Better retention as a natural or relaxed head?

SummerSolstice

it really depends on the person. DIY works great for some people, while others need to limit chemical processes such as relaxers, BKT, pressing, and color to their stylist, and then DIY for inbetween things like DC, rollersets, maintaining a style, etc.

I try to limit my DIY to my natural styles such as twisting and braid outs. I even press my own hair but I've been doing that for about 10 years. When I bkt I will be getting a classmate to do it with my teacher's supervision. My teacher did my highlights.

I have always been natural but I have always had SSK problems. I am trying to see if I retain more length with the BKT

Neek-a-Nator

I definitely get better retention as a natural, I'm just one of those people that relaxers don't agree with MY hair. It's not as thick and it's more prone to breakage. Having said that my relaxed hair does get below APL but not the way I like my natural hair. And trust me I did this 3 times with the last and final time going natural this past April.

rissa146

My hair was so brittle when it was relaxed. I've learned that when your hair is chemically treated it breaks down the bonds in the hair that gave it strength so you can achieve a straighter look, but in the end it weakens the hair terrible. Some can handle it, mine couldn't

lana

I was on LHCF for most of my adult hair journey. I came to the board with natural roots and relaxed ends and I was trying to press it straight cause that's how I like to wear it. My hair grew, but I didn't retain enough length to please me. :)

So I found texlaxing...the best of both worlds. I stretch for 3-4 months, texlax with Mizani Lye relaxer for fine or color treated hair. Leave it on for five minutes, minimal smoothing, deep condition a LOT and whalla! Wonderful, thick, healthy LONG hair. I finally have the hair of my dreams and for me that was THICK APL hair. I'm there! Yes, I have my ups and downs being a Do-It-Yourselfer...but I'm there! :drunk:

So for me it was about finding what worked for my hair. Yes, I could have gotten great length if I wore my hair natural and didn't try to alter the state (pressing, flat ironing, blow drying). But I wanted to wear straight hair, - I felt that straight hair looked the best for my face. But then you may not have my forehead. I love my forehead, but straight bangs help me feel cute!

In the end it was about doing what was best for my hair and my self esteem. Texlaxing is a keeper! If I had heard about BKT back when I was natural...I would have gone that route for sure! I love my hair now!

Thanks to LHCF...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Shananyganz

I didn't read through all the posts, but they tend to echo the same sentiment. I personally believe that with the knowledge I have gained, I would retain length as a relaxed OR natural head. I am soon approaching a year natural and the growth/length retention is astounding me right now. The growth/length retention that I am experiencing/noticing could be attributed to knowledge gained and that I for once paying attention to what I do and how I do it. I am a DIYer (except for weave installs…for now) and as BMP pointed out, no one will baby your hair like you.

I personally don’t think there is an definitive answer (per se) as some have been on both sides of the relaxed or natural game; but not on both sides as far as serious hair care relaxed or natural (**please note I said some). At the end of the day, it really is about your personal preference, overall health, why you went natural in the first place (sensitive scalp or just because), how you or who you choose to take care of your hair, knowledge gained or had, etc. Different things come into play.

Bottom line is that it is really about what you want and what works for your hair be it relaxed, texlaxed, natual, or otherwise. HHG

~S~

NIN4eva

I'm a 4a/b relaxed. But I was natural for a few years. In my experience, as long as I stay away from heat styling and pay attention to what my hair needs I'm fine either way.

LaFemmeNaturelle

I'm relaxed and this is the longest my hair has ever been BUT I wasn't really taking proper care of my natural hair. In highschool, all I wore was buns, but I HARDLY washed it and NEVER moisturized so I stayed at apl. I'm transitioning so i HOPE I will be able to retain as well natural as I have relaxed.

HeavenlySkies

Err I've experienced nothing but ssks since going natural therefore I can't retain because I have to cut them out. When the hair is straight I'm sure there's way less chance of running into these thus retaining more length.

Miss AJ

^^ ITA.

I am relaxed after being natural for about 9 years as an adult and this is the longest my hair as EVER been. This fantastic retention is due to taking better care of my hair, not necessarily being natural or relaxed. Many thanks to LHCF! :grin:

My sentiments exactly.

beautyaddict1913

I am definately retaining more hair as a natural (have about 1.5 in of texlaxed hair left). Relaxers always left my hair dry and my scalp irritated. My hair is so strong that I can almost floss with it. And the funny thing is I transitioned almost by accident...lol

I transitioned by accident too. I hated how my hair looked with my last perm so I started getting braids and full sew ins. Everytime I took my hair down from a sew in it would be longer and longer. So I said "Im never getting a perm again!" And thats how I became a long-term transitioner. I am retaining my length from being natural and that didnt happen when I was relaxing. I can weave any hairstyle I want into my hair. I can straighten my hair when I want to wear it straight and I can show off my thick lush texture whenever I want...so natural totally works for me!

charmtreese

-Match the rest of your hair to your new growth, rather than matching your new growth to the rest of your hair (So, do braid-outs, twist-outs, wash 'n gos, and buns, instead of flat ironing, constant roller setting, or blow drying). This is easier if you do not relax bone straight.

Great point!!!!

I recently went back to air drying, so far so good! I love my rollersets but I seem to keep more hair and thickness with airdrying!!!!

exoticmommie

ITA that since changing my hair habits, becoming a DIY, on top of stretching my perms and not getting it bone straight. Has helped me retain length. My hair is the longest it has ever been. I still can't believe how long it has gotten, even though I don't really consider it long per say.

UGQueen

i would say... transitioning??
hmm idk I'm currently transitioning and this is not the longest but its the HEALTHIEST my hair has ever been.
and i dont know if its due to the transition or because i have LHCF there every step of the way. :)
either way im still gunna continue my natural hair journey, and i doubt ill ever relax!`

lovinglength

You all have some really great points and tips. Seems like peoples preferences differ, most retaining more as a natural, some keep more length relaxed and then the happy medium group who texlax. I know for myself, my hair is thickest as a natural and I'm still growing to see how much length I can acheice as a natural. I want length! ...healthy hair first of course. Maybe I'll try a weave..never had one before. I notice some long haired naturals who weave it up retain a LOT of length.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I think I retain better relaxed because I manipulate it less. I prefer my hair straight, and with a relaxer my hair is straight with minimal effort and I can do it without without heat. Yes I have to DC more, but I love to DC and I gravitate towards protective styles anyway.

Austro-Afrikana

I am transitioning and have unfortunately found that when I was blowdrying or straightening my hair every week, yes my hair was drier but, I retained more length than now when I air dry. I have found that a lot of my relaxed ends have been breaking and I have gotten a few SSK's in the back. When I'm in braids I retain loads but when I am out of braids I am now thinking of keeping my hair straight as I feel I may retain more length that way :(

Beverly Ann Properties

I will be completly natural going on 2 years in 2 months. I must say that my hair is so much healthier, thicker and stronger than it has ever been compared to being relaxed for the majority of my life. This forum has taught me how to take care of my hair when I always thought that was my stylist's area of expertise. Now I am the expert when it comes to my hair. I have not been to a stylist since becoming natural. My main accomplishment is that I will be APL in December and I will have gained all my length back as a natural in 30 months!!! I would not have be able to do it without all you on this forum! Thank You~

curlyninjagirl

It's much easier for me to retain length as a natural (in large part due to the things I've learned on LHCF). My hair has never been this long. My relaxed hair was very fragile and always over processed. I had to endure long, grueling salon visits and I never saw any length (SNIP! SNIP!). Natural hair is something I can do myself and I'm the best stylist I've ever had!!! :grin:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I can't even say which is better. All I do know is that my hair fared better relaxed because I needed less heat to do what I want to it.:ohwell: I can't say which is better because I haven't been natural as long as I was relaxed. I am working on it, though. I believe my hair retains the same amount, relaxed or natural. The only thing is relaxed hair shows more length.

SmilingElephant

I grew my hair to my waist while relaxed. But it was sooo thin and gave the illusion of being thick. My dad even said one time that my hair looked thin.

I'm at 5 months natural and I can say my hair is thicker. And growing fast. Hope to reach BSL next year!