Chi Silk Infusion-Heat protectant or not?

Is Chi Silk Infusion a heat protectant?

• Yes, it protects against heat

Votes: 98 72.6%
  • No, some people are mistaken. It is NOT a heat protectant

Votes: 37 27.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lucky's Mom

CHI Silk Infusion is marketed as a leave-in, some leave-ins do double as heat protectants, however its main function is to strengthen. CHI makes other products such as CHI 44 Iron Guard Thermal protectant spray and Thermal polishing spray to be used as heat protectants.

I'm sure if you choose to use CHI Silk Infusion as a heat protectant your hair will not suffer as long as the tool you are using is not too hot. However, if I would to flat iron regularly I would used the CHI Silk Infusion as a leave in and the CHI 44 Iron Guard as a heat protectant.

Hey Ladies!
Great information.............So - I woukd presume that FHI hot souace would also be a "leave in" of sorts... Like Chi... Or MoroccanOil.....
Hmm.. Interesting.... They all have most of the same ingredients........

NikStarrr

Yes, I believe it is a heat protectant. It doesn't have to say "HEAT PROTECTANT" in bold capital letters all over it for it to be so. It's about the ingredients. Not to mention it says on the packaging it helps protect with "thermal styling".

Also, I think ppl are expecting these heat protectants to perform miracles. haha They HELP PREVENT damage, or slow down getting damage from regular heat use, but there's no guarantees that it STOPS heat damage. If you happen to have hair that is prone to heat damage or are using extreme heat on a regular basis, you're still taking a risk. There's only so much a little liquid concoction can do against a 400 degree utensil.

Luscious Locks

i just read this off of the Matrix Biolage website: Matrix Expert Tip:
“Many flat iron users commonly assume that serums or other styling products offer heat protection to their hair. While they may add shine, serums do not provide a shield from high temperatures that can leave hair brittle and broken,” explained Paul Smith, Matrix Vice President of Education. “New Sleek.look Iron Smoother offers a unique mix of styling polymers to help protect hair from heated appliances, plus silicone for shine and panthenol to strengthen and condition.”

This is totally right. I think that serums are quite helpful--certainly more helpful than oils in thermal processing, however I do not know what special polymers this company uses, but i think they are onto something.

AtlantaJJ

:arrowup: I'm glad you posted this because I used the Silk Infusion and my hair had that fried smell.. I didn't damage my hair but that told me that the SI wasn't enough alone. I only did it once and I'm going to do a few protein treatments before I attempt to straighten again. I am also going to find the proper heat protection. I have the SMB but I didn't want to use it just to do a length check...:scratchch

Lucky's Mom

According to several sites ( beautybrains, and others)
these cones are effective conditioners....They also appear in many many products.... in different grades....so all of the grades may or may NOT effectively protect hair from heat... But they all do tend to have conditioning properties...

So the chi - might protect... Might not... I don't know. I don't really use it enough to say.

I am a sabino girl.....

i just read this off of the Matrix Biolage website: Matrix Expert Tip:
“Many flat iron users commonly assume that serums or other styling products offer heat protection to their hair. While they may add shine, serums do not provide a shield from high temperatures that can leave hair brittle and broken,” explained Paul Smith, Matrix Vice President of Education. “New Sleek.look Iron Smoother offers a unique mix of styling polymers to help protect hair from heated appliances, plus silicone for shine and panthenol to strengthen and condition.”

This is totally right. I think that serums are quite helpful--certainly more helpful than oils in thermal processing, however I do not know what special polymers this company uses, but i think they are onto something.

Sleek.look Iron Smoother
Ingredients:
Water (Aqua), Alcohol Denat(Drying alcohol), VP/VA Copolymer(This polymer is found in a lot of products, such as leave in conditioners, styling gels, some serums and heat protectants made by other companies), Potassium Dimethicone Peg & Panthenyl Phosphate(silicone), Polyurethane 6, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Fragrance (Parfum), Methyl Gluceth-20, Sodium Citrate, Lysine Hydrochloride, Silk Amino Acids

matrix marketing hype.

imstush

I normally use the Chi Thermal protection before I flat iron or blow dry. But I used the Chi Silk Infusion mixed with some moroccan oil before I did my rollerset on Sunday. My hair felt like silk. I do want to try this
Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide

imstush

Sleek.look Iron Smoother
Ingredients:
Water (Aqua), Alcohol Denat(Drying alcohol), VP/VA Copolymer(This polymer is found in a lot of products, such as leave in conditioners, styling gels, some serums and heat protectants made by other companies), Potassium Dimethicone Peg & Panthenyl Phosphate(silicone), Polyurethane 6, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Fragrance (Parfum), Methyl Gluceth-20, Sodium Citrate, Lysine Hydrochloride, Silk Amino Acids

matrix marketing hype.

^^^that's a different chi product

The ingredients for the Chi Silk Infusion is

Cyclomethicone, Dimethiconol, Dimethicone, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Panthenol, Ethyl Ester of Hydrolyzed Silk, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance, D&C Yellow 11, D&C Red 17, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, Mica, Boron Nitride Powder

pmichael52172

Okay so I'm assuming PM's Super Skinny Serum is not a protectant then. If not, should I:

*apply a heat protectant to damp hair, THEN seal with the Serum before I proceed with drying , or

*mix my protectant WITH my serum and apply?

^^^that's a different chi product

The ingredients for the Chi Silk Infusion is

Cyclomethicone, Dimethiconol, Dimethicone, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Panthenol, Ethyl Ester of Hydrolyzed Silk, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance, D&C Yellow 11, D&C Red 17, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, Mica, Boron Nitride Powder

if you re-read my initial post you would see that the ingredients i typed was for the matrix sleek look iron smoother not chi silk infusion. look above the word 'ingredients' and you will see 'Sleek.look Iron Smoother'.

imstush

if you re-read my initial post you would see that the ingredients i typed was for the matrix sleek look iron smoother not chi silk infusion. look above the word 'ingredients' and you will see 'Sleek.look Iron Smoother'.

relax star it's not that serious:ohwell:

Maz11

CHI Silk Infusion protects against heat.

Farouk, makers of CHI Silk Infusion, focus on marketing CHI's leave-in qualities, while another company (such as Fantasia IC) may choose to focus marketing on their product's heat protectant qualities - the game of marketing & producing higher sales. For me, researching & reading up on the ingredients helped me understand that CHI is a heat protectant & more. For now, either CHI Silk Infusion or Fantasia IC work perfectly well me.

CHI Silk Infusion Ingredients:
Cyclomethicone , Dimethiconol , Dimethicone , C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate , Panthenol , Ethyl Ester of Hydrolyzed Silk , Phenoxyethanol , Fragrance , D&C Yellow 11 , D&C Red 17 , Zinc Oxide , Titanium Dioxide , Mica , Boron Nitride Powder

Fantasia IC -Pink Bottle Serum-Ingredients:
Cyclomethicone , Dimethicone , Cyclopentasiloxane , Dimethiconol ,Dimethicone Crosspolymer , Amodimethicone , Phenyl Trimethicone , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract , Tocopheryl Acetate Vitamin E , Vitamin E , Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate , Fragrance Parfum

Also: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=112817

Last edited:

platinumpapi27

Hi their, my friend is a stylist, she is interested in purchasing the silk infusion. Her clients are african american of course. and she wants to know what your recommendation would be.

She has a sedu flat iron which she just purchased. Do you recommend applying the silk infusion right before flat ironing, or would she have to aply it to the clients before they sit in the dryer?

The process is, the clients they will get their hair washed, then after whatever is done to their hair they will sit in the dryer, then have their hair blow dried and finally flat ironed. When should she apply the silk infusion, so that not only would it protect against heat, but also leave that nice shine, softness and nice smell to the hair?

hothair

Oh, cool! I wonder if there's any other product like it now--that's cheaper :perplexed

I sure wish Navs woulda stuck around, she was always droppin knowledge. I miss her posts :(

:yep::yep::yep: I use this sort of the way you would Lacio lacio, I think it does have "some" protection against heat, but I double up with Aphogee restructurising spray

hothair

She has a sedu flat iron which she just purchased. Do you recommend applying the silk infusion right before flat ironing, or would she have to aply it to the clients before they sit in the dryer?

The process is, the clients they will get their hair washed, then after whatever is done to their hair they will sit in the dryer, then have their hair blow dried and finally flat ironed. When should she apply the silk infusion, so that not only would it protect against heat, but also leave that nice shine, softness and nice smell to the hair?

I'd say before they get into the dryer while the hair is still wet/damp..