Jet Black and Blue Black Lovers Rejoice!!!!!

gymfreak336

I got two things to tell you :grin:

For the jet black lovers....I dyed my sisters hair last night Jet Black using the Ion color at sallys. I used the liquid and 2 oz of Ion developer. First let me say that this color is very easy to use, it mixes easily, doesn't run and drip and unlike alot of jet black colors, doesn't have any weird green undertones. When I was rinsing the color out of her hair, if felt like conditioner. Her hair was very soft to be coming out of a chemical process. I peeled back the label of the developer to see the ingredients and I know why.....it has a good amount of castor oil in it. I haven't seen any other developer with as much conditioning agents in it. It says it is for sensitive skin so I guess that is the reason why.

Here is the link to the color. http://www.ioncolorbrilliance.com/home.asp

You can get it from sallys. The bottle of developer was 2.99 and the color was a little under 4 bucks. The bottle of developer though lasts 4 color applications and they frequently have this color on sale. I am going to stock up for her next time they run a promotion.

For the Blue Black Lovers.......

Loreal Preference Professional has a new collection called Mega Cools which has 3 blue black colors in varying blue intensity. These are some of the most true blue black colors I have ever seen :love: They all also have this Neutral-X (I believe that is what they called it) which is designed to cancel out all red and orange tones. The one I think most ladies here would like is called Gunmetal Gloss. The bluest one is called Oynx Sheen I believe. Your sallys should have the swatches on a ring with the other color swatch books.

They are liquid colors so you could mix them with 20 vol developer for a permanent result. I am not sure how vibrant they would be with 10 vol developer but either way, if you love blue black hair, you might want to check it out.

Okay, that was long winded but I wanted to share.

gymfreak336

Man, now you've got me ready to go blue black again. :wallbash: My hair was da bomb when it was blue black :lachen:

Wait until you see the colors. They are true BLUE BLACKS!!! :lol: They were just beautiful. I have way too much red in my skin to do it but if I could I would have been typing this with color processing on my head.

song_of_serenity

Oooh. I love those hair colors, but they looks too harsh on my skin (tried a jet black wig on for size) Oh, but I love it!!
~*Janelle~*

Mizani_Mrs

DANG IT! Why u tempting me??? I think i'mma have to do it cause there's too many ladies running around with gold/bronze/blonde highlights. so i think i'mma try to be different and get blue black.

leona2025

Gym girl I have achieved a red a that I can be satisfied with, now my eye is wondering to other colors, lol:lachen:. I wonder how it would look on me. I have never had black hair.

gymfreak336

Gym girl I have achieved a red a that I can be satisfied with, now my eye is wondering to other colors, lol:lachen:. I wonder how it would look on me. I have never had black hair.

I have been rinsing lately to keep my reddish brown look going. When I was getting my hair cut, I was talking colors with the girl doing my hair. I want something different so I am looking, trying to come up with some different options. The only black I can go is a natural black, otherwise, it it just too much coolness. I have to warm colors but I can't go golden either because it looks cheap and makes me look washed out.

leona2025

I have been rinsing lately to keep my reddish brown look going. When I was getting my hair cut, I was talking colors with the girl doing my hair. I want something different so I am looking, trying to come up with some different options. The only black I can go is a natural black, otherwise, it it just too much coolness. I have to warm colors but I can't go golden either because it looks cheap and makes me look washed out.

See this is why you are the expert. I see color and say ohhh that's pretty ima try it. I don't know about being warm or cool. Tell my expert do I need warm colors or cool colors?

Sounique

I'm glad I saw this thread. I want to dye my hair black so bad. Black hair looks so silky. My Mom and DH thinks that I am "too light" for black hair. Do you all think you can be too "light" for black hair? That doesn't make sense to me. Anyway....what is the difference between jet black and blue black?

Kay.Dee

Thanks gym
I really want jet black/ blue black hair. I'll have to decide between this and indigo/henna. The loreal colors sound even better

gymfreak336

See this is why you are the expert. I see color and say ohhh that's pretty ima try it. I don't know about being warm or cool. Tell my expert do I need warm colors or cool colors?

From looking at your fotki photos, you would look good in golden brown colors. I wouldn't go jet black if I were you but a natural black or a brown black would look good too.

hopeful

That's great information!! I think I would age myself 15 years if I went blue black :shocked:

Yep, me too.

I couldn't do it either. I can't carry it. I would look half past dead :lol:

:yep:.

I'm glad I saw this thread. I want to dye my hair black so bad. Black hair looks so silky. My Mom and DH thinks that I am "too light" for black hair. Do you all think you can be too "light" for black hair? That doesn't make sense to me. Anyway....what is the difference between jet black and blue black?

I always thought that was my problem but I think it's more about the tones in your skin. I've had friends who were very close to my color but could carry that black hair beautifully. Gymfreak, what complexions/skintones do you think worst best with blue/black hair?

gymfreak336

I always thought that was my problem but I think it's more about the tones in your skin. I've had friends who were very close to my color but could carry that black hair beautifully. Gymfreak, what complexions/skintones do you think worst best with blue/black hair?

Olive girls can pull it off. As can really olive-yellow chicks for the most part. Look at the Indian women and the Asian women. Those undertones can handle the coolness. If you have lots of red in your skin or are more of a golden yellow, the jet and blue black colors are too much. It will wash you out. If you have a rich cocoa complexion with a cool undertone, you can do it. My sister is like a NC55 and these colors look great on her. I am NW45 and they are too strong for me. I however can pull off just about any shade of red which she can't do.

MonPetite

Gymfreak...how could you do this to me?

THREE blue black shades to choose from!?

THREE?!

Beige here I come. Yes...the blue-black on golden-tan skin can be harsh...but I still end up the color of toast AFTER the wash out...so I just keep right on going. :look::lachen:

Most folks can't tell my washed out toast/beige from my "warm" beige-tan-gold.

How can you tell if colors REALLY make you look washed out? My "washed out" is "very tan" to some of my friends of other races.

I've D.A.R.K eyes also...perhaps this helps?

hopeful

Olive girls can pull it off. As can really olive-yellow chicks for the most part. Look at the Indian women and the Asian women. Those undertones can handle the coolness. If you have lots of red in your skin or are more of a golden yellow, the jet and blue black colors are too much. It will wash you out. If you have a rich cocoa complexion with a cool undertone, you can do it. My sister is like a NC55 and these colors look great on her. I am NW45 and they are too strong for me. I however can pull off just about any shade of red which she can't do.

Thanks. I have more yellow/orangey undertones, no olive, perhaps that is why I can't carry it.

ETA: Anyone can answer. What is NW45 and NC55? Is there a website that shows you how to figure out what you are?

Last edited:
I LOVE LOVE LOVE black hair. The blacker the better. Yea, I look better with deep honey blonde hair, it really brings out the gold in my skin--but I just can't get over my love for dark hair. Washed out? Too bad!

I'm going to check out that blue-black. I have been wanting to experiment with a blue-black for a while. Thanks!

Sistaslick

My mom is also one who cannot go too dark-- she takes on a Goth like appearance. :nono: :lol: But me? Shooooo.... man I love how dark hair gains like this instant look of health and vitality. It really makes the hair look rich to me.

truequeen06

YES!

I've been wanting to dye my hair blue black. I've always had jetblack hair, but I wan't it to have a blue tinge in the sun and Onyx Sheen looks perfect.

Wait, can I dye my hair black if I've henna'd?

truthbetold

Thanks. I have more yellow/orangey undertones, no olive, perhaps that is why I can't carry it.

ETA: Anyone can answer. What is NW45 and NC55? Is there a website that shows you how to figure out what you are?

I think gym is referring to M.A.C foundation colors. I believe NC is for people with yellow (beige or olive) undertones and NC is for people with more red in their skin. Not sure if M.A.C. 's website explain each color but you can always stop at a counter when you are in the mall.

Denise11

I think gym is referring to M.A.C foundation colors. I believe NC is for people with yellow (beige or olive) undertones and NC is for people with more red in their skin. Not sure if M.A.C. 's website explain each color but you can always stop at a counter when you are in the mall.

You said NC twice. Which one is NW?

ryanshope

I am so glad to see this !! My complexion is great with blue/black..jet black is too harsh; my hair is naturally a dusty brown :-(

I am definitely going to Sally's tomorrow.

PaperClip

I just did a Loreal Color Gems Blue Black last week. It looks very black with little blue. I've been in blue/black rinsing for most of my life. I've been told that jet black/blue black hair can age a person's look so I'd appreciate some guidance as well. A couple of folks want to put me in blond or orange (highlights) but I don't want to look like everyone else or there has to be a unique way to put the color in creatively....