Cornrows with a relaxer

My sister just scared the hell out of me...she told me my hair is going to fall out from cornrowing it. I just started wearing wigs as a protective style and I choose to cornrow my hair underneath.

Is there anyone that has experienced unpleasant results from cornrowing (w/o extensions) their relaxed hair??

Last edited:

addaboutmyhair

That's ridiculous. Your hair will not fall out from cornrows. Just make sure their not too tight. Wash it regularly and keep it moisturized. Oh, and wear like a silk cap or something protective under your wigs. You can search wig threads.

soulie

The biggest issues I have heard of have been when taking out the braids. As was already said, keep your hair moisturized, and you should be fine.

newflowers

The best advice ever about wearing braids - treat your braided hair with the same care as you do when you hair is not braided - washing, conditioning, mositurizing - it's great advice (thanks sereca).

jerseygurl

Not a new member
That's very funny. Your hair won't fall out. Take care of your hair like you would when not in cornrows.

Liege4421

And make sure you detangle before you wash when you take them down...this is especially true if you leave them in for three weeks or longer and your hair starts to "grow out." If you don't detangle first and you have a lot of new growth, your hair could get matted and it WILL be very difficult to comb it out. Whatever you do, ensure you are very gentle.

MummysGirl

In additiont to the above useful comments,

Make sure you don't do them too tight because that will cause tension especially along your hairline.