Changing Stylists.........

Lisa23

My regular stylist was out sick and I had to use another one in the same salon and I LOVED how my hair came out with her. My regular stylist does a fine job, but this stylist was a lot better. I've been going to my stylist for over a year, how can I successfully switch without there being animosity? I hate conflict.

TIA for the suggestions.

bluediamond0829

oh boy thats really hard..i thought about doing the same thing...with the salon that im going to..because i saw how good the owner/stylist did hair and i did wantd to switch to her...i dont know...i think you should stick with your regular stylist...just to keep conflict down...because u never know how they might handle the situation and how mature they are to handle it....

MizaniMami

LOL! No advice but just don't do what my friend did: She used to have me calling the salon asking for the other stylist and then as soon as the other stylist would get on the phone she would have me hand her the phone.:lachen: I'm talking a GROWN arse woman doing this!:lachen:

Be prepared, your old stylist might be mad at you or even her for "stealing" her client. I know my old stylist salon used to be on that.

deltagyrl

Your hair looks great!

There's a thread somewhere on salon etiquette and this is "supposed" to be a BIG no-no. That being said know that I've switched stylists within the same salon before and didn't bat an eye.:p If you can handle the tension that will probably result from the switch go for it. If not, I say, find another salon.

HTH!

leleepop

If you hate conflict than dont do it. If you have been going to her for a year than she must be doing something right. If you change you should at least not do it in her face.

kally

I would go with the one who does your hair the way you Like best. Business is business and this is your hair we are talking about. After all you did not sign no contract with your reg stylist. Are yaw buddies? do you kick it with this girl on regular bases? Friendship does not seem to be an issue here. JMO

JLove74

I think one way of changing (but could get a little tricky) is try to schedule your appt w/the new stylist on a day when the old is off. If that's an option

or you can be real professional about it and...

Talk to your original hairdresser and tell her you are thinking about trying one of the other hair dressers. Simple as that. I've done it. I told the other stylist it's nothing personal, strictly business. If she can't be professional about it - so be it. You tried....

Shimmerwink

Good question. I have done this before. I went to one stylist for about a year but because of stretching it was not often so half the time she would not remember me! So when i decided to switch to a stylist at the same salon that my friend goes to and is so much better, i just stayed away for a few months (braids) and the next time i went i just called the other stylist and prayed the old one did not remember me......she never said a word to me and i don't think she remembered me.
I would say do what is best for your hair.

buttaflye03

I also was going to suggest to go to the salon when the other one is off. Sneaky I know. It's a real awkward situation.

deejoy

Just make an appointment with the other one and switch. I did this earlier this year. I had been seeing my old stylist for a little over a year. When I first came to her, she told me that my hair was uneven and she wanted to trim it. She gave me a mirror and told me how much she wanted to cut. She asked me did I want it cut. I said no. She told me (with an attitude) that if I was getting my hair done, I might as well get it done right. I felt that comment was patronizing and out of line. But I decided to go along with it anyway. A few hair appointments later, I saw someone with really pretty layers and I wanted to get it. She told me my hair was too thin for it, which I felt that it wasn't. Later on, I noticed that one guy got a lot of good recommendations here and on other boards. I saw he was a lot better than her too so I decided to switch and made an appointment with him. I did have about a 9 month break between my old stylist and my new one because I decided to do my hair at home for a while.

KiniKakes

Honestly..... I wouldnt do it. I think there are "other fish in the sea", and if you really arent happy with your current stylist, you can shop around and find a stylist at another salon.

Salons are just so.... political sometimes, you know? I realize that "business is business", but for me its also about etiquette and tact.

I just think that your former stylist will be hurt/offended.... it will definitely impact her relationship with the new stylist.... your relationship with her (not that you necessarily care)..... there will be tension in the salon when you come in.... so on and so forth. *shrug* I would personally feel too uncomfortable, and I dont think its worth it.

If you MUST stay with this new stylist, i would personally do as another young lady suggested and see her on the days that your former stylist is off. I know thats hella passive aggressive but.... i just dont like being in uncomfortable situations. And it would be pretty awkward for me.

mango387

Lisa23, this is such a timely subject for me. I have been to a stylist only once since I have moved and that was for a touch-up. I was not particularly pleased with how my hair was treated. She used a fine-tooth comb to comb through my new growth before applying the relaxer:eek: . When I asked her is she had a wide-toothed comb, the stylist told me that I had too much new growth (4b/a-9 weeks post) and that none of my hair had broken. Sister, then showed me the comb. While no hair was broken (I have pretty resilient strands), I was about to cry because I am tenderheaded beyond belief. The worse thing is that she applied the relaxer to my 4a nape (leaning more towards 3) when I asked her to apply it to my 4b front first. I was hot:mad: .

Now, to get to my point:lol: There was another stylist there who was using better techniques and her customer had thick APL hair. I would love to switch, but I was concerned about the drama. If I choose another salon, it is going to be at least an hour away whereas as this one is just twenty minutes away. (I live in a predominately white and Asian area and I most definitely miss having 50-11 beauty salons, nooks, crannies on every block:( )

juicy555

Lisa23 said:
My regular stylist was out sick and I had to use another one in the same salon and I LOVED how my hair came out with her. My regular stylist does a fine job, but this stylist was a lot better. I've been going to my stylist for over a year, how can I successfully switch without there being animosity? I hate conflict.

TIA for the suggestions.

Please oh please oh please tell me what salon you go to! I've been trying to get a referral for a LA salon on this board for over a week now! Puhleeeeeeeeeeeze?!?:p