Cheap braids…

Lebiya

It is true buying cheap braids can break your hair and cause breakage?

I’m low on cash and I’d like to buy some braids from the dollar store : ) But im afraid I’ll get breakage or worse

..Has anyone bought cheap braids before? …if so what kind of results did you get when you took them out?

tenjoy

i know you are trying to save money, but be sure your comparing cost per ounce if you really trying to save.

Dollar store pack can be extremely skimpy.

PassionFruit

I pay 6 bucks total for my individuals 2 packs for 2.99 each. But everyone is different. I know couple girls who can't mess with "kanekalon" at all.

for certain styles the kanekalon hair is better... things like flat twists & such...

I think some folks just assume cuz other hair cost more, its better... with synthetic, I dont see much of a difference between brands no matter the cost

for human hair, thats a whole different story....

Prettyeyes

Sam, just curious have you had a bad experience with less than kanekalon, like breakage,dryness, just curious. Not being sarcastic, at all.

Lucky's Mom

Sam, just curious have you had a bad experience with less than kanekalon, like breakage,dryness, just curious. Not being sarcastic, at all.

No - but I have purchased it. And attempted to dip it, prep it, etc... and it matted and tangled badly.

I would not risk it on my hair.

AwesomelyNappy

I’m low on cash and I’d like to buy some braids from the dollar store : ) But im afraid I’ll get breakage or worse

..Has anyone bought cheap braids before? …if so what kind of results did you get when you took them out?

i'd like to know all of this too, as i've recently started braiding with synthetic hair in my dd hair(cornrolls)... (and may start on my own hair for the summer)

so far i'm learning that "kanekalon" and up is best for braiding hair. (still, i dont know all the "levels" of fake hair, dont know the names or types of synthetics out there, and I dont know where the different types of synthetics sit on the totem poll. like, if kanekalon is "acceptable", then why, and what are three that are better (listed in descending order) and what are three that is considered worse? ... but maybe this should all be asked in another thread)

poetist

I went to buy some braiding hair the other day and was trying to decide between a $2.99 pack of kanekalon vs a 99cent 100% synthetic fiber. The guy said that many people complain that the synthetic cuts into their hands. It felt very dry and brittle and even though I moisturize like crazy a $2 savings is not worth losing my progress. So I bought the kanekalon.

Prettyeyes

I prefer to use Kanekalon or human hair in my hair. BUT I have used cheaper hair many times for quick hair styles. I had no extra breakage because I baby my hair. But I did get matting (on the ends cause they were left unbraided) But I just trimmed it and kept going.

Cheap Hair-Great for styles you are only keeping in for a week or two.

Long term styles pay the $1.99 per bag for the kanekalon or use human.

I been wearing braids for over 15 years and this is my rule of thumb.

Last edited:

AwesomelyNappy

ok, so i have a question (sorry if its a dumb Q)... is Kanekalon considered synthetic hair? is it real, (but non-human) hair? or is it somewhere in between? TIA

Vinyl

I have a question too... Does Kanekalon work when you only braid part of the hair, and leave the rest loose?

AwesomelyNappy

I have a question too... Does Kanekalon work when you only braid part of the hair, and leave the rest loose?

like one would do with microbraids? good question! I would like to know too! bumping

(adding to her question, would the hair mat or tangle if let out?)

Mook's hair

like one would do with microbraids? good question! I would like to know too! bumping

(adding to her question, would the hair mat or tangle if let out?)

Human hair is best to use for that purpose.

However, to achieve a similar look with Kanekalon hair. Usually the hair is braided all the way to the ends and then the ends are dipped in boiling water for a few seconds and then unbraided. this will allow for a braid-out wavy look at the ends. If your hair is long Be sure not to dip your own hair in the boiling water.:nono:

I do not suggest leaving kanekalon hair out at the ends (straight) It tends to mat and kind of dread and usually will start to look bad faster than you want it to.

Another option is to roll or spiral the ends on flexi rods or sponge rollers.

The boiling water will set the curl and keep the ends from becoming unruly as quickly.

Cheaper dollar store hair that is labeled as Kanelalon has the following problems for me. (I AVOID THIS KIND OF HAIR- IT'S NOT REALLY A BARGAIN)

As previously mentioned, the packs are skimpy so you're not getting as much.
When dipped in hot water, it does not set as well, sometimes not at all depending on the brand.

If you are burning the ends. The smell is horrible and the SYNTHETIC hair melts like crayons and is hard to cap off the burnt end because it retains the heat longer.

HTH

missnappylady

OT. Is that you in your siggy? :gorgeous: