coconut oil sold at Wal-mart now

morehairplease

[ QUOTE ]
kitchen_tician said:
Kroger Grocery store has UNREFINED coconut oil in their "natural" food section. It's about $6. I don't recall the size.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks so much! Going today!

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I got the Virgin Oil de Coco-Creme from NWC.

kitchen_tician

[ QUOTE ]
tishee said:
[ QUOTE ]
kitchen_tician said:
Kroger Grocery store has UNREFINED coconut oil in their "natural" food section. It's about $6. I don't recall the size.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks so much! Going today!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're Welcome!

LuvLiLocks

Unrefined, cold-pressed pure virgin 100% coconut oil does not have a scent. TRUE oil of coconut is scentless (it is the milk of coconut that has the lovely scent). As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, the unrefined has been exposed to extreme heat (instead of cold-pressed) and bleached so that the beneficial fatty acids in the oil has been process out right out. The reason the wal-mart brand is cheaper is precisely because its of very very poor quality (almost useless in terms of the healthy fatty acids needed for hair and skin). IMO, Spectrum or other unrefined brands are far superior and worth the extra $$ -- they cost more because the cold-pressed method is more expensive, more time-consuming and uses more coconut per lb of oil produced and is loaded with all the good essential fatty acids.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok so let me see if I get this, If it's not unrefined cold pressed it is not really good quality? Well I don't know how they do the cold press, but I always get my mom to make my coconut oil herself and it is not bleached. She just recently explained the process to me and you do use heat. HOWEVER, the oil that is produced has a very, very, very DISTINCT scent.You couldn't miss it. Now I don't know what kinda process that is, but thats the home made island style, stove top coconut oil. I always thought I was good. Do u know anything about Neroli?

LuvLiLocks

sorry about the post above , i was trying to quote what Neroli said but I messed it up somehow.
So the bottom half is my post.

Neroli

[ QUOTE ]
LuvLiLocks said:
Unrefined, cold-pressed pure virgin 100% coconut oil does not have a scent. TRUE oil of coconut is scentless (it is the milk of coconut that has the lovely scent). As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, the unrefined has been exposed to extreme heat (instead of cold-pressed) and bleached so that the beneficial fatty acids in the oil has been process out right out. The reason the wal-mart brand is cheaper is precisely because its of very very poor quality (almost useless in terms of the healthy fatty acids needed for hair and skin). IMO, Spectrum or other unrefined brands are far superior and worth the extra $$ -- they cost more because the cold-pressed method is more expensive, more time-consuming and uses more coconut per lb of oil produced and is loaded with all the good essential fatty acids.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok so let me see if I get this, If it's not unrefined cold pressed it is not really good quality? Well I don't know how they do the cold press, but I always get my mom to make my coconut oil herself and it is not bleached. She just recently explained the process to me and you do use heat. HOWEVER, the oil that is produced has a very, very, very DISTINCT scent.You couldn't miss it. Now I don't know what kinda process that is, but thats the home made island style, stove top coconut oil. I always thought I was good. Do u know anything about Neroli?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have ANY first-hand knowledge about making coconut oil, I only know my own experience having use refine/unrefine (I acheived superior results with unrefined coconut); also, what I have read about the processes of refined vs unrefined oils. For example, alot of folks on this board use EVOO precisely because the "pure" brand, that is NOT cold pressed is of a lower quality. For a fact, the stuff that would be done home-made, as you describe, even with the heat used from stove top would still be far far superior to anything that a factory would put out. I mean, the factories first separate the stuff, then bleach it than probably add "preservatives" then expose it to levels of heat that the stove top cannot even reach. IMO, the homemade oil you describe would not be in the same category as refined -- refined includes multi-step proceses that strips susbstance of its nutrients.

LuvLiLocks

Ok cool, cause my mom is in the Bahamas now, and I just put in my order for 2 large bottles that can last me about a year. I really love that stuff. I especially love the way it works on my daughters natural hair. It is awesome. I love coconut water, milk, and oil.