CLEAR Glossing / Shine Treatments

Lovie

[FONT=&quot]CLEAR Glossing / Shine Treatments - No color.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Wanted to post my experience with “glossing” treatments since I had a hard time finding info on here when I first went about it a few years ago. Most reviews focused on those that did coloring treatments. I love my natural hair color, but I wanted to see the shine I see in some other hair types. Without creating that effect with a daily styling product (e.g., Anti-Frizz Serums, Oil, etc.)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Purpose of a Shine or Glossing Treatment:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Glossing treatments are often translucent, temporary cellophane based treatments. The intent is for your hair to be infused with vibrant, reflective shine. Additionally, your hair’s cuticle shaft is sealed by the coating of the hair, helping to lock in (or lock out) the state that hair is in. Results last anywhere between 1 week to 6 weeks, depending on the type of treatment. You can have clear glossing treatments, and colored glossing treatments. Often times, professional stylists apply colored glossing treatments over actual chemically-altered colored hair to enhance the treatment, or to give a “refresher”.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Application: How I Apply Glossing Treatments[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I first ensure my hair has been in its healthiest condition for a consistent duration before I do any treatment: no splits, clean even ends, not over/under moisture protein, stressed parts, scalp irritation, shedding, breakage, etc. etc. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Once this is confirmed, I take the following steps to provide a self-administered "glossing" treatment:[/FONT]

§[FONT=&quot]Wash hair usually night before I go to sleep. Wrap head in towel to soak excess moisture. Apply deep conditioner.[/FONT]
§[FONT=&quot]Deep condition hair over night.[/FONT]
§[FONT=&quot]In morning, rinse conditioner out of hair. Hair is clean, freshly washed, and well conditioned.[/FONT]
§[FONT=&quot]Drape towel over head. Don't rub or twist. Keep on head while I prep skin for face mask, by the time i am done towel soaks up excess moisture for more product to be absorbed in strands.[/FONT]
§[FONT=&quot]Apply gloss treatment to length of hair. I apply TONS of product, and wrap head very tightly with saran wrap. [/FONT]
§[FONT=&quot]Apply plastic conditioning cap (just because) and sit under dryer for about 30 minutes. I have the heat on my Pibbs up as hot as I can stand it.[/FONT]
§[FONT=&quot]Shower as usual, rinsing gloss treatment, mask and scrubbing back last.[/FONT]
§[FONT=&quot]Style hair as desired.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Other things to note. I have also applied directly after self-relaxing w/Phytospecific Index I, when the hair is more porous and the product will penetrate and seal better. I had excellent results. If other users have experience with doing a rinse while relaxing, please advise.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Products To Consider For Clear Glossing Treatments:[/FONT]
-[FONT=&quot]Frederic Fekkai Salon Glaze[/FONT]
-[FONT=&quot]Graham Webb HALO High-Gloss Rinse[/FONT]
-[FONT=&quot]Sebastian Colour Shines in Clear[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Product Reviews: Glossing Treatment[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Fredrick Fekkai Salon Glaze[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Manufacturer Product Info: http://www.fekkai.com/products/salon-glaze/[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Avg. Price:$15[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sold at Sephora, Bath & Body Works, Nordstrom[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I actually was given about 10 samples of the FF Salon Glaze by an Iranian Frederic Fekkai representative during a private shopping event at Nordstrom. Was told that the purpose is to increase shine and vibrancy on clean healthy hair by sealing the shaft with reflective ingredients. I still have not used the samples, so can't comment on the product at all. I did ask for feedback on how to use the treatment, she said that how I use it below is just fine. Oh, and that a cold rinse seals.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Graham Webb HALO High-Gloss Rinse[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Manufacturer Product Info: http://www.halohaircare.com/products/rinse-highgloss.asp[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Avg. Price: $18[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sold at Beauty First, Trade Secret, Pure Beauty[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I've been using HALO for about 2 years. [/FONT][FONT=&quot] I came to discover it as I was looking for something to increase the shine that I saw in clients who would color their hair, but I never wanted to have to color to do it. I just wanted the shine. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]While it is marketed as a weekly treatment, I use it as needed when I want to heat style and wear hair down for Mr. I consider this product as a comparable market product with the FF Salon Glaze. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I apply as I describe below. Hair is always shiny. Just doesn't last as long as I would like, so I don't always apply. I think it lasts about 2-3 washes. I've used about 3 or 4 bottles over the past 2 years. I think when I am done with the last bottle, I won’t repurchase, since I am very pleased with the Sebastian Clear Cellophane rinse now, and the results last longer.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Sebastian Colourshines Cellophane[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Manufacturer Product Info: http://www.sebastian-intl.com/colourshines_index.php[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Avg. Price: $35-40[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sold at Trade Secret. (It was hard for me to find in stores! Finally asked a BSS to order clear & black for me.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]About 3 months ago, I decided I wanted to search for a product that gave longer lasting shine than the HALO Hi-Gloss Rinse. I have never colored, permanently or semi, but when I did research and learned that this isn’t a chemical process, but a rinse out gloss with color pigments, I decided to try. I understand that it binds the hair and deposits stuff that makes your hair reflect light (hence the name). I purchased in Clear and in Black to make my current color look a bit more dramatic. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I self-relaxed about 14 weeks post, conditioned, did the treatment, and thought the results were fantastic. I was impressed with the shine. My mom noticed the difference about two weeks after I did it – and I had washed almost daily. The shine definitely lasted longer than the results with the HALO Hi-Gloss weekly treatment. I read reviews on many other boards, and they are always positive, users repeat applying with intense heat. I bought this in black also, to try a color, but I want to make sure it truly won’t damage my hair. I understand that it is just a pigment deposit of color, similar to a rinse but longer lasting without the stress caused by semi/permanent color. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Would be interested in hearing other’s experiences also so members and lurkers alike can learn. I’m sure there are others, if you can provide feedback or insights, please share! It took me forever to find clear gloss treatments outside of salons. TIA!:rolleyes:[/FONT]

keysha1983

I was just googling color glossed the other day. Thank you so much for the information. I might try the Clairol color gloss this weekend. Thanks!

Love Always

Thanks for the review. I just told my sister about this review and I told her that I was interested in the clear Sebastain Colourshine. Well, I'm natural and she's relaxed and she told me that stylist say that this wouldn't work on natural hair :perplexed. That statement doesn't sit well with me, what are you thoughts about this statement? Anyone could chime in.

LushLox

Great review - thanks very much, it's inspired me to try it!

ETA: Do you need to increase your clarifying because of additional build up due to this product?

Last edited:

Lovie

That doesn't sit well with me either. C'mon. GLOSS won't work on your hair? Because its curly? I don't see why it wouldn't work on natural hair. I would be interested in knowing the reasoning the stylist had for this not working. Does she specialize in natural hair? Maybe her application technique was not successful because she wasn't knowledgeable on how to accommodate a different type of texture.

I've seen reviews from people of all types and all textures who have had success with glosses/clear rinses, regardless of specific product. That is almost like saying color won't work on natural hair, because its basically clear color (if that is possible) :) I would check reviews for other naturals on other sites maybe, do a bit more research, ask her the source for coming to the conclusion, then determine if you're willing to try.

It would probably work BETTER for you since you haven't chemically altered your hair at all. Either way, it doesnt hurt to try it, as the effects are not damaging to my best understanding (which continues to grow each day mind you!) :)

Lovie

Great review - thanks very much, it's inspired me to try it!

ETA: Do you need to increase your clarifying because of additional build up due to this product?
No, I haven't found that I need to increase clarifying from this treatment. I do notice that when my hair is clean, fresh, cone free, and perfectly moisturized/proteined, (is that a word?) :) I get the best results. Thats why I DC overnight and rinse it all out, or do it after phyto-laxing.

I think that the HALO was a bit lighter of an application -- but the Sebastian, seems that it locks your hair into whatever state it is in. That can be good or bad. I wouldn't do the shine treatment if I knew I needed to DC. I would be nervous of it sealing my hair TOO much or depositing sparkelites where glycerin could go. I dunno, just my humble opinion.

After the application, I wash with my regular routines as usual...of which many do have various cones...no problems there...

AtlantaJJ

Most stylist in Los Angeles do color glossings and clear glossings routinely. I used to get them when I was in college, I graduated in 1985. I was getting Sebastian Cellophane's back then and I still do them. My sister is natural, she wears her hair pressed all the time and she gets cellophanes or whatever the new ones are called.

They are great for fine hair, it gives the hair some weight and body at the same time. They remind me of henna in that regard, but I can only speak for Sebastian Cellophanes, I always felt they made my hair stronger.

Last edited:

morehairplease

Most stylist in Los Angeles do color glossings and clear glossings routinely. I used to get them when I was in college, I graduated in 1985. I was getting Sebastian Cellophane's back then and I still do them. My sister is natural, she wears her hair pressed all the time and she gets cellophanes or whatever the new ones are called.

They are great for fine hair, it give the hair some weight and body at the same time. They remind me of henna in that regards, but I can only speak for Sebastian Cellophanes, I always felt the made my hair stronger.

AtlantaJJ thanks for sharing this......I am ALL over this now for sure:yep:!

AtlantaJJ

AtlantaJJ thanks for sharing this......I am ALL over this now for sure:yep:!
I'm not sure about the other brands but the Sebastian Cellopanes are very similar to a protein treatment in my opinion. I just follow with a light shampoo and a good moisture treatment and my hair is pure loveliness. Its my sisters trick to get that shine on her pressed hair. She always uses clear, I like the wine, burgundy colors.

Lovie

Hi and Thanks AtlantaJJ!

So, am I correct that there is NOT any type of chemical impact from using the color gloss? I am about 95% certain that this won't cause damage, but I want to ask a novice that has been using it for a very long time. With great hair to show!! Also, thanks for the tip on the moisture treatment follow up. I will definitely make sure I do that next time.

morehairplease

I'm not sure about the other brands but the Sebastian Cellopanes are very similar to a protein treatment in my opinion. I just follow with a light shampoo and a good moisture treatment and my hair is pure loveliness. Its my sisters trick to get that shine on her pressed hair. She always uses clear, I like the wine, burgundy colors.

thanks sweetie! I want to try the the black cherry color. I have also been looking into colorshowers(dark brown) at roundhairbrush.com

Last edited:

Lovie

More info on a random web site that lists a few other clear gloss treatments and talks a bit to silicones vs. cellophane. I have cut and pasted below in case the link expires later.

Source: http://www.celebrity-beauty-tip-goldmine.com/make-your-hair-shine.html

Make Your Hair Shine

What are the latest innovative products that will make your hair shine?

Jessica Alba's celebrity hairstylist Kyle White loves a new product from Oscar Blandi called Luce Sheer Gloss. "It contains light-reflecting polymers that last longer than silicone products", he has said. ($24.00 at Sephora.com).
Pantene Pro-V Ice Shine is a new line said to give your hair twice the shine. According to Pantene it has suberb moisturizing and cuticle-smoothing actions which make hair gleam. The reviews on beauty websites from people who have actually used the product seemed pretty positive, although some say it takes at least 7 days before you see full results. This line consists of shampoo, conidtioner, a serum and several styling products.

The Natural Instincts hair color line by Clairol has also just come out with a new product called Shine Happy that will make your hair shine. This is a clear shine treatment that coats your hair with a shine ingredient that lasts for up to 4 weeks. This shine product can be used on color-treated, highlighted or natural non color-treated hair. You apply the product like a shampoo and then rinse it out after ten minutes. It comes with a weekly deep conditioning treatment that helps keep the shine ingredient sealed onto the hair. The product also helps to give the hair a silky feel. The Clairol Color Experts recommend using this product three weeks after your hair is colored or once a month on natural hair. This product is available at drug stores nationwide.

The Nice and Easy hair color line by Clairol also has a new product called Color Boosting Glaze that will make your hair shine. This product can refresh color and add shine between hair color treatments. This product gives hair a “boost of color and shine”, in as little as five minutes. It last for up to six shampoos. You simply apply it to damp hair, wait five minutes and rinse. You use it when your hair color first shows signs of fading. You can use it either with store bought hair color or with salon color, and with any brand or shade! It contains aloe, jojoba oil and Vitamin E and contains no ammonia or peroxide so its gentle on your hair.. It presents a great alternative to coloring hair frequently. And it makes hair oh, so shiny!

The John Frieda hair care line has also come out with a new shine product that will make your hair shine. It is called Luminous Color Glaze. It is a “color glosser” and “shine booster” in one. You choose from the blonde, red, or brunette shades available and apply the product after shampooing and conditioning, distributing it evenly from roots to tips. (Be sure to wash your hands well after use as this product contains a small amount of hair color). Leave the product on your hair for three minutes and then rinse well (we recommend to rinse for at least two to three minutes). This product adds a touch of color, shine and silkiness and can be used to perk up color-treated hair (between colorings), highlighted hair and even natural non color-treated hair.

Glosses and glazes galore have hit the shelves, but these aren't the only new shine technologies. Other new products use mica (the same flecks that reflect light in shimmery makeup products). Try Dove Advanced Color Care Leave-In Luminizing Mist ($6.00 at Dove.com), or if you're a blonde, Pantene Pro-V Blonde Expressions Shimmer Lock Gel ($6.49 at Walmart).

What is the "very best" way to make your hair shine?

Many salons offer a process known as a cellophane treatment. A cellophane treatment consists of covering the hair with a long-term shine product. The product is left on the hair usually for less than half an hour and then rinsed out. Your hair will have incredible shine and silkiness for four to six weeks. Cellophane treatments are usually less than 50.00 and are a great choice to make damaged hair look silky.

What other ways are there to make your hair shine?

For your hair to appear shiny you must keep it as clean as possible. While you should aim to wash it every other day, keep it clean by being sure that you are not committing any of the “hair sins” listed in the Best Tips for Shampooing and Conditioning Hair article. Also when rinsing out your hair after conditioning, make your last rinse a cold one, to seal up the cuticle so that light can reflect from your hair and make hair look shiny. At the end of your blow-drying session, be sure to point the nozzle down the hair shaft, so that the cuticle lies flat, and use thecool setting to further seal the cuticle which will further help hair reflect light.

If you really want to add shine, consider purchasing a shampoo with silk in it (Biolage, found in salons). Microstrips of silk fibers make the hair shiny, by acting like hundreds of tiny reflecting particles that act like mirrors and catch light. You may also choose to use a shine gloss or spray. Use the spray if your hair is fine, and the gloss otherwise. Try Citre Shine sprays or glosses.

If your hair is frizzy, the way to make it look healthier is to keep it moisturized and shiny. You need an extra strength hair gloss, so look for hair serums, which are designed for your hair type. (Try Frizz Ease Hair Serum by John Freida).

LushLox

^^^Thanks for the additional information Lovie. I'm going to pick up some today if I can find it!

LaidBak

This is great information! I always wondered about Sebastian. I was dissuaded from experimenting because of the price. I've used John Freida before but because my hair was so dry I think I didn't get the results I wanted. It left my hair soft and smelling good, but not shiny.
Now my hair is healthy and I am trying again. I just bought some Beyond the Zone Color Jamz Clear Shine. It was only $6 and contained no cones, so I figured I'd try it. I'm applying it today. Again, thanks!

ETA: Don't bother with Beyond the Zone. It left white flakes in my hair.

Last edited:

vkb247

Does anyone have experience with Elasta QP glosses? I saw them at the drugstore and was thinking about giving it a try?

How do you guys think a gloss will effect henna'd hair?

AtlantaJJ

I discovered the BKT is like a glosser on steroids!! The smoothness and the weight of it reminds me of the glossing. Not to mention the shine.