Better retention as a natural or relaxed head?

lovinglength

Hello ladies. I'm natural and have been fully natural since June or July of 98. I have had a few setbacks, but currently have been doing well with growth and retention. (I'm pregnant with my third child and always wear a half wig) After allllll this time, I'm only just apl due to over trimming for many years, and a stylist who thinned and burned off my hair with a press-had to start all over. Recently, I've been thinking about relaxing and am looking for some feedback from you long haired relaxed and natural ladies.

For those of you with long hair (relaxed, texlaxed or natural) do you find it easier to retain your length as a (relaxed, texlaxed or natural) and why do you say so.

Thanks for any feedback :yep:

Ms Lala

I'm natural and my hair is the longest it has ever been. Relaxing didn't work well w/my skin, scalp , or hair.

UrbainChic

I have had long hair both ways in the past and I found that the things I did as a relaxed head are pretty similar to the things I do now as far as retention goes.

low manipulation,
moisturizing
avoid heat
etc.

One of the things i would reccomend is stretching between relaxers, which i did when relaxed because thats what my mom told me to do but never realized that was part of what helped me retain so much length all the time.

You could definitely retain length both ways, as long as you treat your hair with some TLC. Also you can probably better avoid SSK's with relaxed hair, and I know a lot of women have difficulties with them.

How long is your hair now? Are you ready to go back?

PS I am sorry to hear about your press disaster! * big hug*

lovegymnasts

Absolutely as a natural
With everything I have learned, I think I could retain just as well with relaxed hair...I just don't want to and I had horrendous dandruff when I was relaxed.

Thiends

Much easier to retain while relaxed. No more single strand knots and traumatic comb-outs. Even with the best techniques in the world, the kinks and bends in nappy hair make it tangle and break much more easily. I use the same regimen I did when I was natural, but now I retain pretty much every single inch, while as a natural, I retained maybe 4" a year. I NEVER relax bone straight (that is a bad idea in most cases), but the stretching effect of the mild relaxer has helped a lot.

growth2come

I have been natural since 05 and this is the longest my hair has ever been. Then again its got nothing to do with wether I am natural or relaxed and more to do with me learning to take care of my hair.

taz007

^^ ITA.

I am relaxed after being natural for about 9 years as an adult and this is the longest my hair as EVER been. This fantastic retention is due to taking better care of my hair, not necessarily being natural or relaxed. Many thanks to LHCF! :grin:

Last edited:

Egyptjones

I am definately retaining more hair as a natural (have about 1.5 in of texlaxed hair left). Relaxers always left my hair dry and my scalp irritated. My hair is so strong that I can almost floss with it. And the funny thing is I transitioned almost by accident...lol

BlackMasterPiece

It boils down to how dedicated you are to having your hair be in a particular state and understanding that if you are not getting your desired results (remaining at APL) then you need to change your methods.

If you want long natural hair then you absolutely can achieve that provided you are willing to learn what that will take with your particular hair type and implement it and the same goes for being relaxed.

You have to ask yourself: Do I want to be natural or relaxed? You have to also be sure that you're not making a decision out of frustration. Once you have that answer its all about finding healthy hair practices and building a regimen that will promote retention and fit with your sense of self and lifestyle.

That said, to answer the OP I'm natural and my hair is the longest its ever been:yep:

Last edited:

TwistNMx

I did not have any retention at all until 4-5 years after becoming natural because I had major damage from salons. Being natural and not trusting anyone else is the best thing for my hair. :yep: HTH

BlackMasterPiece

/\ YES! Such an important point....my hair took off like a rocket as soon as it was under my care exclusively. No one will baby your hair the way you will. DIY is the way to go:yep:

Mz.MoMo5235

i've always had what some consider to be "long" hair. however i have to say that my length when relaxed is nothing compared to the length i can achieve natural. so i have to say retaining natural is a breeze while retention relaxed was non-existent.

but to add to this comment. when i was relaxed, i knew nothing of healthy hair care practices... so it may have been a different story had i known then what i know know. though if i knew then what i know now i would have never relaxed... so uh, yeah, take my thoughts for what you need lol

Whimsy

I'm natural and retaining very well because I'm taking better care of my hair (namely ends) than I was before going natural. I think if I had been as diligent with my relaxed hair back in the day I would've retained just as well.

Black Hoya Chick

I didn't take proper care of my hair when i was relaxed. so as a natural, i have better retention because i am more hair-conscious. who knows what could happen with relaxed hair now. but alas, i am natural for LIFE!

lovinglength

/\ YES! Such an important point....my hair took off like a rocket as soon as it was under my care exclusively. No one will baby your hair the way you will. DIY is the way to go:yep:

I did my hair for over 8 years as a natural and it thrived beautifully. The only bad thing I was doing was cutting too much off during my trims. It wasn't til I got my hair done at a salon that my hair was damaged. I started doing it myself again and once again it grew beautifully. It's growing now, however, since having kids, I don't have the time nor energy to stand in front of the mirror like I used to, so I rock half wigs. I was just curious to some of your preferences and experiences in retaining length. Thanks ladies.

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!
So far natural. I just finished a 12 month transition and that allowed me to see how much growth I really get. I wasnt retaining a thing relaxed, but then again I had no idea what I was doing, lol.

kmn1980

Emoticons don't affect me
I'm natural and my hair is the longest it has ever been. Relaxing didn't work well w/my skin, scalp , or hair.

Relaxers never did anything positive for my hair either. My hair is in much better condition as a natural. Relaxing was also an issue for me because I'm a swimmer and although I would wash the chlorine out thoroughly, I would still have problems with breakage that I don't have as a natural who swims regularly.

Mad Scientist

Well, I think I've experienced better (or is it "more?") retention as a natural, but that could be because I'm actually learning to care for my hair. Almost as soon as I joined this forum, I BC'd. I'm sure if I had learned how to properly care for my relaxed hair, it would've done just as well.

Aireen

I have better retention now that I'm relaxed, I hardly ever get breakage. If I get breakage or single strand knots it's because I'm not doing the simple basics and playing the fool. Like if I sleep a few days without some type of scarf with my hair out looking like I got electrocuted after 2 days or so.

For me it's pretty easy to take care of my relaxed hair. So here are some universal tips that helped me, I say universal because some of this info is on the site and the more intricate details in my routine won't work for everyone. If you know these tips already you can stop reading. :grin:

- Stretch your relaxers as much as you can. (So don't relax every month because that is way too often, I stretch for AT LEAST 3 months. This reduces the chance of overlapping but if you stretch for too long you will get breakage so stretch as long as you can.)
- Get your hair dusted regularly. (Some trims are actually an inch or 2 so dusting is really good for retaining length. When you dust your hair, usually 1/4-1/8 of an inch comes off. If you want more off tell your stylist the specific amount.)
- Keep a moisture-protein balance! (Our hair is made up of protein and it gets broken down after relaxing so putting it back in is important. Too much protein can break the hair so balance the hair after a protein treatment with a moisturizing conditioner.)
- Use oil to tame the new growth after relaxing. (It makes it so much easier to comb through without having to break your hair.)
- DEEP CONDITION! (Whether it's with protein or moisture. Have it sit on your head with a plastic cap and/or heat.)
- Protect your hair with a satin or silk scarf or at least have a silk or satin pillow.

thehairmaverick

I had a great stylist when I was relaxed. She really took care of my hair and it grew...but with the relaxer I started losing my hair at the crown of my head. I'm sure you can grow your hair out either way, but I'm happily natural:infatuated:

tishsander

I just had my hair texlaxed a little over a month ago after having it in a weave for 2 years. My hair had fully grown out with no relaxed ends before doing this. I am 4a so my hair was basically "nappy" but in an "o" formation. The lady at the salon I went to put in a regular relaxer (I don't know which brand) and kept it on for 10 minutes (I timed it). I love my hair! What I really like is that the curl was loosened just a little. I can comb my hair without breaking the comb (or most of my hair for that matter)! A month isnt a long time but I can tell you this is the healthiest my hair has felt in a long time.

Thanks to LHCF, I was guided to the right products (I am currently using Kenra products). The other day, I was looking for split ends to cut off and I was surprised at how much searching I had to do. I found some but not as many as when I had the relaxer. When I had that relaxer, I would find the ends of my hair all over the place. That hasn't happended with the texlax. I also like feeling the weight of my hair. The relaxer just left it flat and dry.

I press and "Chi" flat iron my shoulder length hair.

BostonMaria

I BC'd in 2007 and my hair retained more length as a natural. I think that I could've retained with relaxed hair, but I went to the salon way too much and they overlapped the relaxers.

I believe that the reason why I've retained so much length is due to consistently DCing, low manipulation, using products that work for my hair, and rollersetting frequently.

LovelyNaps26

i had bsl relaxed hair and have just begun to successfully grow out my natural hair after being natural for 5 years. that said,i believe i will surpass bsl and could have surpassed bsl with a relaxer if i knew about stretching, deep conditioning, etc. HOWEVER, i am convinced that bsl relaxed hair could never look as thick as well cared for bsl natural hair pressed. length retention is my goal, but with a relaxer i always sought greater thickness. thickness, even in the worst days of my natural hair care has never been a problem. so, if you want long hair that is the THICKEST it can possibly be, then i'd recommend staying natural.

skegeesmb

Being natural. My hair is short now because I cut my relaxer off. My hair grew rather quickly when I was natural, but I also took care of my hair better.

jupitermoon

My retention has been much better as a natural. This is the longest my hair has ever been. I'm not one of those people that can grow very long hair while relaxed.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
My retention is better relaxed. As a natural, I'd get very close to apl and then catch a serious case of SSK's. I've been relaxed since 2008 and am nearly wsl. I realize now that had I not let myself be mentally punked into believing heat was evil, I could have probably retained length as a heat straightened natural. But you live and you learn.

If I jump ship back to natural land, the flat iron will jump with me.

Thiends

- Stretch your relaxers as much as you can
- Get your hair dusted regularly.
- Keep a moisture-protein balance!
- Use oil to tame the new growth after relaxing.
- DEEP CONDITION!
- Protect your hair with a satin or silk scarf or at least have a silk or satin pillow.
These techniques are exactly how I keep my hair healthy. :yep: I will add:

-Tex-lax, rather than relaxing bone straight.
-Use a leave-in conditioner every day.
-Do not comb your hair every day (works wonders for both relaxed and natural hair).
-Leave your new growth alone (trying to comb it to perfect smoothness will just cause breakage).
-Match the rest of your hair to your new growth, rather than matching your new growth to the rest of your hair (So, do braid-outs, twist-outs, wash 'n gos, and buns, instead of flat ironing, constant roller setting, or blow drying). This is easier if you do not relax bone straight.

so, if you want long hair that is the THICKEST it can possibly be, then i'd recommend staying natural.
Nah. I respect the natural journey, but if this is your goal, then tex-laxing is just as effective. My hair looks like pressed natural hair every day, except it does not revert. It is great. I go to Ouidad for the Softening treatment.

Last edited:

Aireen

-Match the rest of your hair to your new growth, rather than matching your new growth to the rest of your hair (So, do braid-outs, twist-outs, wash 'n gos, and buns, instead of flat ironing, constant roller setting, or blow drying). This is easier if you do not relax bone straight.

LOVED THIS LAST POINT! Seriously, it makes perfect sense. :) I never even stopped to consider that in detail.

I respect the natural journey, but if this is your goal, then tex-laxing is just as effective.

I agree, I respect the natural journey too but your hair can be long and thick if you're relaxed, texlaxed, or natural; just like it could be damaged. There's PLENTY of proof of healthy relaxed/texlaxed/natural ladies with MBL and beyond on LHCF. You just have to know how to properly take care of your hair for each state.

beans4reezy

I've been on a year long stretch and I find that I retain better as I get deeper into my stretch. Then again, to echo so many of the ladies sentiments...I think my retention has more to do with actually taking better care of my hair.