CONES,PARABEN,SLS etc. Avoiders- Benefits?

sunbubbles

HEY ppls! I know that many of you guys are purposely avoiding cones, parabens, sls, etc. I would like to know the benefits of your PERSONAL experiences when you began to use more organic products on your hair BESIDES the avoidance of toxins? I.E. the feel of your hair, moisture retention, etc? Also as far as natural skin products go, does anybody have a good suggestion for a facial moisturizer w/o all the bad stuff (i.e. organic) it can even be you own mix!

Im beginning to do a slow overhaul of my hair products because of all the information Ive gained about different ingredients.

ETA: This is NOT a debate about who supports the use of those ingredients or not. Im interested in those who HAVE had benefits with using organic products.

TIA

The biggest benefit I've gained is peace of mind. I stopped using products with parabens, synthetic ingredients, and petrochemical derived ingredients because I felt that they would have a negative effect on my health.

Different people and research will tell you that the ingredients aren't harmful, but I just wasn't willing to take that chance. Especially, with the prevalence of xenoestrogens in products and the increase in cervical/breast cancer in women as well as other things like fibroids.

I find that since I've started using natural products it seems like my skin is able to regulate itself better so that I don't get as dry because it's producing it's own natural oils more. The same goes for my hair. Using natural ingredients, my hair stays more moisturized. I can use only water for a few days and my hair will be just fine.

I find that oils are good facial moisturizers, particularly olive and coconut. I like coconut better for my face because it's lighter. But, I also put sunscreen on top of it in the morning.

eta: I don't avoid cones & sls because of internal health...I avoid them because they don't contribute to my hair's health.

Last edited:
I used to be die-hard about not using conditioners with cones, but, I have to admit, I had more tangles and breakage. I then discovered that if I clarify my hair once a month or so I won't have buildup problems. As for SLS, I pretty much keep away. It's too stripping for my hair, period. Besides, there's so many alternatives SLS are really unnecessary.

My hair generally doesn't like cones so that wasn't much of a decision to drop them. I also prefer to use cones because shampoo strips my hair something awful and it takes so long for me to get the moisture back. So I have stopped pooing all together except when necessary (like if I just can't resist trying some cone product and need to get it out). I do make an effort to use more natural products but I still use "bad" ingredients sometimes. The best part about natural products for me is that most of them seriously multitask. I use baking soda to brush my teeth, scrub my face, clarify my hair, and to clean my drains. I don't buy lotion anymore because I can use my butters or oils for moisture on my body. Natural products have simplified my life.

HEY ppls! I know that many of you guys are purposely avoiding cones, parabens, sls, etc. I would like to know the benefits of your PERSONAL experiences when you began to use more organic products on your hair BESIDES the avoidance of toxins? I.E. the feel of your hair, moisture retention, etc? Also as far as natural skin products go, does anybody have a good suggestion for a facial moisturizer w/o all the bad stuff (i.e. organic) it can even be you own mix!

Im beginning to do a slow overhaul of my hair products because of all the information Ive gained about different ingredients.

ETA: This is NOT a debate about who supports the use of those ingredients or not. Im interested in those who HAVE had benefits with using organic products.

TIA

Thanks for stating the bolded. I amreally leary about making any statements about this for fear of some sort of uprising....:mob: :hide:
:rolleyes:

Now - that I have said my peace..........

When I stopped using 99% of commercial products, my hair changed.... I mean really.

I have been pretty much "commercial free" for about 3 and half years.

Now - I must say that it takes a little time for your hair to 'detox' - in other words - it takes a couple of weeks for your hair to get it....

I use organic/ homemade products because I can control what goodies/ essential butters and oils that help my hair.

It has been a wonderful journey. Natural oils and butters, Aloe and other foods have given my hair suppleness, moisture and sheen/shine.
It would not happen at all with commerical stuff - not without lots and lots of products to "cover" problems.

when I stopped using Shampoos... Life changed. My hair stopped feeling stripped, and stopped being chewed off - imo!

Honestly - I felt like shampoo was detremental to MY hair. SLS - is bad for my strands - and all of thier derivatives, no matter what the bottle says.... I make my own poo now.

Commerical conditioners - in some respects did not provide the moisture/ detangling I needed for my hair.

When I finally found my beloved ORS..... I found that DMDM Hydatonin was a chemical that I did not want to be exposed to.

now - I am almost 100% commercial free. I makemy own DC / moisture conditioner - with out preservatives. If I use preservative.... I make a little more for my mom/ family ( and I control the amount of Preservatives....Beauty companies have OUTRAGEOUS amounts included for 3 year shelf life/liability)

Styling products seemed to be a. too greasy:barf: b. too drying.
So - I make my most of my own styling/ moisture spritzes. I have no need for the stuff in the BSS.

OILS - I have been petroleum free - For a very long time. I have used jojoba, olive oil - for at least 10 years.

I shop at the markets, and herb stores for all of my hair needs.

My Bottom LINE....

Read labels. No matter what marketers try to promise.... it is important to know what is in the product you use.
:yep::yep:

Last edited:
The biggest benefit I've gained is peace of mind. I stopped using products with parabens, synthetic ingredients, and petrochemical derived ingredients because I felt that they would have a negative effect on my health.

Different people and research will tell you that the ingredients aren't harmful, but I just wasn't willing to take that chance. Especially, with the prevalence of xenoestrogens in products and the increase in cervical/breast cancer in women as well as other things like fibroids.

I find that since I've started using natural products it seems like my skin is able to regulate itself better so that I don't get as dry because it's producing it's own natural oils more. The same goes for my hair. Using natural ingredients, my hair stays more moisturized. I can use only water for a few days and my hair will be just fine.

I find that oils are good facial moisturizers, particularly olive and coconut. I like coconut better for my face because it's lighter. But, I also put sunscreen on top of it in the morning.

eta: I don't avoid cones & sls because of internal health...I avoid them because they don't contribute to my hair's health.

Although I don't have any major health issues - I don't want any........so I would agree with much of what MSA says here.:yep:

I stopped using cones about 6-7 months ago, and I simply enjoy the cone-free products better. My hair no longer has that coated, sticky feeling that I got from piling cone-laden products on top of each other. I think going cone-free has improved my hair's ability to absorb and retain moisture, because I now only have to use one moisturizing product at a time.

(I am no longer totally cone free with my hair care--I recently decided to try a Redken deep conditioner that contains them--but I refuse to use them on a daily or weekly basis, or in everyday leave-in products.)

As far as parabens, I would like to cut them out all together, but my favorite brand (Lush) uses them. About 75% of my non-Lush products are paraben-free, though, so I'm working on it.

As far as skin care, I'm using the Carol's Daughter Essential Serum, and I LOVE it. It's just some jojoba mixed with essential oils, and it's fab.

You can save ALOT of money. There aren't many paraben-free products on the market.

I choose to go paraben-free and then low paraben (I know...) because I deliberately wanted to avoid using something that could possibly harm me. I was strict paraben-free while I had a TWA (a little over a year). But once my hair started to grow longer, I began having more difficulty retaining moisture. I began cowashing more frequently. At that time, I only used Aubrey Organics conditioners, but, for me, they make terrible cowashing conditioners (no slip). After a long period of contemplation (about two to three months), I decided to try Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner (it contains two parabens). I've been using it to cowash ever since. I still use AO conditioners to deep condition.

Last edited:
For those of you that stopped using commercial products, how did you figure out what to use in your hair? For me if I need moisture I look for a product that says moisture on the label same for protein. I use oils but I wouldn't know where to start with everything else.

For those of you that stopped using commercial products, how did you figure out what to use in your hair? For me if I need moisture I look for a product that says moisture on the label same for protein. I use oils but I wouldn't know where to start with everything else.

Well I learned by doing lots and lots of research. It's most important to figure out why something works, not just that it works.

Moisture:
water
coconut oil
olive oil
honey
glycerine
aloe vera (some people also consider this protein as well)
caramel treatment (there's a long thread about it here called "yum caramel")

protein:
eggs
mayo
yogurt
molasses (not actually a protein, but they act like one)
coconut milk (mild, but very moisturizing as well)
cherry lola treatment (I would classify this as a protein treatment, but just google cherry lola and her blog will come up)

other helpful ingredients:
castor oil (great protection)
wheat germ oil (for the ceramides)
bananas
avocados
baking soda (to wash)
castile soap (to wash)

here are some blogs to check out:
thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com (she's reviewed a lot of natural products)
blackgirllonghair.blogspot.com (she's also reviewed a lot of natural products)
the beauty brains (I can't remember the exact url)...they have extensive articles on lots of natural ingredients

I hope this helps you get started on your research!

Thats what IM talking bout! Im all about the ECONOMICAL.Too broke to be choosy:lachen:
The best part about natural products for me is that most of them seriously multitask. I use baking soda to brush my teeth, scrub my face, clarify my hair, and to clean my drains. I don't buy lotion anymore because I can use my butters or oils for moisture on my body. Natural products have simplified my life.

Thats exactly what I was thinkin. I mean there is no guarantee of ANYTHING in life, anybody can and probably still WILL get sick in life. BUT why not cut out the unnecessary stress. It doesnt make sense to me to at least try and IMPROVE your actions once you are informed of a situation. That said, I cant promise Ill be able to go 100% toxin free, but definitely a LARGE improvement is in store. Ppl be lookin at me like Im crazy when I start on my Soap-box about health consciuos decisions, cause they think its ALL about the hair (dont get me wrong that is a part of it:lachen:) but its about our bodies too.
Although I don't have any major health issues - I don't want any........so I would agree with much of what MSA says here.:yep:

Thank you soooooooooo much for this post! Off to do more research!
Well I learned by doing lots and lots of research. It's most important to figure out why something works, not just that it works.

Moisture:
water
coconut oil
olive oil
honey
glycerine
aloe vera (some people also consider this protein as well)
caramel treatment (there's a long thread about it here called "yum caramel")

protein:
eggs
mayo
yogurt
molasses (not actually a protein, but they act like one)
coconut milk (mild, but very moisturizing as well)
cherry lola treatment (I would classify this as a protein treatment, but just google cherry lola and her blog will come up)

other helpful ingredients:
castor oil (great protection)
wheat germ oil (for the ceramides)
bananas
avocados
baking soda (to wash)
castile soap (to wash)

here are some blogs to check out:
thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com (she's reviewed a lot of natural products)
blackgirllonghair.blogspot.com (she's also reviewed a lot of natural products)
the beauty brains (I can't remember the exact url)...they have extensive articles on lots of natural ingredients

I hope this helps you get started on your research!

I'm working on completely eliminating parabens... I'm almost there, just using up the products. Right now Nexxuss Humectress is a beloved product of mine that has parabens but I am learning to live without it thanks to Giovanni Direct Leave In, I have a bottle and a quarter left of this. I also found out that Lustrasilk cholestrol has parabens and I just bought that to try out twistouts/braidouts :-(

SLS - I think I can do without asap. I already own a bottle of castille soap but I am working on using up my shampoos (which I don't even use often anymore)... I think I'll soon move on from them and maybe use them to wash my combs, bath, sink, etc... at least I know I won't be wasting them. I'll try the castille soap diulted with oils and water soon..

Cones - I think my Herbal Essences cowash cons are the only things that have cones in them right now that I still want to keep in my products stash.

Thanks for this post OP and thanks for the responses ladies.

Last edited:
In the past 3 weeks I've got rid of most of the products I owned with cones. My daily moisturiser has 1 paraben and my conditioner has parabens in them right at the bottom of the ingedients list. I think the cones had more of an effect than the parabens but until I eliminate those also I wont know..

My hair stays moisturised longer and doesn't have a sticky tacky feeling, my curls are better defined now too

my avatar shows my hair not long after bcing and still using my old products.. this pic shows my hair after eliminating cones.. I think it attached anyways - if not check my fotki:perplexed

Attachments

• P1030617.JPG
    P1030617.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 8
Thanks for posting that information msa. I've tried the caramel treatment, baking soda, honey, coconut milk, and most recently the cherry lola treatment. I didn't like any of them. I think I didn't like the cherry lola because the yogurt was dripping everywhere and my hair doesn't like baking soda. I think if I try it again I will eliminate the baking soda and use mayo or sour cream. I hope it still works. Products with glycerin usually dry my hair out so I try to avoid glycerin. I have a ton of products to use up but I will do some research and try to add some homemade products into the mix. Hopefully I can find some recipes without those ingredients.

Thanks for posting that information msa. I've tried the caramel treatment, baking soda, honey, coconut milk, and most recently the cherry lola treatment. I didn't like any of them. I think I didn't like the cherry lola because the yogurt was dripping everywhere and my hair doesn't like baking soda. I think if I try it again I will eliminate the baking soda and use mayo or sour cream. I hope it still works. Products with glycerin usually dry my hair out so I try to avoid glycerin. I have a ton of products to use up but I will do some research and try to add some homemade products into the mix. Hopefully I can find some recipes without those ingredients.

I'm glad you've tried all of that. Everything doesn't work for everyone so there's nothing wrong with that. I think you should try to figure out why those things didn't work for you. And, remember it takes some time for your hair (and your mentality) to make the transition to all natural products.

I keep it super simple for my hair. Right now I only use water and castor oil. I haven't used baking soda to wash in a few weeks, but I rinse my hair everyday. I may be adding a conditioner back in soon (Oyin Honey Hemp conditioner) because I need something for my out styles, but it's completely natural thank goodness.

I think you can find a way to make it work for you but it'll probably take some experimentation.

Back