Corrective Help Thread!

Raine054

Hey Ladies,

I wanted to start this thread to ask for advice as well as create another resource of advice for the relaxed ladies with underprocessed hair who are planning to/have done a corrective!

My Story:

I just ended a 6 month stretch on May 1st. I was so excited because I finally hit full WL!

When I dried my hair, I saw that all 4.5 inches of my new growth exhibited various degrees of underprocessed-ness. Some of it is wavy and some of it seems untouched by the relaxer. I used Vitale Olive Oil Super and I based with Summit Base Cream. I am wondering if it was caused by the base cream as I usually only use oil to base and I feel I was a bit heavy handed in the base cream. It was also my first time relaxing myself and the nearest stylist is 1.5 hours away!

Now its breaking off at the line of demarcation and simple grooming is becoming a task.

I want to do a corrective and am wondering if I should do it myself....sans base cream?

What are some good tips?

How were your experiences?

What should I avoid/do before corrective?

Do you usually do it yourselves or go to a stylist?

I need help!

This is the hair I lost during grooming today!

Attachments

• breakage.jpg
    breakage.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 71

Minty

For correctives: Its best to wait atleast 4 weeks

**Start with giving yourself a heavy protein reconstructor (many ladies really recommend Dudley's) I like Aloxxi Polymedic by Nexxus, and follow with a heavy moisturizing DC

**Try not to manipulate the hair

***Try to keep the areas of breakage well conditioned (on wet hair, I use Redken Anti-Snap, and a spray leave-in, and a touch of coconut oil) on dry hair, I spritz the leave-in and use Elasta QP Mango butter.

I have a feeling if you based very heavy along each part that the processing time was slowed. Combine that with your lack smoothing, etc. and that is the cause of the problem.

You can redo it yourself, but perhaps you should try the half/half method until you become more experienced and are able to get a better feel for your hair while its processing.

Raine054

Thank you very much. I don't think I will be using the base cream again. I did smooth but maybe not enough (my arms were tired)

B U M P I N G !!!!

This is the reason why I have decided to no longer stretch for 6 months. I constantly have issues with underprocessing. Once it was so bad I had to do a corrective. I waited six weeks making sure to do a protein treatment weekly (aphogee 2 min) before the corrective. I also protected the hair that I did not want to process with chi silk infusion. I kept it on for several minutes and I didn't have any problems.

hillytmj

I agree that correctives can be necessary. I've had one before, but I agree with you ladies that it's best to do it sooner. I did it a year later and although the underprocessed hair was smoother, it still wasn't the exact same texture throughout.

Underprocessed hair has been the biggest setback in my long hair journey. It's not so much of a problem throughout the hair, but once it reach the ends, you really have no choice but to trim it off.

Raine054

This is the reason why I have decided to no longer stretch for 6 months. I constantly have issues with underprocessing. Once it was so bad I had to do a corrective. I waited six weeks making sure to do a protein treatment weekly (aphogee 2 min) before the corrective. I also protected the hair that I did not want to process with chi silk infusion. I kept it on for several minutes and I didn't have any problems.

I agree. I'm not sure I can do 6 months again. I will be sure to get some CHI. Thanks again!

I just hair the way my hair is right now.

WaistLengthDreams

For correctives: Its best to wait atleast 4 weeks

**Start with giving yourself a heavy protein reconstructor (many ladies really recommend Dudley's) I like Aloxxi Polymedic by Nexxus, and follow with a heavy moisturizing DC

**Try not to manipulate the hair

***Try to keep the areas of breakage well conditioned (on wet hair, I use Redken Anti-Snap, and a spray leave-in, and a touch of coconut oil) on dry hair, I spritz the leave-in and use Elasta QP Mango butter.

I have a feeling if you based very heavy along each part that the processing time was slowed. Combine that with your lack smoothing, etc. and that is the cause of the problem.

You can redo it yourself, but perhaps you should try the half/half method until you become more experienced and are able to get a better feel for your hair while its processing.

This is some great advice, HijabiFlygirl!! BUMP

shunta

Well what do you know? I just had a corrective relaxer done today with my new stylist. I had some underprocessed parts of my hair from a former stylist I was going to some time ago. These are the steps that my new stylist did today for the corrective:

- She sprayed my entire hair with a spray containing proteins and the spray also doubled as a barrier
- she based my scalp and hair really well
- she used a gentle relaxer (Elucence Gentle Conditioning Lye)
- after she applied the relaxer to my new growth, she applied the remainder to the rest of my hair all the way down the hair shaft for the last few minutes
- rinsed well and neutralized, then added a reconstructor

Now my hair feels like pure silk, and I'm able to wet comb without having tangles throughout. I'm a happy camper now. :)

MzShouldaLength

Well what do you know? I just had a corrective relaxer done today with my new stylist. I had some underprocessed parts of my hair from a former stylist I was going to some time ago. These are the steps that my new stylist did today for the corrective:

- She sprayed my entire hair with a spray containing proteins and the spray also doubled as a barrier
- she based my scalp and hair really well
- she used a gentle relaxer (Elucence Gentle Conditioning Lye)
- after she applied the relaxer to my new growth, she applied the remainder to the rest of my hair all the way down the hair shaft for the last few minutes
- rinsed well and neutralized, then added a reconstructor

Now my hair feels like pure silk, and I'm able to wet comb without having tangles throughout. I'm a happy camper now. :)

I've never had a corrective, but I just had to say that your hair is gorgeous! :lovedrool:. Lol. That is all.

bimtheduck

So glad I came across this thread! Okay so I got a touch up last friday and I just noticed tonight my entire head is underprocessed. I don't like my hair to be relaxed bone straight but this VERY wavy. She basically applied the relaxer and then proceeded to rinse and neutralize. She didn't smooth. I thought it was a shorter processing time than usual while she was washing my hair but it looked good when she was done that I just shrugged it off.

Finally my questions...
1.) Do stylists usually charge full price for a corrective when they were the ones who didn't do it right the first time? I'd really hate to pay another 80 bucks.

2.) Should I call her and have her fix it next week or should I wait until I'm due for another touch up in 12 wks?

3.) Is this fairly common? I'm wondering if I should find another stylist. I know there have to be 100s of talented and experieced stylistys in the Houston area, I'd just have to find one.

taj

The ladies offer great advice for under processed hair and corrective relaxers. I share the same experience as Shunta!

Last edited:

taj

Finally my questions...
1.) Do stylists usually charge full price for a corrective when they were the ones who didn't do it right the first time? I'd really hate to pay another 80 bucks. This may vary depending on the salon and/or stylist. Did you address your stylist with this issue within a timely manner? Hopefully, she’ll acknowledge it and charge you half price or nothing at all!:grin: I paid full price but, I did not go back to the original stylist who caused the under processing.

2.) Should I call her and have her fix it next week or should I wait until I'm due for another touch up in 12 wks? You'll have to wait at least a minimum of 6 weeks for a corrective relaxer.:yep: 1 week after the original relax date is too soon and will cause over processing, which will result in damage.

3.) Is this fairly common? I'm wondering if I should find another stylist. I know there have to be 100s of talented and experienced stylists in the Houston area, I'd just have to find one.[/QUOTE] I'm unsure of how often others may experience this but, I have heard of it occurring. It can happen with any stylist/client. It may also be the result of something that we've done or applied to our hair prior to chemical services.
Searching for a good stylist that specializes in hair care is usually found on a trial and error basis. Therefore, if you’re satisfied with their overall service then you may want to reconsider staying. Having a back up stylist is also an advantage. I've experienced this once with my stylist of 6 years. It was my personal choice not to go back due to that occurrence, as well as other underlying circumstances.

kandegirl

I've done one before. May have to do one again. But I did Aphogee protient treatments a few weeks before to build up my hair. And before the relaxer I believe I put Chi Silk Infusion serum on my underprocessed parts then I put on some relaxer for a few minutes. It helped straigten out the kinks a lil.

bimtheduck

Ok I spoke to my stylist and she recommended that I wait at least 3-4 more weeks before I come in for a corrective. So I will def going in then. I hope it turns out well. This time I will NOT be applying Hawaiian silky to my new growth. Ill just run coconut oil through my length and my temples.

blackberry815

Ok I spoke to my stylist and she recommended that I wait at least 3-4 more weeks before I come in for a corrective. So I will def going in then. I hope it turns out well. This time I will NOT be applying Hawaiian silky to my new growth. Ill just run coconut oil through my length and my temples.

how did the corrective come out?

MrsHdrLe

THIS is what landed me back in the salon seat and caused my bsl/sl set back. I tried to do-it-myself, but underprocesses and completely missed parts of my hair. It took me 9 months to figure out what was really going on, by then I had sever breakage on one side.
How do you KNOW you're getting all of your new growth when self applying?

cia_garces

THIS is what landed me back in the salon seat and caused my bsl/sl set back. I tried to do-it-myself, but underprocesses and completely missed parts of my hair. It took me 9 months to figure out what was really going on, by then I had sever breakage on one side.
How do you KNOW you're getting all of your new growth when self applying?

Yep, me too. I had a co-worker do my relaxer and I think b/c I told her I was tender-headed and burned easily, she underprocessed the back. I couldn't tell until I shampooed my hair about a week later. Even the lady I had do my trim asked me if I was going natural! LOL All I could say was, "Nope. Just a bad relaxer." :lachen: That relaxer was a month ago, but I think I want to wait another month (for my corrective) just to be on the safe side. I'm tryin' to be as careful as possible 'cause I really don't want any setbacks, especially now that I've got everything together. :nono: