Controlling Frizz

northernbelle

I need some recommendations re: products to control frizz, especially on my ends.

I alternate between a protein and a moisturizing deep conditioning treatment on a weekly basis. However, I really don't use a leave-in of any kind, unless the Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum can be considered a leave-in. For my last wash, I used the Pantene Pro-V Relaxed and Natural Wrap and Set Spray instead of the Super Skinny. It is supposed to control frizz, but did not control mine effectively.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations!
northernbelle

inthepink

Have you always had frizzy ends? Are you relaxed or natural? Do you maybe need a trim? Even if you don't have split ends, your ends could still be damaged causing the frizz. Are you ever able to style your hair without frizzy ends? Just trying to uncover the reason for the frizz.

northernbelle

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Have you always had frizzy ends? Are you relaxed or natural? Do you maybe need a trim? Even if you don't have split ends, your ends could still be damaged causing the frizz. Are you ever able to style your hair without frizzy ends? Just trying to uncover the reason for the frizz.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi, Hairlove:

Thanks for your inquiries. Perhaps I did not provide enough info.

I am relaxed. I think that the frizz is caused primarily from humidity, too hot water from the shower, etc. I received a trim with my last relaxer, which was about three weeks ago. I am able to style my ends without the frizz. It's just sometimes my ends get a bit frizzy, depending on the climate.

From what I have been reading re: frizzy hair, it is due to a lack of moisture in the hair, and relaxed hair is especially suseptible. I have been applying ORS Carrot Oil to my ends each night, and it actually helps to minimize the frizz. However, I think that I might need to apply something following washing and conditioning my hair.

northernbelle

Falon

Maybe you need a moisturizing leave in to go with the oil...like the silk touch cream from the Neutrogena Triple Moisture line.

inthepink

Northern Belle, perhaps the ORS Carrot Oil could be causing the frizzy ends? I know my hair doesn't like water based products like this one and it seemed to lead to frizz. May try dabbing your hair with water and then an oil instead of the ORS Carrot Oil.

And I agree that after you apply your leave-in, then apply an oil.

northernbelle

Thank you, again, Hairlove.

I plan to purchase some oil this weekend, as a matter of fact. So, along with the leave-in, I should be in good shape.

northernbelle

Leslie_C

northernbelle, I live in FL so I feel your pain! Ive found that when my ends are sealed, they dont frizz! I had my hair straight ALL WEEK from when I got my touch up and they flat ironed it. Ive had no frizz at all and Im loving it!

Of course I wont be using heat much on my own hair so another alternative I plan to try is the ends sealing method from growafrohairlong's site where u use a light oil on wet ends, then put tin foil over them and seal them with a curling iron or flat iron for a few seconds. Others here have had success with this method, Im planning to try it soon.

Also rollersets tend to keep the ends sealed for me. And when I do braidouts, if I make a point to put something on the ends, they usually dont frizz much either. Now bantu knots are a different story, I looked cute when I left the house but by the time I got to work I looked like Chaka Khan!