Conquering Weave Itchies!

LadyPaniolo

I had to remove my sew-in after only 2 weeks. The itchiness was killing me! :spinning: I hated walking around pounding my head like a dog scratching his ears with his hind leg, just delirious with itchiness. :spinning:

It's not that I failed to wash. Withing that 2 weeks (actually it was a little less than that) I washed 3x. I applied some light moisturizer underneath the tracks. So it wasn't dirty hair that caused the itchiness... and it wasn't dryness...

I think weaves may just naturally be itchy? :ohwell:

How can you successfully combat the weave itchies :armyhat:? It would be nice to have a sew-in... but only if the evil itchiness can be defeated.

JustKiya

Did you wash the hair before getting it sew-in?? I've heard several ladies say that the hair is coated with something, and that coating is what is irritating your scalp. I almost wanna say they were talking about a very dilute ACV solution, but I'm not sure, so don't go dipping your hair in any! :lol:

LadyPaniolo

D'oh!

I can't believe I didn't think to do this! When I did C&G braids I used to wash the Kanekalon in a baby bathtub filled with water with 1 cup of vinegar added. When I didn't do this I'd be scratching like crazy.

For some reason it didn't occur to me that weave hair would need the same thing... :imstupid:

JustKiya

Cool! Okay, *filing that away* it is a super dilute ACV solution - can you reuse the hair, at least?

LadyPaniolo

Yep, I could reuse the hair... the install I just took down was 100% human hair (probably why it didn't occur to me to give it an acid bath) which I know some people don't reuse... but if I'm going to drop $45+ tax on some hair, and it only gets used for 2 weeks... yeah, it's getting reused! Shoot...

I wonder if the fact that the hair was not fully folded contributed to the itchiness.

I have some Outre Batik hair that is fully folded, aka "beardless" and it was less itchy, but not by much... I didn't do the acid bath on that hair either...

mc101

also check the beards of the weave (the beards are the little hairs that stick up along the tracks) often this is what is really causing yr scalp to itch. some ladies simply cut them off. i think u did the smart thing by simply taking it out-- this is the best thing to do when you have exhausted all other remedies b/c there is nothing worse than scalp that itches. for the future i would not purchase that brand of hair

Me2

Weaves and braids have always been itchy to me. I wash, condition, and dry the hair. After installing I oil my scalp with Parnevu Tea Tree Oil. It stops the itchies.

wannabelong

Try putting some witch hazel on your scalp. I rubbed my scalp with a q-tip dipped in witch hazel. It worked!