can you mix prof. color & developer from different brands?

poookie

can you mix brands of color & developer, or do you always have to use the developer of the same brand? for instance, mixing ion color with a clairol developer. just talking about permanent color here, no demi or semi permanent.

more specifically, i bought some aveda full spectrum hair color from eBay. i didn't buy the aveda developer, but i have plenty of clairol professional developer. is it okay to mix the two, or should i bite the bullet & shell out the big bucks for the aveda developer?

Last edited:

gymfreak336

Developer is pretty much the same IMO. I like the ion developer because it doesn't irritate my scalp as much so I use that with all of the color I use.

ceebee3

Hey Pookie,

Do they sell this at the Aveda Salons?

can you mix brands of color & developer, or do you always have to use the developer of the same brand? for instance, mixing ion color with a clairol developer. just talking about permanent color here, no demi or semi permanent.

more specifically, i bought some aveda full spectrum hair color from eBay. i didn't buy the aveda developer, but i have plenty of clairol professional developer. is it okay to mix the two, or should i bite the bullet & shell out the big bucks for the aveda developer?

jaiku

I used to do it all the time back when I colored. I'd use clairol dye with loreal developer. I think its only important to get the right strength.

poookie

Hey Pookie,

Do they sell this at the Aveda Salons?

i'm not sure, i believe you need a cosmetology license to buy it from aveda salons, plus you'd have to pay full retail. i bought my colors (blue/violet & blue/green) from eBay for only 4.99 apiece :yep: