Can you ladies help determine my hair type?

soon2bsl

Hey ladies, I'm 22 weeks post relaxer and I'm a long term transitioner. Before I joined LHCF in June 09' I never considered going natural, but this board has opened my eyes to a whole new world...I'm so glad I've decided to go natural and I'm enjoying this journey.

Since I have a good amount of new growth I wanted to see if you ladies had any idea what my hair type could possibly be. I know that I won't fully know what my hair will look like until all the relaxed ends are gone but it would still give me an idea. I'm thinking I'm mostly 3c (crown, sides, and nape) with some 4a in the middle. Let me know what you all think. TIA!

Attachments

• 761.jpg
    761.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 208
  • 757.jpg
    757.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 205
  • 783.jpg
    783.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 284
  • 786.jpg
    786.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Thanks ladies! Until I took recent pics, I figured I was mostly 4a, but then saw from my pics it's seems like I have more 3c texture with 4a in the middle, so that's why I wanted to do this post to see what the "experts" thought :)

Last edited:
Hey ladies, I'm 22 weeks post relaxer and I'm a long term transitioner. Before I joined LHCF in June 09' I never considered going natural, but this board has opened my eyes to a whole new world...I'm so glad I've decided to go natural and I'm enjoying this journey.

Since I have a good amount of new growth I wanted to see if you ladies had any idea what my hair type could possibly be. I know that I won't fully know what my hair will look like until all the relaxed ends are gone but it would still give me an idea. I'm thinking I'm mostly 3c (crown, sides, and nape) with some 4a in the middle. Let me know what you all think. TIA!

I'm not going to comment on the hair type piece because I'm not the best at that. Your hair is beautiful though. I wanted to chime in and say if it wasn't for this board I would have never thought about going natural either :yep:.

The nape looks 3c and the rest looks 4a. I am assuming that in the first three photos (based on the fourth) that your hair is not soaking wet and was not air dried to that state. That it has been covered in some manner resulting in the waves? If so, then I think you're 4a. If your hair dried naturally like that (without a scar or cap) or that is your hair soaking wet then I would say you are all 3c.

ETA: And as the other posters have said, either way, it looks thick, healthy and pretty.

Hope that helps. Welcome to the board!

Last edited:
The nape looks 3c and the rest looks 4a. I am assuming that in the first three photos (based on the fourth) that your hair is not soaking wet and was not air dried to that state. That it has been covered in some manner resulting in the waves? If so, then I think you're 4a. If your hair dried naturally like that (without a scar or cap) or that is your hair soaking wet then I would say you are all 3c.

ETA: And as the other posters have said, either way, it looks thick, healthy and pretty.

True :yep:

I'm leaning towards 3c/4a, but I was hesitant to judge because the hair is laying down like that. Some 4a heads can slick their hair back and it'd look similar.

Whatever type it is, it's very pretty :yep:

I think it is hard to tell because you have your hair slicked back.
Either way, your hair is beautiful.

You ladies are so knowledgable :) Thanks for the welcome. CMW45 I believe the first couple photos was taken about 30 mins after I DC, detangled and put it into a bun, and tied my scarf on. I put a little NTM and coconut oil in it. It ends up looking like that wet or dry, , but I always put my scarf on after I wash and put my hair in a ponytail/bun to lay flatter.

Last edited:
I agree with cmw45. My hair looked exactly like yours while I was transitioning and it turns out that I'm a 4 something.

So, based on that I'd say you look 4a in the front/top, and 3c in the back. You have thick hair and it looks good whatever the type. Good luck in your transition.

You cant type slicked back transitioning hair. The weight of the relaxed ends will extend the curl and possibly make it appear looser than what it will be when you get rid of the ends. Its best to type hair after you have fully transitioned and with little product and manipulation.

You cant type slicked back transitioning hair. The weight of the relaxed ends will extend the curl and possibly make it appear looser than what it will be when you get rid of the ends. Its best to type hair after you have fully transitioned and with little product and manipulation.

Exactly the case for my hair. While my hair wasn't that much tighter, it was definitely (noticeably) tighter coils than before I got the relaxed ends off.

I think you should wait until you grow out more. It's hard to tell with only a few months of growth and relaxed ends.

I actually say 3b and 3c.. but I also dont know my own so my advice may not weigh much... but the middle may haveatouoch for 4a.. not much though..

I haven't read anybody's comments so I hope I'm not being redundant

You won't be able to tell the hair type until you cut the relaxed ends off. You can look at it and maybe guess, but honestly you'll never know until you cut it.

type 3c. your hair is pretty. i could never get my hair that flat and smooth when i was transitioning so i had to wear it out all the time. ♥

Back