Check out Anita Grant!!

*ElleB

http://naturallycurly2.com/curlmart/marketplace.php

http://www.anitagrant.com

By Michelle Breyer

Three years ago, as Anita Grant was getting ready for a job interview, she poured some hair lotion into her hands.

"They started to burn," Grant recalls. "In a matter of minutes, blisters began popping up all over my hands. I was seriously freaking out."

She made it to the interview, but ended up in the hospital with a serious allergic reaction to propylene glycol, a chemical solvent commonly used to absorb extra water and to maintain moisture in certain medicines and cosmetics.

"When I was sitting in the hospital, I began to ask myself some questions: Why am I here? Why didn't I look at the ingredients? What do these ingredients do?" she says. "As soon as I got home, I decided I was going to make my own product."

So began her obsession with ingredients -- a fascination that has spawned her 7-month-old Anita Grant line of natural hair and skin-care products. On this particular evening, Grant was getting ready to mix up some of her Rhassoul Deep Condish and her Creamy Cafe Latte in her kitchen, in her home outside London. Early the next morning, she would start making some of her Whipped Butter. Her products all contain natural ingredients such as Brazilian and African butters, virgin coconut oil and coffee oil.

"It's all very, very fresh," Grant says.

Her products were created after several years of scouring books about ingredients and learning about their beneficial properties for hair and skin. She would wander the aisles of grocery and beauty stores, picking up bottles and studying the ingredients. Once she was kicked out of a store when she spent too long reading the labels.

The timing was ideal for Grant to begin experimenting with ingredients because she had just begun transitioning to natural hair -- a decision spurred by her trip to the hospital and her newfound knowledge about chemicals.

Grant began mixing up hair products for herself, swapping ingredients and recipes with women on natural hair Web sites around the world. Grant realized she could make a business out of her obsession when these women began asking to buy some of her own homemade concoctions.

"They started putting ideas into my head," she says.

Grant had worked in technology, but was more than ready to make a career change. She found herself working on her Web site and her business plan at work. She quit that job, and on Dec. 5 launched Anitagrant.com. She started her business with the Whipped Butter, her Creamy Cafe Latte and her Rhassoul Deep Condish. The line now includes three organic oils (watermelon, papaya and marula), five organic herbs (lavender flower, nettle leaf herb, blue malva, chamomile and horsetail), Pure Shaving Oil for Men, Handmade Shampoo and Exfoliating Bars, Virgin Mango Butter Coconut Whip, organic rose petals & buds and her popular Lippy Puckers.

"I am having a lot of fun," she says of her new endeavor.

Grant says her Web site isn't just about the "goodies" she sells, but also includes useful information, such as tips and tricks to help people whip up natural hair products themselves with ingredients in their own kitchen -- whether it be honey or yogurt.

One day, Grant says she would love to have her own store, with a workshop in the back where she can mix up her creations. She would like her customers to be able to call in their orders and then pick them up fresh later that day.

"That would be my ideal situation," she says.

Grant says she is excited about the growing momentum for natural hair, which she sees in Europe as well as the United States. She cites the popularity of natural hair Web sites and the proliferation of conferences for natural hair as proof of this growing acceptance for curly, kinky hair.

"When I go anywhere in London and wear my hair in an afro puff, I get looked at by both curly and straight-haired people," she says. "They look at me with a mixture of curiosity and admiration. That's the vibe I get."

dreysonsmommy2011

You Know...I came across her website the other day! Her products look very good. So good that I think that I am going to purchase some of them;)

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
She's a really nice person, she's a regular on Nappturality, and alot of people love her products. I think natural products work the best on my hair

Super_Hero_Girl

Wildchild453 said:
She's a really nice person, she's a regular on Nappturality, and alot of people love her products. I think natural products work the best on my hair

Ditto!

She knows her stuff too. She is a wiz at ingredients and making products. That's an interesting article too, thanks for sharing it.

shelli4018

I've read her posts on NP.com. She seems to know her stuff. The thing that impresses me about her is that she's so willing to share her knowledge with others.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
And you can trust she's done her research into what works best, how to formulate her products without harmful preservatives and making SURE they aren't growing out bacteria and such. She's such a shero! I'm gonna try her rhassoul cubes this month, I've been trying to slow down my PJism but I'ma give in to one last treat.

*ElleB

Really she's on NP? Cool, I think I'm going to head on over there myself....I'm itchin to purchase. THose whipped butters are calling my name....

rosalindb

I have been using her products for a few months and I am really impressed with them. They have become my staples. I love the Whipped Butter & the Rhassoul Condish. Her shampoo bar is coming out at the end of this month. I have never tried a poo bar before so am looking forward to trying this one and will purchase this when I next reorder

I also use the Organic Papaya oil for my face and the chocolate lippy pucker is divine :)

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
She is such a sweet lady. Her products are on my list to buy asap! I can't wait to try the Rassoul deep condish cubes. They sound so yummy. She says instead of mixing them w/ water you can also use coconut milk....double yumm!!

A lot of folks on NP seem to love the lippy puckers. Man I can't wait to buy.

ElleB.....there are loads of reviews on NP in the commercial products section. Anita (her name is Shulta over there) will personally answer any questions you have.

rosalindb

Pokahontas said:
She is such a sweet lady. Her products are on my list to buy asap! I can't wait to try the Rassoul deep condish cubes. They sound so yummy. She says instead of mixing them w/ water you can also use coconut milk....double yumm!!

A lot of folks on NP seem to love the lippy puckers. Man I can't wait to buy.

ElleB.....there are loads of reviews on NP in the commercial products section. Anita (her name is Shulta over there) will personally answer any questions you have.
I had a query regarding the Rhassoul Condish and called her directly. She was very helpful and also gave me other useful advice for my hair such as using castor oil for my ends etc. She is a diamond.

I use the Rhassoul Condish with water infused with lavender & chamomile but I also want to try it with coconut milk.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
rosalindb.....how was the Rhassoul Condish? Is it moisturizing and does it smell like chocolate like I'm imaginining it will :)?

rosalindb

Pokahontas said:
rosalindb.....how was the Rhassoul Condish? Is it moisturizing and does it smell like chocolate like I'm imaginining it will :)?
It leaves my hair feeling really soft but nourished. It does smell chocolately and I also add a couple of drops of Ylang Ylang essential oil and leave it on for 30 to 45 minutes. It rinses out surprisingly easily as well.

There is a US based member on NP. She has a severe scalp condition and this is the only conditioner that she has found that will stop the irritation so she orders the large block.

I will try to post the full ingredients later.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
rosalindb said:
It leaves my hair feeling really soft but nourished. It does smell chocolately and I also add a couple of drops of Ylang Ylang essential oil and leave it on for 30 to 45 minutes. It rinses out surprisingly easily as well.

There is a US based member on NP. She has a severe scalp condition and this is the only conditioner that she has found that will stop the irritation so she orders the large block.

I will try to post the full ingredients later.
Thank you. It sounds great. Whenever I get it I will definitely be trying it with the coconut milk since plain coconut milk does so well on my hair anyway.

rosalindb

Pokahontas said:
Thank you. It sounds great. Whenever I get it I will definitely be trying it with the coconut milk since plain coconut milk does so well on my hair anyway.

Here are the ingredients and information from the card:

Our mineral rich recipe strengthens & fortifies your lovely
tresses & detoxifies your scalp leaving hair light, soft and
fluffy. It contains Iron, Calcium, Potassium and
Silica & 1000iu of Vitamin E and other hair loving ingredients.

Storage of product: ONLY make enough for one application.
Store unused Rhassoul Condish in a cool, dry place away
from moisture, heat and/or direct sunlight.

Ingredients : Rhassoul clay powder, Organic Unrefined
Cocoa Butter, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Organic 100% Cocoa
Powder, Organic Unrefined Murumuru Butter, MSM, Organic
Chilean Honey & 1000iu of Natural Soya Derived Vitamin E

Allergy Advice: Contains Organic Cocoa Butter, Organic Cocoa
Powder & Organic Honey. Not suitable for babies or kids under 2.

Guapa1

Anita is an amazing person, I've met her on np.com London link ups.

She knows her stuff, and is really passionate about what she does. We went to a natural hair show, and went into a class about natural oils and ended up taking it over! LOL
I've tried a couple of her products, and been a tester for one of the new products she's got coming out.
Try her out, they are FANTASTIC!

alexstin

She is very nice to work with. I tried her goody sampler but I can't say the products worked for my relaxed head. The rassoul(sp?) conditioner didn't really give any slip but it seemed to make my hair stronger(this is based on the combout). I absolutely love the smell of the lemon souffle hair stuff but applying that to my wet hair did nothing. Maybe I should try again on dry hair.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.:grin:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
rosalindb said:
Here are the ingredients and information from the card:

Our mineral rich recipe strengthens & fortifies your lovely
tresses & detoxifies your scalp leaving hair light, soft and
fluffy. It contains Iron, Calcium, Potassium and
Silica & 1000iu of Vitamin E and other hair loving ingredients.

Storage of product: ONLY make enough for one application.
Store unused Rhassoul Condish in a cool, dry place away
from moisture, heat and/or direct sunlight.

Ingredients : Rhassoul clay powder, Organic Unrefined
Cocoa Butter, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Organic 100% Cocoa
Powder, Organic Unrefined Murumuru Butter, MSM, Organic
Chilean Honey & 1000iu of Natural Soya Derived Vitamin E

Allergy Advice: Contains Organic Cocoa Butter, Organic Cocoa
Powder & Organic Honey. Not suitable for babies or kids under 2.
Thanks rosalindb:).

sassyhair

Naturaline....your second pic in your siggy looks exactly how my bush used to look...oooo how I miss it. The same color and everything, although my color was on my ends all over.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Oooh, I just might pick up some of this stuff. I need to see some more reviews from relaxed heads first, though.:)

natieya

Same here....any more relaxed heads try her stuff? I'm really interested in the Rhassoul conditioner and the shampoo babasu bar. :yep:

InnerSoul

I just peeped her site and dang... it makes me hungry:lick:

her products look very promising... if I ever go natural I will give it a try.. I am stretching my relaxer out for a looooonnnggg time so her products look soooo tempting right now:yep:. **resist product junkie...resist**:look: