Ceramic Irons NOT for BLACK Hair

PrettyBrownEyes

So I went to the JC Penney Styling Salon today for a touch-up and trim. The stylists who I have gone to before and loves to give out unsolicited hair advice, says that Ceramic Flat Irons like CHI are not for Black Hair. She goes on to say that a number of women she knew lost their hair from using Ceramic flat irons :rolleyes:and that they went and sold them on Ebay.

I asked her were they using them on a daily basis? She says yes.:rolleyes: Anyway, she said that they are for white people because their hair is stronger and black hair needs the Teflon Irons that were invented by Madame C.J. Walker.

I just had to share this with the board, first I've ever heard and I had another black stylist flat iron my hair with a CHI at a different JCP salon. Interesting.

ivyQuietstorm

Isn't it true that anything in excess can be a bad thing :rolleyes:? I wish she would have been more specific and provided more evidence supporting that loose statement. :perplexed

Inches411

Just WOW... Ladies, this is why I will continue to do my own damn hair :nono:

Exactly .. sorry but shes not to bright because if she was she would realize that the reason their hair broke was because they used it everyday and not because it was a ceramic iron. Its like she just made that up off the top of her head without even thinking first. Im sorry after that comment i would not continue to go to her i would be scared for my hair.

Ganjababy

Funny, Madam CJ walker died in 1919 and Teflon was invented in 1938. So there were no teflon coated curling irons back in those days, just uncoated curling irons. We all know that with frequent overuse use all irons are bad for the hair wether they are ceramic or teflon coated. I have had damage from both.

Its funny, since joining LHCF I have realised that many (not all) hair stylists don't know much about black hair other than relaxing it and trimming it- especially here in London. I am finding recently that I know more about my hair compared to my stylist (my stylist actually pointed this out, and asked me for LHCF link. She said she was not taught a lot about black hair in beauty college even though it was a course for black haircare). The good thing about my stylist is that she is open to new ideas and increasing her knowledge base.

DivaD04

That's full of crock. When I went to beauty school, I was taught too much of anything is bad for any race's hair. White can fall out just as quick as black folks if not cared for properly.

Give that stylist Madame C.J. Walker's site...I mean she is going to give out info...atleast it can be the correct info, right!

From the Autobiography
During the 1890s, Sarah began to suffer from a scalp ailment that caused her to lose most of her hair. She experimented with many homemade remedies and store-bought products, including those made by Annie Malone, another black woman entrepreneur. In 1905 Sarah moved to Denver as a sales agent for Malone, then married her third husband, Charles Joseph Walker, a St. Louis newspaperman. After changing her name to "Madam" C. J. Walker, she founded her own business and began selling Madam Walker's Wonderful Hair Grower, a scalp conditioning and healing formula, which she claimed had been revealed to her in a dream. Madam Walker, by the way, did NOT invent the straightening comb, though many people incorrectly believe that to be true.

http://www.madamcjwalker.com/

jada1111

Funny, Madam CJ walker died in 1919 and Teflon was invented in 1938. So there were no teflon coated curling irons back in those days, just uncoated curling irons. We all know that with frequent overuse use all irons are bad for the hair wether they are ceramic or teflon coated. I have had damage from both.

Its funny, since joining LHCF I have realised that many (not all) hair stylists don't know much about black hair other than relaxing it and trimming it- especially here in London. I am finding recently that I know more about my hair compared to my stylist (my stylist actually pointed this out, and asked me for LHCF link. She said she was not taught a lot about black hair in beauty college even though it was a course for black haircare). The good thing about my stylist is that she is open to new ideas and increasing her knowledge base.

Me too. I'm natural and I realize that black (and white) stylists know NOTHING about taking care of our hair. Everything I learned about taking of my hair I learned on the internet and messageboards.

Even when I was relaxed I stopped listening to stylists once I visited the hairboards.

All I need them for is a good trim, but I don't even need them for that anymore, because my hair is EVEN now. All I need to do is light dusting on the ends and call it a day.

bravenewgirl87

Isn't it true that anything in excess can be a bad thing :rolleyes:? I wish she would have been more specific and provided more evidence supporting that loose statement. :perplexed

Basically. Don't return to her, find another hairstylist. I know it's easier said than done, but if she uses heat on your hair... you're in trouble. Honestly, EVERYONE at the JC Penny's salon's in my area use the Chi on their client's hair.

foxieroxienyc

Furthermore, they were probably using the irons on the HIGHEST setting thinking that's what needed to handle black hair. :perplexed:nono:

gymfreak336

Furthermore, they were probably using the irons on the HIGHEST setting thinking that's what needed to handle black hair. :perplexed:nono:

Right! That is what I am thinking too. There are so many varibles you have to look at. This is where CRITICAL THINKING skills come into play.

Where they using their irons on the highest setting or any setting too high for their hair type?
Was the hair clean or dirty?
How frequently were the irons used?
One or more passes on each section of hair?
Heat protectant, was it used?
Was oil or grease used before ironing?
What was their usual regime, were they washing and deep conditioning on a regular basis?
Did they already have Damaged hair to begin with?

HoneyDew

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

I needed to read something funny today!!

Where do they get these stylists from??? So many of them are giving the industry a VERY bad name!

Lucky's Mom

Good LORD........................

Black stylists as USUAL - Full of Bad information, and no understanding of history................

:look::look::look::nono:

That is why I stay away from them.

ravenmerlita

I've never heard that before. I wonder if her advice is influenced by cost? The ceramic irons I've seen cost more than teflon ones. If a stylist doesn't want to spend more money on the better tool, it seems convenient to say that teflon is better.

There is a Wikipedia answer on ceramic vs. teflon:

Wikipedia
Q. What is the difference between ceramic and teflon plates in hair straighteners and flat irons and is it more important than the steam?
A. Ceramic plates and coils on CHI Flat Irons maintain an even temperature all the time, eliminating hot spots that can cause damage and breakage to the delicate hair strands. Ceramic technology in flat irons also produces negative ions to seals the cuticle, repel humidity and lock in hair color while smoothing and straightening your hair. Flat irons made with traditional copper coils can cause damage by pulling and snagging the hair strands and drying the hair because there is no ionic technology to protect the hair from the excessively high temperature of the hair straightener. Other coatings such as Teflon can burn and chip causing additional damage.

LiLi

Right! That is what I am thinking too. There are so many varibles you have to look at. This is where CRITICAL THINKING skills come into play.

Where they using their irons on the highest setting or any setting too high for their hair type?
Was the hair clean or dirty?
How frequently were the irons used?
One or more passes on each section of hair?
Heat protectant, was it used?
Was oil or grease used before ironing?
What was their usual regime, were they washing and deep conditioning on a regular basis?
Did they already have Damaged hair to begin with?

Gym ... you are always on point girl!! They probably flat ironed everyday on dirty, greasy hair. I used to flat iron on dirty hair (at the beginning of my hair care journey) thinking it was ok since I deep conditioned that week, but my hair was sufferING!!

I am so glad I am free from the reins of a stylist. :grin:

gymfreak336

Gym ... you are always on point girl!! They probably flat ironed everyday on dirty, greasy hair. I used to flat iron on dirty hair (at the beginning of my hair care journey) thinking it was ok since I deep conditioned that week, but my hair was sufferING!!

I am so glad I am free from the reins of a stylist. :grin:

Thanks LiLi.....I am just saying though. I don't think we use deductive reasoning and critical thinking skills enough. I remember when I would wait until my hair was dirty to flat iron it thinking I was bout to look good :lol: No wonder I ain't have no hair :lachen:

If anything we need the infrared heat more than other hair types.

PrettyBrownEyes

Exactly .. sorry but shes not to bright because if she was she would realize that the reason their hair broke was because they used it everyday and not because it was a ceramic iron. Its like she just made that up off the top of her head without even thinking first. Im sorry after that comment i would not continue to go to her i would be scared for my hair.

I'm defninately not going back to her not just for her Ceramic Iron theory but, some other things as well. I will say this though, she gives a very good relaxer touch-up. She uses all of the Affirm products in the proper order and thoroughly washes the hair and conditions. Their is just stuff about her personality that gets under my skin. If she would just quietly do my hair everything would be fine.

NYAmicas

Seeker

That is a good thing.:yep:
OP, that lady was bugging.