Coloring Locs..help Please!!

sky_blu

Ok I have a question for someone else about coloring locs for those who dye themselves...

TO color the locs JUST on the ENDS

She has the current supplies

Clairol Professional BW 2 Powder Lightener
Salon Care 20 Lift Creame Developer (4 oz)
MIss Clairol 74G Sunwashed Blonde
Applicator Bottle
Applicator Bowl
Neutralizing Shampoo
Plenty of Gloves

**Is there anything else needed???**
1) How long do I leave the lightener on the ends for?
2) Do I wash after I leave the lightner on?
3) How long do I leave the color on once mixed?

balisi

Sky, I don't know if you still need this info, but here goes: your set up looks fine, except you should have a towel handy, and an applicator brush for the color bowl. A plastic processing cap is a good idea as well, and you may need some foil to isolate the bleached tips during processing. This depends on how long the locks are. Do not mix your color until you are ready to apply it, after lightening. First do a strand test on one lock, preferably in the back or other inconspicuous area. Leave the lightener on until the lock reaches the desired level of lift, which should be pretty high since you are toning with a golden blonde color, I believe. You may need to lift up to yellow. But be careful, because the higher the lift, the greater the potential for damage. Whatever you do, follow the label directions on all the products you are using! You must rinse well all lightener from the hair. I would do a light shampoo before toning with the 74G mixed with the apppropriate amount of developer in an applicator bottle. Apply the color to the pre-lightened areas only and allow to process using a plastic cap if desired. There is no need to isolate the locks being colored at this point. Allow to process per label instructions, rinse until water runs clear, and lightly shampoo followed by a deep conditioner.