Chi Silk Infusion-Heat protectant or not?

Is Chi Silk Infusion a heat protectant?

• Yes, it protects against heat

Votes: 98 72.6%
  • No, some people are mistaken. It is NOT a heat protectant

Votes: 37 27.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I've read a few posts where people say CSI is not a heat protectant. Then I read posts where people say they love it, and it's the best heat protectant :confused:

The bottle doesn't say it's a heat protectant- and in none of the product descriptions I've read online does it say it is a heat protectant.

So does it protect against heat, or does it just make your hair look purdy?

InnerSoul

Yep, the stuff is great. I used this when I used to relax. I personally think its a heat protectant.. but I am no expert.:look:

Last edited:

charmtreese

It's a leave-in with silk proteins to help strengthen your hair. If you use it with heat (ie blowdrying or hood/bonnet dryer) the silk proteins will penetrate better (so it's not really used for airdrying).

I do not use it as a heat protectant. :nono:

stinastina

There was a thread last year on the science of how the cones bond to your hair during the heating process to protect it. Sorry I couldn't find it.

sunshinebeautiful

I use it all the time as a heat protectant. :look:

ETA: An old member that studied science wrote this long, very informative thread about how CSI and its role as a heat protectant. I can't find the thread either.

Last edited:

sunshinebeautiful

It's a leave-in with silk proteins to help strengthen your hair. If you use it with heat (ie blowdrying or hood/bonnet dryer) the silk proteins will penetrate better (so it's not really used for airdrying).

I do not use it as a heat protectant. :nono:

Yeah, I remember now. Navs broke it down and said that CSI has two sizes of silk molecules. The smaller size penetrates your strands with the use of heat, making the hair stronger and silky, while the larger size coats the hair for heat protection. At the time that she posted, she said it was the only product of its kind out on the market. I've been using it as a heat protectant for over a year now and my hair hasn't suffered because of it.

charmtreese

CHI Silk Infusion is marketed as a leave-in, some leave-ins do double as heat protectants, however its main function is to strengthen. CHI makes other products such as CHI 44 Iron Guard Thermal protectant spray and Thermal polishing spray to be used as heat protectants.

I'm sure if you choose to use CHI Silk Infusion as a heat protectant your hair will not suffer as long as the tool you are using is not too hot. However, if I would to flat iron regularly I would used the CHI Silk Infusion as a leave in and the CHI 44 Iron Guard as a heat protectant.

sunshinebeautiful

CHI Silk Infusion is marketed as a leave-in, some leave-ins do double as heat protectants, however its main function is to strengthen. CHI makes other products such as CHI 44 Iron Guard Thermal protectant spray and Thermal polishing spray to be used as heat protectants.

I'm sure if you choose to use CHI Silk Infusion as a heat protectant your hair will not suffer as long as the tool you are using is not too hot. However, if I would to flat iron regularly I would used the CHI Silk Infusion as a leave in and the CHI 44 Iron Guard as a heat protectant.

OK. Gotcha. :yep:

Cleve_gryl

I use it when flat ironing :look:. I've heard others on the board used the spray protectant, and thought it made the hair sizzle... Here is a link to the site:

http://www.chiretail.com/infra/silkinfusion.html

CHI Silk Infusion™ - Reconstructing Complex

Leave in, alcohol free reconstructing treatment
Enriched with pure natural silk, wheat and soy proteins
For soft manageable hair with incredible shine and no build up
Protects the hair against thermal styling and environment

tiffers

Yeah, I remember now. Navs broke it down and said that CSI has two sizes of silk molecules. The smaller size penetrates your strands with the use of heat, making the hair stronger and silky, while the larger size coats the hair for heat protection. At the time that she posted, she said it was the only product of its kind out on the market. I've been using it as a heat protectant for over a year now and my hair hasn't suffered because of it.

Oh, cool! I wonder if there's any other product like it now--that's cheaper :perplexed

I sure wish Navs woulda stuck around, she was always droppin knowledge. I miss her posts :(

tiffers

Thanks, Charmtreese!

Your hair has me feenin for some of that WEN cleanser :lick:

tasty0619

I think it is, heat protectants are pretty much just a lot of cones right??? and CHI Silk Infusion has a lot of cones

Also, i have the iron guard, but i have yet to use it, i'm scurred of the sizzle since its water based

bluevalentine

chi 44 ironguard u say?? hmmm.....don't make me go and pick that up, bein the pj that i am. :ohwell: i've seen it around too....and i think its cheaper than the silk infusion and in a bigger bottle i can't quite remember though.

but to answer the question, i've been using it as a heat protectant, but i don't know if its manufactured to be one, but it sure does work good whatever it is lol

lilsparkle825

I've used it for blowdrying and it's worked well. Chi Iron Guard is great for flat ironing.
i've been using silk infusion for about 2 years now as a heat protectant and its great in that respect...but the other day i bought the iron guard and used my moisture block samples at the same time and now i am ready to return the iron guard. i sprayed it on and i fried my scalp even though the flat iron was nowhere near my roots.

texasqt

i've been using silk infusion for about 2 years now as a heat protectant and its great in that respect...but the other day i bought the iron guard and used my moisture block samples at the same time and now i am ready to return the iron guard. i sprayed it on and i fried my scalp even though the flat iron was nowhere near my roots.

I have a bottle of it and I've only used it once. I wish I would have returned. It has too much alcohol in it IMO and it dried out my hair something serious. :nono:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I really don't know since the makers of the product don't label it as such. I used the silk infusion with the actual chi heat protectant for the first time yesterday and all I can say is that my hair has not been this smooth since i was relaxed

misskris816

I'm not sure if it's a heat protectant, but I used it for the first time last week and I was amazed at how smooth/silky my hair looked.

I bought the small bottle and was cussing myself out for buying such a small product for $14. I'm glad I made the purchase because it delivered wonderful results! This is going to be a permanent staple for me.

chebaby

it doesnt say its a heat protectant so i dont assume that it is. i think it is a product that is used for ceramic flat irons to make the hair silky. nothing more.

caribgirl

Bumping for caribgirl :D

:grouphug:You are so AWESOME, Tif!!!!! Thanks for bumping this thread!!

I was pondering the thought all day that I was somehow wrong about this Chi Silk. I know that I read that post by Navs some time ago- That's the reason why I drove in the pouring rain to buy that darn but efective CHi silk infusion :rolleyes: :lachen:.

My hair sisters are soooo knowledgeable and kind!! :grin:

ETA: Navs also dropped the science about why using oil before applying heat is not the wisest thing to do. Check it out here:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=114270

Last edited:

MizzBrown

I own this stuff. Bought if after you ladies scared me and said that i needed to put SOMETHING on my hair to protect it from heat. Even indirect heat from my bonnet dryer.

I got a 12oz bottle on ebay for $20 and change. That price included shipping. I lucked up!

I mix a squirt of this along with a dollop of my leave-in conditioner and apply to hair concentrating on ends.

I've never used this to flat iron since i've been rollersetting exclusively for the past 6 months now so i can speak on that.

Just knowing that i have some sort of heat serum on my head while under the dryer makes me feel better though.

It smells good, like cologne and it feels good in my hands and wet hair. Literally feels like slippery silk when applying.