Can you help me find an oil?

colibri972

Hello ladies,

I would like to find an oil that works for me....My problem is that my hair hates oils. They leave my mane brittle and dry.:nono:

It's hard to keep your hair moisturized without oils, I just can't seal water in my strands and since I live in a very hot country humectant are not rely useful.

Just a description of my hair:
-4B/4C
- High porosity
- Coarse, ribbon like : If you take a strand of my hair and make it roll between two fingers you can feel the two sides of my hair. It's like a rigid ribbon not a cylinder.
- protein sensitive (plant extract are a nono too)
- Relaxed

oil I've already tried:
- evoo : desert city
- almond oil : no no
- grape seed oil : no no
- coconut oil : Evil!
- jojoba oil : so sad to see it don't work for me
- castor oil : same thing
- brocoli seed oil : awful
- wheat germ oil : yuck ( weird because my hair appreciate synthetic ceramides)

So I call out all the ladies with the same hair than me, please tell me what oil finnaly works for you?

Thank you!

Humm, I am thinking the issue is not the oil, but too much heat in your regime.

1. I see you have a relaxer, but you are looking for a extra hot electric hot comb in your siggie?
2. Secondly, I see that you don't like humectants like aloe vera or glycerin in your hair either. I suspect it is because they revert your hair styles. Humectants chemically work best in humid places like where you live.

3. Seems like you live in a place where it is humid, so even permed 4c hair would revert.

Your hair sounds heat damaged, and nothing is going to repair that.

Quit pressing your relaxer, slowly trim away your heat damage. Quit using moisture blocker to have straight hair. Find styles that work with relaxed 4c hair in your climate.

Based upon your descriptors and experiences, I would recommend:

- Grape Seed (given its high essential fatty acid content and light consistency)
- Macadamia Nut (since it's light and highly emollient, and has properties similar to mink oil and sebum)
- Rice Bran (due to its conditioning properties)

colibri972

passionfruit
guava seed
sapote
argan
sunflower
safflower
rice bran
walnut
marula
baobob
manaketti
macadamia
avocado
hemp
pumpkin seed
acai

Murumuru or cupuacu butter may be an option as well. Use the oils you have as body lotions or add them to conditioners. Have you tried the loc method yet? I reverse the letters and utilize it in the winter months when my hair is dryest. You may need a water based cream/lotion then seal in the mositure with oil. l- liquid, o-oil, c- cream.... I do lco.

Another thing to consider is getting a hair analysis in the time you buy all these products and oils they could nail your hair issues by looking at the hair under a microscope. This would save you $$$$ in the long term cause you would be sure of what works for your hair.

Here are some threads to help you along:

moisturizng spray suggestions: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=671611&highlight=komaza

komaza hair analysis: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=626329&highlight=komaza

Loc method: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=661083&highlight=loc+method

What products are you using to maintain your hair in terms of shampoo, conditioner, etc... and above all what is your techniques & styles that you wear regularly.

I started using my Tarte Maracuja oil to seal my hair. It is wonderful and I only need 1-2 drops per 1/3 of my hair (my head is in 12 braids)

I started using my Tarte Maracuja oil to seal my hair. It is wonderful and I only need 1-2 drops per 1/3 of my hair (my head is in 12 braids)

JUST found out that Maracuja oil is passionfruit. will look into buying bulk instead of Tarte.
Yeah, when I 1st saw Tarte offer their oil for $45+ on QVC for less than 2 oz., I thought what a rip-off! I bought 32 oz. for $45 from fromnaturewithlove.com.

OP, I'm 4CZ natural, fine, medium density.

I use Sapote (my #1 oil)
Argan
Maracuja

They work well for me.

Maybe you could try avocado, papaya or sunflower oils or some butters

Angel of the North
I've not been lucky with butters too. Avocado and sunflower are a no no too. Papaya oil? Never heard of but I want to try it!

We don't have the same hair description but I second avocado. It's awesome.

divachyk
I'm afraid of avocado, I did a hair mask with the pulp and my hair was dryyyy.

Humm, I am thinking the issue is not the oil, but too much heat in your regime.

1. I see you have a relaxer, but you are looking for a extra hot electric hot comb in your siggie?
2. Secondly, I see that you don't like humectants like aloe vera or glycerin in your hair either. I suspect it is because they revert your hair styles. Humectants chemically work best in humid places like where you live.

3. Seems like you live in a place where it is humid, so even permed 4c hair would revert.

Your hair sounds heat damaged, and nothing is going to repair that.

Quit pressing your relaxer, slowly trim away your heat damage. Quit using moisture blocker to have straight hair. Find styles that work with relaxed 4c hair in your climate.

Seamonster

... I need to erase my siggie
So where to start?

1. WHen I was looking for this comb I was natural. I was interested by heat training but never did. And now I don't even use a blowdryer.
2. I don't like glycerin because where I live the dew point is very looow, that's mean dry sticky hair.
I don't like aloe vera because it can act like protein on my hair.
3. Martinique is not humid... even when it rain the dew point stay low

Your hair sounds heat damaged, and nothing is going to repair that : I hardly use heat...

Quit pressing your relaxer : never did
slowly trim away your heat damage: don't have too because I hardly use heat
Quit using moisture blocker to have straight hair :I said I don't like glycerin but I use water and panthenol and propylene glycol...
Find styles that work with relaxed 4c hair in your climate :.. I love my bun

Too bad Sherlock Holmes I'm not the kind of girl who put her hairstyle first! I'm on LHCF since 2005 and if I learn something it's when your mane is already relaxed, use rollerset if you want super sleek hair (or wrap them).

Based upon your descriptors and experiences, I would recommend:

- Grape Seed (given its high essential fatty acid content and light consistency)
- Macadamia Nut (since it's light and highly emollient, and has properties similar to mink oil and sebum)
- Rice Bran (due to its conditioning properties)

Try sunflower or argan oil

PJaye
ellebelle88

Grape seed and sun flower oils were awful on my hair. Macadamia and rice bran were the next on my list. I wanted to try mink oil but it seems that macadamia can do the trick without the cruelty. I will buy them next month if Argan oil is a fail.

IrrationalThoughts
aargh!The price of this oil! it better be effective lool.

colibri972

passionfruit
guava seed
sapote
argan
sunflower
safflower
rice bran
walnut
marula
baobob
manaketti
macadamia
avocado
hemp
pumpkin seed
acai

Murumuru or cupuacu butter may be an option as well. Use the oils you have as body lotions or add them to conditioners. Have you tried the loc method yet? I reverse the letters and utilize it in the winter months when my hair is dryest. You may need a water based cream/lotion then seal in the mositure with oil. l- liquid, o-oil, c- cream.... I do lco.

Another thing to consider is getting a hair analysis in the time you buy all these products and oils they could nail your hair issues by looking at the hair under a microscope. This would save you $$$$ in the long term cause you would be sure of what works for your hair.

Here are some threads to help you along:

moisturizng spray suggestions: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=671611&highlight=komaza

komaza hair analysis: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=626329&highlight=komaza

Loc method: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=661083&highlight=loc+method

What products are you using to maintain your hair in terms of shampoo, conditioner, etc... and above all what is your techniques & styles that you wear regularly.

southerncitygirl

Murumuru or cupuacu butter were a fail. Good idea for the body lotion too bad for my cousin I was used to give her all my bottles.
"You may need a water based cream/lotion then seal in the mositure with oil."
Yeah! That 's why I opened this thread I want to do the L.O.C method so I'm looking for an oil that will work for me. Now it's only L.C.

Komaza hair analysis is interesting when it will be available in my country I will give him a try.

Shampoo :
-C.O.N Argan oil (don't know why but my hair are ok with it so I have good hope for pure argan oil)
- Porosity control
- a chelating poo (don't remember the name)

Conditioner :

-Wella hydrate
-Matrix total result repair
-Tresemme hydrate curl or moisture lock
- Porosity control
- Tigi bed head urban anti dotes mix with vitamin e oil

leave in :
- my own mix of panthenol and water
- kerastase chroma thermique thermo shine

Yeah, when I 1st saw Tarte offer their oil for $45+ on QVC for less than 2 oz., I thought what a rip-off! I bought 32 oz. for $45 from fromnaturewithlove.com.

OP, I'm 4CZ natural, fine, medium density.

I use Sapote (my #1 oil)
Argan
Maracuja

They work well for me.

Pompous Blue
Are you protein sensitive too? I've used sapote without success.

colibri972 Have you thought about not bothering with oils and perhaps sealing in your moisture with a serum or a home made concoction of some sort, clearly oils don't agree with your hair?

What about butters and oils whipped up together? What have you used and had success with, maybe we can suggest similar products or alternatives.

colibri972 Have you thought about not bothering with oils and perhaps sealing in your moisture with a serum or a home made concoction of some sort, clearly oils don't agree with your hair?

What about butters and oils whipped up together? What have you used and had success with, maybe we can suggest similar products or alternatives.

Angel of the North

Yes I've tought about it but believe me it's hard to retain moisture when you can't seal it. When you talk about serum you mean silicone based product?

I've already tried the oil whipped with the butter even with aloe vera : fail.
But now you talk about it I realize that my hair is not bothered by oil when I use ceramide first. Maybe because ceramides act like shield ... I will try my lotion then ceramides cream and finally oil, maybe it will work.

I have success with water, panthenol, ceramides,...
My hair hates protein (silk and keratin can be used one time only every two weeks lol), herbal extract, and the majority of oil... so that mean I can't use a lot of product.

@Pompous Blue
Are you protein sensitive too? I've used sapote without success.
colibri972
No. I once thought I was protein sensitive but I found out I wasn't using a conditioner that was moisturizing enough after a protein treatment. I can now do henna and a hard-core protein treatment within one week and do not suffer from protein overload or rough hair. I use Aphogee 2-step and Dudley's DRC 28.

THe moisturizing conditioners that work best for me are darcysbotanicals.com Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, phyto-usa.com Phytokarite and Phytojoba mask. I use these conditioners with steam, 30 minutes or less. Never fails me.

Sapote oil leaves my hair so very soft and supple.

I like grape seed and meadowfoam seed oils. They are light, non-greasy, and more "moisturizing" than other oils.

I use these oils under my creamy leave-ins.

colibri972

Thanks for correcting me. I live in a dessert environment and I have to baggy all the time to keep in moisture. The dessert can be so brutal, it can dry out my skin, burn me, and turn my hair to hay while I hike. At the beach the salt air can suck the moisture out of my hair while I am enjoying nature.

In Los Angeles we have the blessing of being a semi desert by the beach so it can be tough on the hair.

Have you tried the baggy method to retain moisture? Chicoro has some great techniques .

Back