Cocoa Butter Thread

curly.123

Does anyone here use cocoa butter? My hair loves it and it smells wonderful!

Benefits of cocoa butter
  • Moisturize the hair
  • Prevents hair loss
  • Strengthens the hair shaft
  • Makes your hair more manageable
  • Adds volume and strength to your fine hair
  • Repairs damaged hair strands
  • Replenish lost oil due to chemical processes
  • Prevents frizz and makes your curls last longer
  • Prevent further damage to your hair

CurlyRy

Does anyone here use cocoa butter? My hair loves it and it smells wonderful!

What are the main differences that you see between cocoa butter and shea butter? After all these years of being natural, I still don't think I've used pure cocoa butter yet! I'm a bit curious now

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
I know you probably mean raw cocoa, but I love products with cocoa butter high in the formulation. Like OYIN’s products and Qhemet Biologics products. BGLH (Black Is Beautiful) also makes a lovely 100% pure whipped cocoa butter that is delightful. Mostly, I use cocoa butter mixed in my DIY cocoashea butter mixes or a commercial formulation.
But yes, cocoa butter is awesome! Food grade kind is delicious too.

snoop

I know you probably mean raw cocoa, but I love products with cocoa butter high in the formulation. Like OYIN’s products and Qhemet Biologics products. BGLH (Black Is Beautiful) also makes a lovely 100% pure whipped cocoa butter that is delightful. Mostly, I use cocoa butter mixed in my DIY cocoashea butter mixes or a commercial formulation.
But yes, cocoa butter is awesome! Food grade kind is delicious too.

Is the food grade cocoa butter hard to find? How do you use it?

snoop

I usually use cocoa butter in my body lotion and I really like it -- it softens my skin very well, so last year I added it to my hair lotion as well too see if it would do the same. I don't add shea butter to my hair lotion, but I think that cocoa butter is a great addition.

I tried it in a whipped butter and it didn't work out well. I think that I had too much cocoa butter in mix so it stiffened up to a point where it was unusable.

The raw cocoa butter that I use is very hard. Like chips of rock.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
It isn’t hard for me to find. I’ve found it at Whole Foods. Also available online. It’s excellent in chocolatey desserts, I just replace regular butter with cocoa butter. So cakes, brownies, cookies, pies all taste delicious with cocoa butter.
ETA: many benefits of cocoa butter are bioavailable when eaten.
Is the food grade cocoa butter hard to find? How do you use it?

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
If your butter mix is still fresh (or just not rancid) you can very easily reformulate if there is no water in your mix. Use a double boiler to melt it down then add more oils while it’s liquid (like coconut, castor, almond, grape seed, &/or apricot— whichever you like). For an even lighter consistency which will stay fluffy and pliable and quick to melt, whip it while it’s liquid. I would say start by adding 10% volume of oil but not to go over 20%— otherwise the texture may become too oily for your liking or the whip will be very unstable.
I usually use cocoa butter in my body lotion and I really like it -- it softens my skin very well, so last year I added it to my hair lotion as well too see if it would do the same. I don't add shea butter to my hair lotion, but I think that cocoa butter is a great addition.

I tried it in a whipped butter and it didn't work out well. I think that I had too much cocoa butter in mix so it stiffened up to a point where it was unusable.

curly.123

What are the main differences that you see between cocoa butter and shea butter? After all these years of being natural, I still don't think I've used pure cocoa butter yet! I'm a bit curious now
the smell lol I want to eat my hair lol Seriously I think cocoa butter is slightly light than shea butter and more nourishing to my hair

snoop

If your butter mix is still fresh (or just not rancid) you can very easily reformulate if there is no water in your mix. Use a double boiler to melt it down then add more oils while it’s liquid (like coconut, castor, almond, grape seed, &/or apricot— whichever you like). For an even lighter consistency which will stay fluffy and pliable and quick to melt, whip it while it’s liquid. I would say start by adding 10% volume of oil but not to go over 20%— otherwise the texture may become too oily for your liking or the whip will be very unstable.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to do that since it's just sitting in my cupboard doing nothing. As you can see, after whipping it it didn't stay whippy, so I might try emulsifying it. I posted pictures of the cocoa chips so people can use them as a reference. There is no melting on contact with your skin, with those.

Attachments

• LHCF Raw Cocoa Butter.jpg
    LHCF Raw Cocoa Butter.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 11
  • LHCF Whipped Cocoa butter.jpg
    LHCF Whipped Cocoa butter.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 11

curly.123

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to do that since it's just sitting in my cupboard doing nothing. As you can see, after whipping it it didn't stay whippy, so I might try emulsifying it. I posted pictures of the cocoa chips so people can use them as a reference. There is no melting on contact with your skin, with those.
Mine is still whipped ish after 5 days, I think the secret is to put more oils as cocoa butter is a very solid butter

CurlyRy

bae arriving home : Are you baking? it smells like chocolate cake
me : it's my hair :lachen:

So what you're saying is that I'm going to be smelling like some birthday cake?

*adds cocoa butter to shopping list*

I'm sold!:yep:

MzSwift

This was my experience as well. I mixed mine with shea butter to cut that nutty smell and it ended up too hard for me to actually use -- even with oils mixed in. I haven't given up hope though, and this thread is encouraging me to try again.
I'm hoping to make ONE product that I can use from hair to toenail.

Thanks for the tips @kxlot79 ! I think I'm gonna try it with fractionated coconut oil. I've tried EVOO and Grapeseed, both of which are too heavy and also have nutty scents.