Can You Really "Train" Hair?

anon123

Based on personal experience I believe you can "train hair" to press as straight as perm when your natural. I wear my hair pressed straight on with a hot comb or flat iron(unless you come to my room when I'm washing my hair or see my ends wet in a puff you would swear I had a perm). Still, the second water touches my strands the tips look just like the roots, and I been playing with fire since high school. It can be done. I don't have a straight wet strand anywhere.

But it isn't just your original texture vs. completely straight, not an off/on switch. My hair was "trained", too. It still had kink. It still looked uniformly kinky because I pressed it all, root to tip, for a long time (I only had a perm for about 4 years, even off and on during that time, but wore straight hair until I was almost 18). But it was not as kinky as it is now. I remember telling me mother after I stopped pressing my hair that my hair "was becoming nappier." I said it all incredulously because I couldn't believe that my already obviously nappy hair could get any nappier (sorry if I hurt someone's feelings out there with that word). But it did and that "nappier" texture was my real texture. Not saying that I know your hair is heat damaged, but just saying it is possible to have uniform texture hair that will kink up when wet and still be trained/damaged. Which word you call it depends on your viewpoint.

metro_qt

But it isn't just your original texture vs. completely straight, not an off/on switch. My hair was "trained", too. It still had kink. It still looked uniformly kinky because I pressed it all, root to tip, for a long time (I only had a perm for about 4 years, even off and on during that time, but wore straight hair until I was almost 18). But it was not as kinky as it is now. I remember telling me mother after I stopped pressing my hair that my hair "was becoming nappier." I said it all incredulously because I couldn't believe that my already obviously nappy hair could get any nappier (sorry if I hurt someone's feelings out there with that word). But it did and that "nappier" texture was my real texture. Not saying that I know your hair is heat damaged, but just saying it is possible to have uniform texture hair that will kink up when wet and still be trained/damaged. Which word you call it depends on your viewpoint.

I fully Agree. This is what happened to my hair. It was still kinky, but much looser than my natural texture. Joke is, I only got it flat ironed or hard pressed once every 6 months or so....

Even that was enough to jack up the texture of my hair... which you would not notice at all when I had my kinky/curly fro. (this was after 4 years of being natural)

When I went to a trichotomist, she examined my hair under a microscope, and could pinpoint the exact years I had braids in my hair and exactly where my hair was heat damaged....

Stiletto_Diva

Thanks ladies!! so basically, it all depends on what your hair can handle. I can't wait to be 100% so I can figure out how my hair truly acts. now that i've read this thread i'm kind of scared to straighten my natural hair because it can get damaged with just one straightening.

Is there anyway to know how your hair will react to heat without damaging it on the first try?

(sorry about all the question, but i'm a newbie:grin:)

blasiancurlie

i'm wondering the same thing. i have FHI flat iron and i can't change the temperature on it (it's 1 temp), so i'm not sure if the temp is too damaging for my new growth. i rollerset then flat iron about twice a month. my new growth seems like it reverts everytime it gets wet, so i'm guessing that means that i'm doing okay????

Thanks ladies!! so basically, it all depends on what your hair can handle. I can't wait to be 100% so I can figure out how my hair truly acts. now that i've read this thread i'm kind of scared to straighten my natural hair because it can get damaged with just one straightening.

Is there anyway to know how your hair will react to heat without damaging it on the first try?

(sorry about all the question, but i'm a newbie:grin:)