Chi Silk Infusion-Heat protectant or not?

Is Chi Silk Infusion a heat protectant?

• Yes, it protects against heat

Votes: 98 72.6%
  • No, some people are mistaken. It is NOT a heat protectant

Votes: 37 27.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frostipuff

It is definately a heat protectant.

I wash and blow dry four times a week and flat iron daily.
While my hair is wet, I apply a quater sized amount to my
hair, comb through, blow dry, and flat iron with a 1.5" Chi.

My hair does not have the split ends or damage it had before
I started using this product. I do have to say, my hair feels
dry and crunchy if I apply this product on my hair when dry.

texasqt

It is definately a heat protectant.

I wash and blow dry four times a week and flat iron daily.
While my hair is wet, I apply a quater sized amount to my
hair, comb through, blow dry, and flat iron with a 1.5" Chi.

My hair does not have the split ends or damage it had before
I started using this product. I do have to say, my hair feels
dry and crunchy if I apply this product on my hair when dry.

Ok now Frostipuff! You must explain yourself. :lachen: Tell us the who, what, where, when, and why of your blowdrying and flatiron regimen :grin:

I'm starting my workouts again and airdrying is not my friend, especially at 8 weeks post so spill the beans!!!

Also, what's your hairtype and length?

Last edited:

Frostipuff

Ok now Frostipuff! You must explain yourself. :lachen: Tell us the who, what, where, when, and why of your blowdrying and flatiron regimen :grin:

I'm starting my workouts again and airdrying is not my friend, especially at 8 weeks post so spill the beans!!!

Also, what's your hairtype and length?

Hi texasqt!

I didn't expect a response or comment to my post since I'm
a thread killer, which explains my late response to your questions.:lachen:
Anyway, I'm over 40 w/ thick 4b hair that currently skims my
shoulders. I have my roots colored every two weeks with a
semi-perm color, relax every 6 wees with affirm, my ends dusted
every 4-6 weeks, my new blow dryer is a T3 evolution, and I use
a Chi flat iron-always using the Chi Silk Infusion before any type
of heat.

I wash four or more times a week because I work-out before
work and sweat like a pig. I feel like I don't smell fresh if I don't
wash at least four times during the work week. I have a thing
about smelling my scalp/sweat....

I've adapted this routine after losing over 50 percent of my hair
due to an inept ***** who actually holds a license to do hair. She
put a relaxer in my hair and my hair was coming out by the hand
full-I'm not exaggerating. My hair was so thin, I had to wash it
to fluff it out to hide the extreme thinning. It was easy at first
since I didn't have much hair, but now that my hair is back to
it's original thickness/bulk, I had to buy a better blow dryer to
save time and one that was less damaging-the T3.

I have been fortunate to find a stylist I can trust. I see him
every two weeks and it shows. My hair is full and healthy now
and has never looked better.

So, that's my story. I hope I've been helpful. :yawn:

Last edited:

chebaby

i dont think it is a heat protectant but thats just me. i used to use it but didnt see what the hype was about. i still have like 90% left so i may use it up. now i use paul mitchell heat seal.

Neith

Just have a look at the ingredients:

Cyclomethicone Dinethiconol, Dimethicone, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Ethyl Ester of Hydrolyzed Silk, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance, D&C Yellow 11, D&C Red 17, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, Mica, Boron Nitride Powder

The bolded are all known heat protectants. I'm assuming that the hydrolyzed silk helps as well.

It is a heat protectant. Not an opinion, a fact.

charmtreese

Just have a look at the ingredients:

Cyclomethicone Dinethiconol, Dimethicone, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Ethyl Ester of Hydrolyzed Silk, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance, D&C Yellow 11, D&C Red 17, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, Mica, Boron Nitride Powder

The bolded are all known heat protectants. I'm assuming that the hydrolyzed silk helps as well.

It is a heat protectant. Not an opinion, a fact.

Farouk markets this product as a leave-in Reconstructing treatment (Hence the Hydrolyzed silk) with the added benefit of protecting hair against heat. They have another product in the Chi Infra line that is marketed as the lines heat protector. Also keep in mind that just because those ingredients exist in the product, does not mean they are in there in high enough potency and or are formulated to protect your hair against very high heat. Many true heat protectors suggest how hot a tool should be and the maximum temp allowed.

Many products do a number of things and you can you use it how you like...My ojon revitalizing mist also says it protects hair against heat, but I would dare not use it as a heat protectant.

But if it works well for you as a heat protectant then great!!!:yep::yep:

Neith

Farouk markets this product as a leave-in Reconstructing treatment (Hence the Hydrolyzed silk) with the added benefit of protecting hair against heat. They have another product in the Chi Infra line that is marketed as the lines heat protector. Also keep in mind that just because those ingredients exist in the product, does not mean they are in there in high enough potency and or are formulated to protect your hair against very high heat. Many true heat protectors suggest how hot a tool should be and the maximum temp allowed.

Many products do a number of things and you can you use it how you like...My ojon revitalizing mist also says it protects hair against heat, but I would dare not use it as a heat protectant.

But if it works well for you as a heat protectant then great!!!:yep::yep:

It's funny because you also have to keep in mind that MARKETING isn't a very reliable way to figure out what a product truly does.

They say what they need to say to move the product off the shelves. A little common sense and knowledge of ingredients is essential. You can't trust the company... it's way more profitable to have someone buy a leave in AND a heat protectant.

Why would a "leave in reconstructing treatment" be made primarily of silicone? Regardless of the percentage of other ingredients, we all know that this stuff is mostly silicones.

Just food for thought...

charmtreese

It's funny because you also have to keep in mind that MARKETING isn't a very reliable way to figure out what a product truly does.

They say what they need to say to move the product off the shelves. A little common sense and knowledge of ingredients is essential. You can't trust the company... it's way more profitable to have someone buy a leave in AND a heat protectant.

Why would a "leave in reconstructing treatment" be made primarily of silicone? Regardless of the percentage of other ingredients, we all know that this stuff is mostly silicones.

Just food for thought...

Oddly, I use all of my products per instructions and crazy enough they work the way they are suppose to!!!:look:

Commonsense and product knowledge does go a long way, but when it comes to product formulations unless you are a the maker of the product or a scientist, commonsense and product knowledge may not be enough! Just a little more food for thought...

and btw this product works great for me as a leave-in!!!!:yep:

Neith

Oddly, I use all of my products per instructions and crazy enough they work the way they are suppose to!!!:look:

Commonsense and product knowledge does go a long way, but when it comes to product formulations unless you are a the maker of the product or a scientist, commonsense and product knowledge may not be enough! Just a little more food for thought...

and btw this product works great for me as a leave-in!!!!:yep:

Then we will have to agree to disagree.

I barely take notice of what the manufacturer says about a product unless it's a chemical service or very harsh treatment of some kind.

I've read too many lies and exaggerations to blindly follow what they say. Also, the instructions may not be the best for your individual hair, I'd rather not follow a set of generic directions. For me, the ingredient list is the important thing and my hair thanks me for it :yep:

Just curious... do you find that it strengthens your hair a lot when used as a leave in?

I've only used it with heat and I don't find it to be particularly strengthening... maybe it's from the heat usage.

Last edited:

charmtreese

Then we will have to agree to disagree. I barely take notice of what the manufacturer says about a product unless it's a chemical service or very harsh treatment of some kind.

I've read too many lies and exaggerations to blindly follow what they say. Also, the instructions may not be the best for your individual hair, I'd rather not follow a set of generic directions. For me, the ingredient list is the important thing and my hair thanks me for it :yep:

Just curious... do you find that it strengthens your hair a lot when used as a leave in? I've only used it with heat.

Agreed! IMO product directions are there for a reason!

When I follow directions I feel I am doing the best thing for my hair, I don't blindly do anything, I research all of my products ingredients and usage before I purchase! Also my staple products offer many different ways to use their products, that's why I love them so...

Chi Silk Infusion softens my hair making it easier to detangle! I use it on wet hair before detangling. It makes my hair feel silky smooth!!!:yep:

...And dont get me wrong I read the ingredients on every product I purchase...I am very aware of the importance of product knowledge!

Neith

Agreed! IMO product directions are there for a reason!

When I follow directions I feel I am doing the best thing for my hair, I don't blindly do anything, I research all of my products ingredients and usage before I purchase! Also my staple products offer many different ways to use their products, that's why I love them so...

Chi Silk Infusion softens my hair making it easier to detangle! I use it on wet hair before detangling. It makes my hair feel silky smooth!!!:yep:

...And dont get me wrong I read the ingredients on every product I purchase...I am very aware of the importance of product knowledge!

Well, just call me paranoid... I really don't put my trust into companies. I don't believe they ever have your absolute best interest in mind... they have to make money. Not that they are out to get you, but they still are almost never 100% honest about their product.

I'm my own hair's best friend :yep:

That could just be me and my hair
neuroticism showing through :lol:

I'll try it as a leave in one of these days.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I just revisited this and I'm really happy with the results. :yep: This is something I plan on keeping on hand for those instances I use heat.

empressri

I have no idea, but I used the heat protectant spray AND the silk infusion together and my hair felt nice.

Now when I try it with the sedu next go around I hope it works as well.

ILYandY

I used it and it worked good on my hair but the scent is not a good one, I still use biosilk silk therapy and both products seem to protect my hair against heat I mean in a way that my hair don't not feel or look stripped or dry/fried after I blow dry. And an added benefit is the body I still have because its not heavy or greasy.

I know people like to see pics and or videos which I will post at later date on my comparison results.

Iluvsmuhgrass

When/if I flat iron I use Chi Ironguard. That's a pretty good heat protectant for me. Silk infusion is only used when I blowdry. It doesn't work as well for me as a leave in.

gmw

I am going to say NO. A big FAT NO. I love Chi, but it is not a heat protectant. I am natural and I took my Chi Silk Infusion to the last shop I went to for a blowdry and flat iron.

Long story short, I cut my shoulder length when strecthed hair into a short do, on July 2nd of 2008, because HEAT DAMAGE. They used the Chi on my hair at my insistance.

I would not recommend this a heat protectant. It does make the hair soft, but my hair is gone and I did use it. I will only use products that say HEAT PROTECTANT on the bottle.

angaliquew

I have used it twice and so far so good...although I don't wear a hard press.
The only negative is the scent reminds me of my ex who used to wear Curve cologne from back in the day. :lachen:

ccd

Infuse some silky strength into your hair with CHI Silk Infusion Silk Reconstructing Complex. Enriched with pure natural silk, wheat and soy proteins, this alcohol free treatment promises silky softness, super manageability and unbeatable shine. A small amount on wet hair is all you need to style your hair into silky serenity.
Product Benefits:

• Leave-in restructuring treatment, 2 oz.
  • Enriched with pure natural silk, wheat and soy proteins
  • Increases softness and manageability
  • Cationic Hydration Interlink™ softens and balances hair, locking in moisture
  • Adds incredible shine
  • Protects against thermal styling
  • Alcohol free
  • No build up
  • Can be used every day
  • Made in USA
Directions on Usage:
Apply a small amount of CHI Silk Infusion™ Reconstructing Complex into palm of hands and work evenly throughout the hair. Leave in and proceed with styling.

Did you know this heat protectant is one of our favorites?
Reduce heat styling damage from flat irons, hair straighteners, curling irons and hair dryers with one of our best-selling protectants. Can’t decide? Read about our Top 5 Most Popular Heat Protectants and find out why we love them.

Taken from this website..............
http://www.stylebell.com/CHI-Silk-Infusion-p/sb-00269.htm

MissJ

I am going to say NO. A big FAT NO. I love Chi, but it is not a heat protectant. I am natural and I took my Chi Silk Infusion to the last shop I went to for a blowdry and flat iron.

Long story short, I cut my shoulder length when strecthed hair into a short do, on July 2nd of 2008, because HEAT DAMAGE. They used the Chi on my hair at my insistance.

I would not recommend this a heat protectant. It does make the hair soft, but my hair is gone and I did use it. I will only use products that say HEAT PROTECTANT on the bottle.

Thank you so much for this. A lady that straightened my hair earlier this year used it, and I was thinking about letting her straighten it again next week. I was wondering about that Chi stuff. :scratchch

Keen

Just stop by to sing praises for this product. I don't use it as a heat protectant. I use it on my wet hair and my hair always dry silky and straight. My #1 product hands down.

gissellr78

I vote yes it protects against heat. I believe it says it on the website. I am waiting for mine....I got it on ebay!:lick:

TaurusAngel

I say yes!!!!! That stuff is amazing. I have never suffered from breakage and i have been using it for over 6 months. I apply it before i blow dry. It makes my hair feel so good. I also apply a dab of it to seal sometimes. Its the best.