil out of people's homes and out of them. I'm not about to back down. The same people who get angry with me are also the very same ones who come to me for prayer. They know I don't play.

My care is for the truth of God to be brought forth and to warn people ahead of time before they get into something that is way above their heads. witchcraft is nothing to play with. There is nothing innocent about it. I've been watching the results of many on this forum and it's not pretty and it's not the answer to what they have been seeking. If it were than why is so much uncertainty attached to it? Why is there still so much confusion in their lives? God is not the author of confusion. But the LOA obviously is.

Do you see what the devil is doing? he's having a hayday with the mindset of those who practice this.

There are also innocent children who may come across this thread and we will be held accountable for what we say regarding this subject. We sit and wonder why our children are acting 'crazy'... again an ungodly influence has come in. Why? Because we allowed it to.

We MUST choose our god. Or simply choose God and trust Him AND take a stand for Him. It's just that simple. One other thing. Since when is God an opinion? He's GOD! Stop apologizing for being a Christian.

If we are ashamed of Jesus, then He will be ashamed of us. The thing is, He's so loving that He still loves us anyway and shows great faith and pride in us even when we are ashamed of Him in front of others. We owe Him better then we've been giving Him. Far better.

I know I'm 'hard' with this subject. But it has to be this way. We cannot play games here.

Believe it or not...this was totally written in love. ;)

Nice & Wavy

kelouis75 said:
That's true... But she was not calling any particular person out... She was just stating her opinion. Even if the majority doesn't agree with her, doesn't she have that right?

This is what the problem here on this board is with us as believers. We are so quick to say..."It's an opinion" and then regard it as "ok" and never recognize that our thoughts are not original thoughts. We are either being led by God or by the enemy. I'm not saying this about her, per se, but what I am saying is this....The bible says..."casting down imaginations and every high thing that will exalt itself against the knowledge of God and bring every thought to the obediance of Jesus Christ." Opinions is included in the 'every thought' as well and we as believers must recognize that just because someone has one, doesn't mean that its ok to state it as a fact.