Can you enhance natural hair color?

lovelexi

My hair is a deep brown and I really like that color but I notice that in the summer it is lighter but in the winter my hair is darker. I guess its due to sun exposure. Well I want to know if there is anyway to intensify my hair color without a rinse or chemical processing. I've been thinking about John Freida Color Glaze http://www.johnfrieda.com/products/product_detail.asp?productLine=brilliant_brunette&pid=77

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to enhance your natural hair color? Or any natural methods of doing so?

i dont know any "natural" processes accept sitting under one of those lamps they use for people who get depression in the winter but idk if it will do the same for your hair but sun -in brings out your natural color. i found i have a red undertone, VERY drying though!

thanks. i noticed that with the sun also. i love summer because my hair gets lighter but it can get very dry.

Coffee will do it.
Just put some in your DC (or do a coffee rinse), and it will intensify the brown that you have in there. And if you have any natural highlights, it will bring them out. This is a link to how to do coffee rinses.
And the same company also sells shampoo bars containing coffee.

Organix also makes a Mocha Espresso Conditioner that claims to enhance the color of your hair. I have it, but have never used it, so I don't know if it really works. But if you can track down a bottle, that's another option you may want to try.

Coffee will do it.
Just put some in your DC (or do a coffee rinse), and it will intensify the brown that you have in there. And if you have any natural highlights, it will bring them out. This is a link to how to do coffee rinses.
And the same company also sells shampoo bars containing coffee.

Organix also makes a Mocha Espresso Conditioner that claims to enhance the color of your hair. I have it, but have never used it, so I don't know if it really works. But if you can track down a bottle, that's another option you may want to try.

I've heard good things about coffee for hair. If you're looking for highlights, you can also try honey. I don't like the way honey feels in my hair so I haven't done much of it, but lots of ladies have reported getting highlights from continued use

Damn it, I resemble that remark!!!!

:grin:

i dont know any "natural" processes accept sitting under one of those lamps they use for people who get depression in the winter but idk if it will do the same for your hair but sun -in brings out your natural color. i found i have a red undertone, VERY drying though!

I have the following information about tea rinses saved in this word document I keep with any interesting stuff I find about hair. However, I don't really keep track of my sources so I don't remember exactly what website I got it from but hopefully this helps:

Types of rinses:

Chamomile: This will bring our natural blonde highlights in light-colored hair. You can also add natural lemon juice to heighten lightening effects in the sunlight. This is a safe and effective alternative to products like "Sun-In" which can damage hair.

Calendula: This will bring out the aubrun and red-highlights of medium colored hair.

Rosemary: This will bring out the warmth, richness and depth of dark colored hair. Rosemary is also been known to stimulate the scalp, prevent hair loss and help to regrow hair.

Nettle: This will help prevent and treat dandruff and stimulate circulation in the scalp. Excellent for use during winter.

I did a chamomile tea rinse last week and my year old highlights looked a little brighter. Nothing major but I did notice a difference. It even said something about it lightening brown hair on the box. I can't remember which brand. PM if you want it and I'll look later. HTH!

My mum and I used to use lemon. We used to spray it into our hair and go out in the sun, worked wonderfully - although I did notice a residue of some sort on my hair that was white and hard and looked like dandruff from afar. Even though it works it is extremely drying though so unless you have strong hair and plan to moisturize or deep condition using moisturizing conditioners I do not suggest it.

OooOOo! I just had a thought, you can add it a good leave in or dilute it so the acid isn't as strong to fry you hair. Just an idea. :look:

Coffee and tea rinses should enhance your color, also things like cinnamon and tumeric, too.

Be careful with acidic rinses, they can cause drying and breakage or eat away at your hair strands if the mixture is too strong.

John Frieda has a line called Brilliant Brunette that is meant to enhance the natural color of your hair.

Doesn't that stuff have a little bit of hair dye, like a rinse or something in it? I vaguely remember a white friend of mine using it and complaining about the mess from the dye. :blush:

All of this is helpful guys! I could use a bit of honey in my reggie. So that has a dual purpose and coffee rinses seems affordable and easy to do.

Hi!
I'm not sure if lighter hair is what you want but.....
I know i've tried this in the past with EXCELLENT results.... I would
apply plain yogurt to my hair, putting a shower cap on and leaving on for 15-30 minutes (note that leaving it on longer can be especially drying)- I think it's the acids in the yogurt that make it work well, but, my hair was lightened after one try and it beat the heck out of using hair dye....

I'm tempted to try cassia obovata and buxus dioica from mehandi.com- it's for blonde henna users to mix with their henna... I know the common belief is you can't use henna/powders to LIGHTEN hair but I know it's false.. I went from black dyed hair to fiery red (in the light using it)... hope this helps!

Coffee and tea rinses should enhance your color, also things like cinnamon and tumeric, too.

Be careful with acidic rinses, they can cause drying and breakage or eat away at your hair strands if the mixture is too strong.

Cinnamon lightens hair and tumeric will add a yellow stain.

Hi!
I'm not sure if lighter hair is what you want but.....
I know i've tried this in the past with EXCELLENT results.... I would
apply plain yogurt to my hair, putting a shower cap on and leaving on for 15-30 minutes (note that leaving it on longer can be especially drying)- I think it's the acids in the yogurt that make it work well, but, my hair was lightened after one try and it beat the heck out of using hair dye....

I'm tempted to try cassia obovata and buxus dioica from mehandi.com- it's for blonde henna users to mix with their henna... I know the common belief is you can't use henna/powders to LIGHTEN hair but I know it's false.. I went from black dyed hair to fiery red (in the light using it)... hope this helps!
Regular plain old yogurt? The type I can pick up at Whole Foods? This is a must try!

Back