coconut oil sold at Wal-mart now

Brownie

I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but I've noticed that Wal-mart sells coconut oil now in the cooking oil section. It's in a white container, and the oil is in solid form. For ingredients, it just says: coconut oil. The label implies that the oil smells like coconut too. I believe the size was around 8oz for about $3. I can't remember exactly, and I haven't tried it yet. Anyway, I've seen it in Wal-mart Supercenters in Florida and Tennessee.

SVT

Thanks for the heads up.

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
<font color="purple">I'm going up there Friday. Yes, please do tell us the name of the coconut oil that you've found so I can hunt it down right away. </font>

patience

Girl, now I gotta go check out the WMT up the street from my house...and I was doing soo well too! So much for not shopping. Thanks for the info

chicamorena

Brownie I am so glad you posted this because I am running out and I was about to buy a couple bottles for about $16. But now I will be rushing to Walmart to get some. So thank you!

deeplyrooted

On June 1st, I'll be at Walmart for this.
Everywhere in my area, it's at least $6 for about the same amount.
Good lookin' out, Brownie!

deeplyrooted

[ QUOTE ]
soulchild said:
Everyone make sure you report back with your results on this coconut oil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will do. Will definitely do.
June 1st to be exact.

kitchen_tician

[ QUOTE ]
lexi_24 said:
For those who have found it in Walmart....is it refined or virgin coconut oil?

[/ QUOTE ]

lexi, it doesn't say refined or virgin. it says 100% natural in a 31.5 oz jar. the number for questions or comments is 1-800-723-3652.

lexi_24

[ QUOTE ]
kitchen_tician said:
[ QUOTE ]
lexi_24 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the number.....what is the name of the company?

lexi, it doesn't say refined or virgin. it says 100% natural in a 31.5 oz jar. the number for questions or comments is 1-800-723-3652.

[/ QUOTE ]

kitchen_tician

[ QUOTE ]
lexi_24 said:
[ QUOTE ]
kitchen_tician said:
[ QUOTE ]
lexi_24 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's lou ana coconut oil distributed by ventura foods in opelousas, LA 800-723-3652
let's us know what u find out.

brickhouse

I saw it a couple of weeks ago in the cooking oil section but did not get any. I did know if it was pure but it did say 100% coconut oil. I may have to get some now.

Crysdon

[ QUOTE ]
Brownie said:
I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but I've noticed that Wal-mart sells coconut oil now in the cooking oil section. It's in a white container, and the oil is in solid form. For ingredients, it just says: coconut oil. The label implies that the oil smells like coconut too. I believe the size was around 8oz for about $3. I can't remember exactly, and I haven't tried it yet. Anyway, I've seen it in Wal-mart Supercenters in Florida and Tennessee.

[/ QUOTE ]

$3.00??? My calculated guess is that it is refined. Refined coconut oil has been bleached and deodorized. Your hair won't benefit from this. I pay about $15 for my unrefined coconut oil. Unrefined coconut oil retains all of its medium-chain fatty acids and other beneficial compounds.

Ladies, please call that number first and ask the representative if it's refined.

lexi_24

[ QUOTE ]
kitchen_tician said:
[ QUOTE ]
lexi_24 said:
[ QUOTE ]
kitchen_tician said:
[ QUOTE ]
lexi_24 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's lou ana coconut oil distributed by ventura foods in opelousas, LA 800-723-3652
let's us know what u find out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I called the toll-free number and got a recording, not a live person. I left a message with my phone number inquiring if this coconut oil is unrefined or refined. If I ever hear back, I will let the board know.

Due to the price, stated on the board for the coconut oil, I agree with Crysdon and think it may be refined coconut oil . The virgin coconut oil that I have seen at health food stores has been about $11-15 depending on the size.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I bought some the other day. I'm pretty sure it's refined because it has no scent. But I prefer refined coconut oil for my body because there is no scent to compete with my other fragrances. And $2.76 for 31.5 oz is perfect!
I was paying 3x that amount for the Spectrum brand refined oil. And the trip to the hfs was a hassle.

Neroli

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
I bought some the other day. I'm pretty sure it's refined because it has no scent. But I prefer refined coconut oil for my body because there is no scent to compete with my other fragrances. And $2.76 for 31.5 oz is perfect!
I was paying 3x that amount for the Spectrum brand refined oil. And the trip to the hfs was a hassle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unrefined, cold-pressed pure virgin 100% coconut oil does not have a scent. TRUE oil of coconut is scentless (it is the milk of coconut that has the lovely scent). As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, the unrefined has been exposed to extreme heat (instead of cold-pressed) and bleached so that the beneficial fatty acids in the oil has been process out right out. The reason the wal-mart brand is cheaper is precisely because its of very very poor quality (almost useless in terms of the healthy fatty acids needed for hair and skin). IMO, Spectrum or other unrefined brands are far superior and worth the extra $$ -- they cost more because the cold-pressed method is more expensive, more time-consuming and uses more coconut per lb of oil produced and is loaded with all the good essential fatty acids.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
[ QUOTE ]
(it is the milk of coconut that has the lovely scent).

[/ QUOTE ]

So that's what makes my Garden of Life and Natures Wild Child brand coconut oils smell so good!
I didn't know that--I thought it was because they were "more pure". Thanks!