Can you "train" your hair?

nodisrespect

My oldest sister has full SL hair (considered long in our family :rolleyes:) and she goes to the salon on a regular basis. Her hair is relaxed. If she chooses to wash and flat iron her hair herself, it falls into the exact same feathered pattern and looks the same as it would as if she had gone to the salon. My other sister takes great joy in saying that her hair is so "trained".

I haven't had my hair straightened at a salon since, like, fall 06. If I wash my hair and try to flat iron it, it won't even get straight, let alone resemble a professional style.

Is this a sign of overprocessed hair? Too much heat? If you rollerset on a regular basis, will your hair be "trained" and easier to style? My hair is half natural, half relaxed, whole mess because I co wash and go like everyday and never try to style it otherwise. I don't know whether or not the heat and styling has been detrimental to my sister's hair because I don't live at home and she recently got a short bob cut.

It depends on how good you are at styling. When my bff flat irons or rollersets her hair it's obvious that she did it. When I do it, her hair looks like she's been to the salon. Everybody thinks that I go to the salon every week but I havent been in over a year! Products and technique make a difference IMO. People tell me that my hair is "trained" to fall that way too. :look:

Do you use heat when you style your hair?

ETA: Like, is it because of the products you use, that you style on a weekly basis, or a combination of both?

Last edited:
Do you use heat when you style your hair?

I use direct heat in the form of a flat iron every 2 weeks. I use indirect heat (sit under the dryer) 3-5 times a week.

ETA: I cowash every other day. Most of the time my hair is rollerset though. I don't use a lot of product b/c my hair doesn't need it. But what I use depends on the style that I'm going for.

My oldest sister has full SL hair (considered long in our family :rolleyes:) and she goes to the salon on a regular basis. Her hair is relaxed. If she chooses to wash and flat iron her hair herself, it falls into the exact same feathered pattern and looks the same as it would as if she had gone to the salon. My other sister takes great joy in saying that her hair is so "trained".

I haven't had my hair straightened at a salon since, like, fall 06. If I wash my hair and try to flat iron it, it won't even get straight, let alone resemble a professional style.

Is this a sign of overprocessed hair? Too much heat? If you rollerset on a regular basis, will your hair be "trained" and easier to style? My hair is half natural, half relaxed, whole mess because I co wash and go like everyday and never try to style it otherwise. I don't know whether or not the heat and styling has been detrimental to my sister's hair because I don't live at home and she recently got a short bob cut.

I believe your hair may be overprocessed or heat damaged from what you've described. When I relaxed, I overprocessed my hair a couple of times and no matter what I did to it it would not longer straigthen. I had to cut it short and start all over again. I didn't know about protein treatments such as aPhogee that can help with breakage. I don't know if your hair is past that point but you can try it.

I believe your hair may be overprocessed or heat damaged from what you've described. When I relaxed, I overprocessed my hair a couple of times and no matter what I did to it it would not longer straigthen. I had to cut it short and start all over again. I didn't know about protein treatments such as aPhogee that can help with breakage. I don't know if your hair is past that point but you can try it.
I'm sorry, I typed that up wrong :lachen:I meant is it a sign that my SISTER's hair is overprocessed or getting too much heat that it is trained to fall in an automatic style. I was being a little facetious when I said my hair won't get straight... my hair will lie flat just by tying it down with a scarf while it's wet.

But, I do think that the longer I go without straightening my hair, the harder it seems to be to straighten when I finally do attempt to use a flat iron. Does anyone else have this problem? If I tried to use a flat iron now, after not using heat for probably over a month, it would probably get big and bushy and dry and would not look anything near resembling a professional style. There would be no bounce, no lightness, none of that silky voluminous hairness :(. But I will admit that I need a new flat iron. And maybe there is a specific routine I should be doing before I try to use a flat iron (like, only use a flat iron after a shampoo and deep condition).

I think it is possible. I used to rollerset a lot, the results are quite great and would almost last the whole week,even when I was stretching (6 wks post). I stopped doing that during my pregnancy, and now it's quite a mess, and it would last a day or two at the most. I stopped because I am quite discouraged.

On the other hand, when I first joined the board, I thought it was quite a joke to being told that I'd be able to straighten my roots just by wearing a silk scarf. The first trial was:wallbash: , the roots were laughing at me :lachen: I was stretching so you know what I mean. Now after a couple of weeks, I am amazed by the results. My hair lay flat on my scalp and the roots are so straight and would stay like that even after washing my hair. I am in love with my new roots... they are well trained :grin:

I'm sorry, I typed that up wrong :lachen:I meant is it a sign that my SISTER's hair is overprocessed or getting too much heat that it is trained to fall in an automatic style. I was being a little facetious when I said my hair won't get straight... my hair will lie flat just by tying it down with a scarf while it's wet.

But, I do think that the longer I go without straightening my hair, the harder it seems to be to straighten when I finally do attempt to use a flat iron. Does anyone else have this problem? If I tried to use a flat iron now, after not using heat for probably over a month, it would probably get big and bushy and dry and would not look anything near resembling a professional style. There would be no bounce, no lightness, none of that silky voluminous hairness :(. But I will admit that I need a new flat iron. And maybe there is a specific routine I should be doing before I try to use a flat iron (like, only use a flat iron after a shampoo and deep condition).

She probably has a bangin ass cut. A good cut if done right, will always fall perfect, and looks even better when its growing out.

Also to answer your question, I personally beleive that heat can permanently change the texture of your hair. Hair can be stretched out and loose its elasticity and stay striaght.

Is her hair healthy?

As far as I know, her hair is healthy and the cut was because she "wanted a change." When I went home her hair never look damaged or chewed up or anything. It's been the same length since however long but she doesn't feel like it should grow to or past APL anyway, like, to her it's normal to have the same length for years. Since she goes to the salon frequently they probably just keep cutting it to stay the same.

I believe if a stylist cut your hair into a nice shape "V", "Blunt" or "Layer" cut your hair will fall in place whether it's done at the salon or home.

Also, techniques such as knowing how to do a smooth roller-set and using the right products to lay the cuticles flat can play a part as well.

I believe if a stylist cut your hair into a nice shape "V", "Blunt" or "Layer" cut your hair will fall in place whether it's done at the salon or home.

Also, techniques such as knowing how to do a smooth roller-set and using the right products to lay the cuticles flat can play a part as well.

Ok, I'm interested in "training" my hair. Can this be done without cutting and using heat? Anyone who knows how this is done please help :yawn:

Is your hair curly? I use a maxiglide flatiron and have no problems getting it straight and I rarely flatiron. It works better on my curly hair because of the little prongs, the CHI wasn't cutting it for me.

Ok, I'm interested in "training" my hair. Can this be done without cutting and using heat? Anyone who knows how this is done please help :yawn:

You can give your hair a shape with a trim. Or if you don't want to cut or trim may be if you wrap (traditional or cross wrap) every night that may train it....

I'm quite sure others will chime in to help you out!

She probably has a bangin ass cut. A good cut if done right, will always fall perfect, and looks even better when its growing out.

Also to answer your question, I personally beleive that heat can permanently change the texture of your hair. Hair can be stretched out and loose its elasticity and stay striaght.

Is her hair healthy?

That was going to be my .02 worth, a good haircut.
I do think hair can be trained, too. If you wear the same hairdo, with the part in the same place year after year, the hair will fall to that shape automatically.

Back