What do I do about porous hair?

Armyqt

Tippy, this is not a conditioner to be used all the time. It contains a lot of protein and can be drying. You can also mix it with other conditioners. I usually use this about 1 wk after relaxer mixed with Kenra MC to restore the hair's elasticity. Once a month should be OK. Glad everything went well /images/graemlins/up.gif

caress

Porosity Control pH 4.5 Corrector & Conditioner

Sally Item #: 700858

Moisturizes, detangles & lusterizes while helping to create more uniform color, perm, or relaxer results.

Size: 15.2 fl oz, 2 fl oz

Obtain even coloring results and maintain healthy hair with Revlon Porosity Control Shampoo and Porosity Corrector & Conditioner.

* Leaves hair natural looking, vibrant, manageable
* Equalizes hair porosity for uniform color, perm, or relaxing results

Usage Tips
Shampoo hair with Porosity Control Shampoo. Apply Conditioner. Leave in hair 30 seconds. Rinse.

Ingredients:
Aqua (Water), Propylene Glycol, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Oleyl Betaine, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Lecithin, Lactic Acid, Parfum (Fragrance), DMDM Hydantoin, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Mica, Titanium Dioxide, C.I. 61570 (D&C Green #5), C.I. 60730 (EXT. D&C Violet #2)

ms_kenesha

You might also want to try a Sebastien's Colourshine (cellophane) because it is supposed to close the hair's cuticle as well. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sengschick

The Bun Master
Wow, what an informative thread /images/graemlins/up.gif. Happy it helped you Tippy /images/graemlins/wink.gif. Your hair looks really healthy in person, so I can't imagine you have too much repairing to do.

Cleo

Ok, ladies quick question. If I use Emergencee once a month, than how often would I use Porosity Control (I've never used it before, but don't want to overdo the protein)? I also use a mild protein/reconstructor once a month as well (usually two weeks after Emergencee). I do think the Porosity Control would be good for me because my hair is porous. TIA. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cleo

[ QUOTE ]
caress said:
Porosity Control contains protein?

[/ QUOTE ]

Caress, I'm not certain. I was going by what Army stated. I've never used it before but would like to incorporate it in my regimen. How do you use it? Do you find it to be drying?

caress

Well I have used it alone and with other conditioners. I find that my hair feels smoother afterward. It also makes my hair easier to detangle. I wouldn't say it's moisturizing but it didn't dry my hair either.

SandySea

When I used it, I remember that it made my hair feel slippery. I would think that it should be used on an "as needed" basis.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
SandySea said:
I read that the conditioner Porosity Control (or something like that) will help to restore the hair's proper state. It's sold at Sally's in the deep conditioner section. My hair started feeling a bit porous after too many CW's. I think that a good deep conditioner aimed at restoring porosity will solve the problem for you.

Can conditioner-washes really cause porous hair??? How many is TOO many??? :confused:
I also think my hair is porous... I may grab me a sample of the Porosity Control shampoo and/or conditioner at Sally's. :scratchch

Last edited:

Jewell

Since porous descibes something with pores or holes, try some protein. Relaxers, texturizers and bleaching can all make hair very porous. Since hair is predominantly protein (keratin) why not "fill in" the hair shaft with a good protein reconstructor? I'm sold on Nexxus Keraphix. Africa's Best Hair Mayo with egg protein (cheaper form of ORS) is great too. I'll spend 3.99 @ K-mart before I spend 9.99 there for ORS. Both have the same exact ingredients. Be sure to follow up with a good moisturizing conditioner...not doing so or using too much protein will make the hair dry and brittle.

crazyabouthair

I've used porosity control in the past and got really good results the first time. The other times my hair didn't feel as good but maybe that's because the problem was solved. I'm thinking about getting it again to use a week before my relaxer to prepare my hair and then a week after to restore my hair. Can't you also just any use shampoos and conditioners with a ph between 4 and 5.5 since that's what closes the cuticles anyway?

AngelicRose07

back from years of hiatus
so this porosity control is a protein treatment? i use aphogee every 6 weeks and am wondering if the results would be the same

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
weaveitup said:
so this porosity control is a protein treatment? i use aphogee every 6 weeks and am wondering if the results would be the same

Actually it normalize the pH level in the hair down to the normal level. It's not a protein treatment. It just closes the cuticle on the hair shaft.

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
senimoni said:
If your PH is normal then it will do nothing....or will it make it too low?

The pH level for Porosity Control is 4.5, which is the normal level for hair. It can't make it any lower.

honeycomb719

Carlie said:
I was going to mention the same thing SandySea. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Is this the product you're referring to?

Porosity Control

You can also try using some Aubrey GPB.

This is what I use on my hair, and I love it. I use it just about every other month, and my hair is not as porous as it once was.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I used this right after my relaxer disaster and I liked the results. My hair was very shiny and smooth. I think I will do this now after evey touch up.

AngelicRose07

Champagne_Wishes said:
Actually it normalize the pH level in the hair down to the normal level. It's not a protein treatment. It just closes the cuticle on the hair shaft.

thanks for responding.
so basically it does the same thing as a neutralizing shampoo?

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
weaveitup said:
thanks for responding.
so basically it does the same thing as a neutralizing shampoo?

Yeah pretty much but I believe your typical neutralizing shampoo has a pH level of 2.5 - 3.5, but don't quote me on that.

AngelicRose07

cool. so i can spend $4 on neutralizing shampoo instead of $8 for porosity control and get the same result?

Belle Du Jour

Help me understand something: if your hair dries quickly, is it porous because it can't hold water? Or would it take longer to dry because it is porous and soaks up water?

My have dries very quickly, and I always thought that soemthing was wrong with that scenario. Maybe my hair is porous?

Poohbear

classimami713 said:
Help me understand something: if your hair dries quickly, is it porous because it can't hold water? Or would it take longer to dry because it is porous and soaks up water?

My have dries very quickly, and I always thought that soemthing was wrong with that scenario. Maybe my hair is porous?

I'm confused too. My new growth dries quicker than my relaxed hair and I read somewhere that says black hair is more porous than other races. So I'm thinking porous hair doesn't always mean bad... it's just more fragile. So does it really matter how long your hair takes to dry??? :confused:

crazyabouthair

Porous hair holds a lot of water and therefore takes longer to dry. It makes sense that your newgrowths would dry faster than your relaxed hair because the newgrowths has not yet been damaged by the chemical and therefore the cuticles on your newgrowths are intact. Once you relax, the cuticles will be lifted and if not properly sealed afterwards it too will become porous and take longer to dry.

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
weaveitup said:
cool. so i can spend $4 on neutralizing shampoo instead of $8 for porosity control and get the same result?

Shoot I don't have the bottle in front of me to confirm but on the bottle it said you can. You are better off calling the company to verify that. Or visit their website and ask them http://www.rouxblue.com/

Poohbear

crazyabouthair said:
Porous hair holds a lot of water and therefore takes longer to dry. It makes sense that your newgrowths would dry faster than your relaxed hair because the newgrowths has not yet been damaged by the chemical and therefore the cuticles on your newgrowths are intact. Once you relax, the cuticles will be lifted and if not properly sealed afterwards it too will become porous and take longer to dry.
thanks for your response. so my new growth really isn't porous? was that just a myth I read about natural hair being porous??? :confused: