Can your hair be porous in the natural state and NOT be porous when straightened?

Harina

My hair is really dry, embarrassingly dry. I'm 4a/4b natural. I've always had dry hair but now it's crispity dry. I had my hair blown dry and flat ironed two weeks ago and it was the softest it had ever been. I thought that porosity might have been the issue but because it was the softest ever when it was straightened I'm thinking that might not be the cause. The whole reason the hair would be porous is because the cuticles are open and not lying flat so maybe straightened hair would accommodate better settings for hair that was originally porous?

jamaraa

Yes, this is could be true for some. I think this is what they mean by "manageablity"...their hair is more supple when it's straight. You may be on to something about the porosity issue. This is new to me and I need to know more. Many naturals seem to like Roux.

How are leave in moisturizers on your hair curly vs straight?

Harina

Yes, this is could be true for some. I think this is what they mean by "manageablity"...their hair is more supple when it's straight. You may be on to something about the porosity issue. This is new to me and I need to know more. Many naturals seem to like Roux.

How are leave in moisturizers on your hair curly vs straight?

Yeah I just ordered some Roux and I'm very excited. I've been using some of that ACV rinse in the mean time, and haven't that much of difference in terms of dryness, a little bit but not any thing signifigcant

Leaveins/moisturizers- I've been on a bit of shopping trip lately to tackle the dryness. Soooo...

I noticed that Shea butter only worked half of the time on my natural hair while it worked wonders on the straight hair (and on my skin). It's the only product I've used on straight hair.

Other Products that I've tried in the non-straightened state are nature's gate Awapuhi volumizing conditioner, qhemet's biologic burdock butter, the jane carter nourishing spray, and castor oil. I only bought the awapuhi conditioner and jane carter a few days ago, so the verdict's really still out on this. But I've really been liking the awapuhi as a leave in. It has a really nice consistency. But the butter, is a bit disappointing, I think it might be more of a sealant for me, because solely as a moisturizer it really hasn't done squat. Castor oil is great on my edges, nape, and as a scalp oil.

But this might all be because my hair is porous in the natural state. Because when I've finisihing washing/deep conditioning the hair, it is so soft. I can really feel the moisture. By next morning, crunchy and hard. Something's off.

jamaraa

The ACV might be too acidic for your hair. Acid itself can cause dryness. I'm amazed that your straight hair loves shea butter, but not your curly hair. I would think it would be the reverse. Your hair does seem to love heavier oils if you like castor too.

Ya know, what you're saying is very eye opening. I've never thought of porosity for natural hair in it's curly vs straight state. This info could be a real help for women w/ styling issues.

You def have to let us know how the Roux works on your curly hair. This could def be a cuticle issue. It's quite logical given what's saif about 4types of strands. The hair wraps around itself and the cuticle could be an issue. I'm thinking this is why so many Blacks loc so easily and w/ little outside effort.

LOL...I must thank you for asking a really thoughtful question.

locabouthair

Hmm, maybe your hair feels smoother when it's straighten and "rougher" when its curly. Thats how it is with my new growth and relaxed ends.

Just a guess.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Porosity issues also have alot to do with your hair's inability to absorb, attract and hold onto "moisture" as well as your cuticle being lifted/raised etc...producing extremely dry hair, brittle, porous hair.:look:

So Make sure you are working to find a good balance of both: Protein followed by Moisture.:grin:

I am relaxed, but I know my "Balance" of Protein/Moisture was waaay off. I had been told by just looking at my hair that it was overly porous from mis-use of Chemicals.:ohwell:

So, I knew what I was dealing with and took appropriate steps to correct it. And one of those steps was to find a Perfect Balance, for My Hair, of Protein & Moisture. And Followed up with Porosity Control to lock in everything that I had just put into my hair.

OP: Please make sure you use it as it's intended. i.e. Follow the Directions.:yep:

Harina

Hmm, maybe your hair feels smoother when it's straighten and "rougher" when its curly. Thats how it is with my new growth and relaxed ends.

Just a guess.

It's not just rough. I mean it's brittle. I don't like to manipulate it because it's that week.

Harina

The ACV might be too acidic for your hair. Acid itself can cause dryness. I'm amazed that your straight hair loves shea butter, but not your curly hair. I would think it would be the reverse. Your hair does seem to love heavier oils if you like castor too.

Ya know, what you're saying is very eye opening. I've never thought of porosity for natural hair in it's curly vs straight state. This info could be a real help for women w/ styling issues.

You def have to let us know how the Roux works on your curly hair. This could def be a cuticle issue. It's quite logical given what's saif about 4types of strands. The hair wraps around itself and the cuticle could be an issue. I'm thinking this is why so many Blacks loc so easily and w/ little outside effort.

LOL...I must thank you for asking a really thoughtful question.

Is this roux stuff acidic? I thought that ACV was used for the same purpose.

Porosity issues also have alot to do with your hair's inability to absorb, attract and hold onto "moisture" as well as your cuticle being lifted/raised etc...producing extremely dry hair, brittle, porous hair.:look:

So Make sure you are working to find a good balance of both: Protein followed by Moisture.:grin:

I am relaxed, but I know my "Balance" of Protein/Moisture was waaay off. I had been told by just looking at my hair that it was overly porous from mis-use of Chemicals.:ohwell:

So, I knew what I was dealing with and took appropriate steps to correct it. And one of those steps was to find a Perfect Balance, for My Hair, of Protein & Moisture. And Followed up with Porosity Control to lock in everything that I had just put into my hair.

OP: Please make sure you use it as it's intended. i.e. Follow the Directions.:yep:

I haven't done a protein treament in ages. I think henna about 5 months ago. Time for another one I guess.

gymfreak336

If your hair felt better once heat styled, you could have a porosity issue but not low porosity, high porosity. When the hair cuticle is very tightly compacted, it can make moisture extremely hard to enter the hair strand resulting in hard to manage dry hair. Heat can soften the cuticle which could be the reason your hair felt better. A lot of naturals have low porosity.

jamaraa

Is this roux stuff acidic? I thought that ACV was used for the same purpose.
I haven't done a protein treament in ages. I think henna about 5 months ago. Time for another one I guess.

I don't use this product...only Aphogee Two Step (rarely) and henna (1x per month or as needed), so I'm not sure of its acid levels. I tend to avoid acids like lemon juice in my henna or AVC rinses. I just use cold water and sometimes a bit of nettle as a rinse.

Harina

If your hair felt better once heat styled, you could have a porosity issue but not low porosity, high porosity. When the hair cuticle is very tightly compacted, it can make moisture extremely hard to enter the hair strand resulting in hard to manage dry hair. Heat can soften the cuticle which could be the reason your hair felt better. A lot of naturals have low porosity.

I'm a bit confused by the wording of your post. Are you saying I might have a porosity issue but it isn't low poros. It is high porosity? Other than the roux and similar products, is there anything else that would help this.

Wouldn't low poros. mean that moisture couldn't get in. While high porsotiy means that the moisture won't stay in. I guess a happy medium is best.

Last edited:

jamaraa

She's saying your hair might shut out (ie less porous) the moisture when curly, but when straight it let's it in.

I think the opposite tho. That your hair is more porous curly and when you straighten it, it smooths the cuticle therefore holding in moisture. My thoery is based on the idea that something porous has a hard time "holding on to" moisture.

Harina

She's saying your hair might shut out (ie less porous) the moisture when curly, but when straight it let's it in.

I think the opposite tho. That your hair is more porous curly and when you straighten it, it smooths the cuticle therefore holding in moisture.

I think that's more it. My hair definitely will get moisturized but dries out almost immediately. It's very bizarre. This has to be it. I am patiently awaiting my roux. Thanks y'all for being so helpful.

jamaraa

The fact that it's soft at 1st and dries out quickly really makes me think that the moisture DID enter, but quickly "evaporated" when curly, but when you straighten it, you "seal" it in.

This is actually a technique for helping ends which are the most porous part of the hair. You put on your oils or whatever, wrap tin foil around it, and set your flat iron on the area for about 30 secs. The ends are quite smooth and soft after doing this. You're just doing it for your whole head! ;)

NP...your question was a VERY good one. LOL...that's rare around here :)

Last edited:

Harina

THis was definitely the problem. I've been slapping Roux on my hair everytime I wash or cowash. Sooooo much softer than before. THis is definitely keeper.