Celebrity Stylist June Ambrose's Natural Hair

sikora

Sunshine_One

In the article she says she get's it done weekly (year round) and pin curls at night. That was my relaxed/textlaxed regime. From the pics it I think her stylist blows it out and then curls it. If I can find the name of her stylist I may go for a visit. Just to observe the technique. I love the BODY in her hair. As a natural I have a problem with stylists making my hair too straight. I have fine strands. I have to constantly remind them to leave a lil kink in there.

Anyone else have this issue when straightening their natural hair?

Kneechay

In the article she says she get's it done weekly (year round) and pin curls at night. That was my relaxed/textlaxed regime. From the pics it I think her stylist blows it out and then curls it. If I can find the name of her stylist I may go for a visit. Just to observe the technique. I love the BODY in her hair. As a natural I have a problem with stylists making my hair too straight. I have fine strands. I have to constantly remind them to leave a lil kink in there.

Yes! Me! I too have fine hair and that's why I dont go to stylists. I dont want the relaxed straight look. I want that thick, sort of kinky straight, it just looks so good to me. I am much more inclined towards texture than silkiness. I achieve this by blowdrying on cool air and ironing on lower heat.

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!

The salon info: Paul Labreque has three salon locations in New York City. Its East Side salon has been voted one of “New York’s Best” salon and day spas by New York Magazine, Details, InStyle, Allure, and Vogue.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

naturalgyrl5199

Yes! Me! I too have fine hair and that's why I dont go to stylists. I dont want the relaxed straight look. I want that thick, sort of kinky straight, it just looks so good to me. I am much more inclined towards texture than silkiness. I achieve this by blowdrying on cool air and ironing on lower heat.

My stylist does a GREAT job pressing my hair! :yep:I get that light, bouncy look when she does it. She DC's it, blows it out with her UBER-FANCY FHI blow dryer and does a Quick Pass (Only 1) with her uber fancy FHI flat-iron...I think its the Runway? (IDK?)...and then she bumps it with the Marcell Flat Iron.

She has great tools, but I think its all about technique. Since she gets it straight with the blow-out part, all she is doing is a quick pass and a fluff.
I am there 90 minutes top from walk in to walk out. She is fast, efficient, and I have full reversion when I wash it out....all for $55.00...She only uses a little oil (maybe a dime size, and none of that CHI-heat protectant stuff that weighs my hair down..ick):nono:

Also some people on the site were whining about shine while her hair is pressed. A GOOD DC will give you the shine you need without having to put ANYTHING on the hair while its straight. I NEVER put anything on my hair for the 1-2 weeks I wear it straight...EVER:nono:. It just weighs it down.

Lucky's Mom

I totally thinks this works for most folks. Her hair is Trained ( meaning - her hair remembers that style well.... So she probably has few reversion issues.

I have fine hair - so this style option would probably not work for me... But - She looks great!!!

Sunshine_One

Kneechay

Yes you nailed it! I want that straight thick look and unfortunately most stylist don't get that. I find this especially true with any type of natural hair. They just go for STRAIGHT at any cost!:lol: I'm like NOOOO um what temp is that iron on etc. :look:

I'm currently working on my cosmetology license in the evenings. I'm going to discuss this with my instructor. I want to perfect this technique. I usually roller set my hair and flat iron the roots to maybe half the length....but I still end up with hair that is flatter than I like.

I might try your suggestions blow dry on cool and flat iron on a lower temp. I will still need to curl it or roll it up for the curls....natural is WORK!:spinning: I love it but it's WORK!

Sunshine_One

My stylist does a GREAT job pressing my hair! :yep:I get that light, bouncy look when she does it. She DC's it, blows it out with her UBER-FANCY FHI blow dryer and does a Quick Pass (Only 1) with her uber fancy FHI flat-iron...I think its the Runway? (IDK?)...and then she bumps it with the Marcell Flat Iron.

She has great tools, but I think its all about technique. Since she gets it straight with the blow-out part, all she is doing is a quick pass and a fluff.
I am there 90 minutes top from walk in to walk out. She is fast, efficient, and I have full reversion when I wash it out....all for $55.00...She only uses a little oil (maybe a dime size, and none of that CHI-heat protectant stuff that weighs my hair down..ick):nono

Also some people on the site were whining about shine while her hair is pressed. A GOOD DC will give you the shine you need without having to put ANYTHING on the hair while its straight. I NEVER put anything on my hair for the 1-2 weeks I wear it straight...EVER:nono:. It just weighs it down.

Thanks for your input! ITA it's all about technique and also good tools. Is your stylist in the DC area?? :grin:

I have a T3 1 inch duality that I use at home. I set it between 370-380. It only goes up to 410. I plan to invest in a FHI next year. I'm going to get it at one of the big hair expos...so I can save some cash. As for Marcels, I am scared of them. :lol: Well well my mom used them during my childhood/teen years but she used them on low temps and I never had any damage. So far I haven't allowed any stylist to use those on my hair.

However, I will have to master their use to pass the state board exam. To my surprise the board exam requires the use of marcel irons for heat styling...not ceramic. I think that needs to be changed. But my instructor explained that Marcel irons are timeless and they will always be around.

Taking this class has really opened my eyes to cosmetology education. I think a whole paradigm shift needs to take place...from the curriculum to the state board exams. But that's an entirely different thread for another day. :yep:

Last edited:

CrissieD

I love her hair. I hate this Florida humidity. I would have a fro before I even made it to the car.

naturalgyrl5199

Thanks for your input! ITA it's all about technique and also good tools. Is your stylist in the DC area?? :grin:

I have a T3 1 inch duality that I use at home. I set it between 370-380. It only goes up to 410. I plan to invest in a FHI next year. I'm going to get it at one of the big hair expos...so I can save some cash. As for Marcels, I am scared of them. :lol: Well well my mom used them during my childhood/teen years but she used them on low temps and I never had any damage. So far I haven't allowed any stylist to use those on my hair.

However, I will have to master their use to pass the state board exam. To my surprise the board exam requires the use of marcel irons for heat styling...not ceramic. I think that needs to be changed. But my instructor explained that Marcel irons are timeless and they will always be around.

Taking this class has really opened my eyes to cosmetology education. I think a whole paradigm shift needs to take place...from the curriculum to the state board exams. But that's an entirely different thread for another day. :yep:

LOL! We live in Tallahassee, Fl. So with the humidity she only sees me when its cold....The salon has other chains in Atlanta and Chicago. Check Kiersten & Company online. Kiersten is in Atlanta I think. I see Candy here in Tally.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

MRJ1972

LOL! We live in Tallahassee, Fl. So with the humidity she only sees me when its cold....The salon has other chains in Atlanta and Chicago. Check Kiersten & Company online. Kiersten is in Atlanta I think. I see Candy here in Tally.

OT

naturalgyrl5199

Thanks for this info. I will need a reputable salon for my daughter's presses if she goes to Tally for college!

theNaturalWonders

i used to visit that place to get my eyebrows done. they have a whole bunch of salons and spas in this one building. i wonder if the stylist there would do as a good of a job like the one you see @naturalgyrl5199

theNaturalWonders

Candy said Kiersten does a great job too. I'm taking Candy's word for it because she does such a great job on my hair.

hmmm...i will call to make a consult with kiersten. i am petrified of heat because of extensive heat damage i experienced 3 years ago which caused me to start all over again (TWA). however i would love to have straight tresses from time to time.

thanks for checking naturalgyrl5199