College ladies....

delitefulmane

How do you deal with opposition in college when it comes to applying the knowledge you have gained from LHCF? What I mean is for the ladies who relax, stretching relaxers and for the "natchal" ladies basking in your natural crown & glory. I feel as though I will be able to reach my goals much faster when I get out of school because I won't be placed under the microscope so much when I am out of school. When I am in school I want to try so many styles but I don't think I can take all the :nono: looks and stares ( I am natural but I have never really worn a puff. I have always worn it straight). What do you college ladies have to say?

msa

I haven't ever really felt like I've been under the microscope while I've been at school. And I definitely haven't felt like there has been any overt opposition. I think it all depends on how comfortable you are with your hair. I've been natural my whole life but I used to always wear my hair straight or in braids. It's only since I've been in college that I've actually worn my hair in natural styles. For me, I had to get over my personal feelings about natural hair and learn that I'm still beautiful either way. All my friends, black and otherwise, have long straight hair and at first I used to feel awkward because I stood out so much...but I actually love the stares and when people ask me questions about a hairstyle or how I maintain my hair.

I think it's really all about your perception of your hair. It's true that when you are comfortable and confident about your hair, other people respond positively. Believe me, most of the looks are just curiosity from people who wish their hair could do what natural hair does. Once you are confident about your hair, looks or comments from others sill bother you less and less.

danigurl18

Hey darling! I understand your dilemma.. I am currently transitioning and people at my school think im crazy!!! There is either 2 kinds of ppl at my school: either relaxed or natural.. so im just floating around in the middle.. i find it easier to ignore what other people are saying since my friends keep asking me why im co-washing my hair and other things that i learned from LHCF... just stick with the expertise of the ladies on this site and forget what other people are saying.. i can't wait to be natural so i can wear my big puff :grin:... let people stare and talk as you walk away with your long shiny and healthy flowing hair!!! HHG!!

pazyamor

Girl, I'm in a college where image is everything and here's what I think: until you start paying my tuition, then you have no input on what I do with my hair. I mean, college is really the time where we, as young adults, find ourselves and really get a a chance to show who we are. I think if you want to rock a puff, do it!!!! I've rocked it short, half-shaven off, ponytail, bob, mohawk, blonde, streaks, and everything in between...and when people stare most of the time it's because they wish they had to chutzpah to rock it themselves. Be confident in you, and everyone else will...HTH

tinkat

I graduated in Dec but when I was in school, I honestly did not worry about what others thought..hell i just went to class and then when home...lol. I remember when I started to wear weaves during my transition and I got alot of stares bc of I just all or a sudden started to wear weaves out of the blue. But after a while I was like whateva! Don't worry about what other say, I agree msa, its really all about how you view your hair. A few weeks ago I ran into a friend in college who I have not seen in a year and he knew me when I was relax and when I started to wear the weaves. The first thing he said what Tinka got hair! Your hair has grown out so much! That felt so good to be honest, I almost forgot that my hair was actually out bc I am so comfortable with it.

bellebebe

How do you deal with opposition in college when it comes to applying the knowledge you have gained from LHCF? What I mean is for the ladies who relax, stretching relaxers and for the "natchal" ladies basking in your natural crown & glory. I feel as though I will be able to reach my goals much faster when I get out of school because I won't be placed under the microscope so much when I am out of school. When I am in school I want to try so many styles but I don't think I can take all the :nono: looks and stares ( I am natural but I have never really worn a puff. I have always worn it straight). What do you college ladies have to say?

Eesh mamita, I don't want to sound all cliche but I really don't care what other people think:grin:. As long "I" know what "I'm" doing and why, that's all that matters... I'm not gonna put myself down so someone else can feel better. Go ahead and do the damn thing girly!!!!!!!!

delitefulmane

Thanx for the positive comments!! I have started to realize that I care to much about what other people think!! I need to experiment more!!

TaurusAngel

I definitely feel your pain. Going to a private prodominately white school, the few AA's on campus are mainly relaxed, and those that aren't are considered to have weird styles and crazy because they don't know how to put a pressing comb to their heads. I've heard this more than a few times. And its really not even the white girls, they don't care, its from the Sistahs who think that relaxed is right and naturals have no place. Now, I do relax, but i have opted to stretch more now. My friends raise their eyebrows but they haven't said anything to me out the way yet. But coming up on my 7th week, I am prepared for their remarks. :rolleyes: