"corrective Relaxer" But With A Different Brand And Strength.

Karrueche

MOMMA LOC.
Okay, I'm back again with the relaxed hair nonsense. After growing out my relaxed hair from two summers ago, I eventually big chopped again. Last month, I had enough and self-relaxed spontaneously. And I think I did a decent job this go around. But there's a bit of an issue. I relaxed using the Hawaiian Silky No-Lye relaxer in the strength mild. Now I did the mild because although my hair is thick, I was scared about not doing something right in the application process and it fried my hair. And I wasn't going for to the scalp, bone straight realness either. I figured if I did make a mistake it shouldn't be too bad because the strength is so low.

I relaxed my hair in 4 sections and I started at the shaft of my hair for each section, versus the ends like I used to. I didn't start to burn or anything until I got to the roots of course. As soon as the relaxer met my scalp, it was burn city. I had to move quickly but while doing that, I don't think I was smoothing all that well and I was panicking. So after I rinsed out the relaxer everything seemed perfect. Time passed and after about 2 or 3 washes, I saw that my roots were EXTREMELY puffy. The roots are more texlaxed while the shafts and ends are relaxed. I seriously want to correct this the next time I relax which will more than likely be April-ish.

My issue is I want to use a different brand of relaxer and of course a higher strength. Is this advisable? And if so, please recommend some brands and tell me your experiences. I never liked changing brands when it came to relaxers because it literally freaks me out. I love the HS and it was the perm my mom used on me when I was a kid but I've heard HS is known to under-process hair regardless of strength majority of the time.

MzSwift

Roots only? I have done that with no issues. Just don't start bringing it down further into the areas that are already fully straightened. As long as you stay up on your protein-moisture balance via DCs and txs, you will be fine.

I switched between Motions mild and regular strength until I settled on mild. Like you, I don't like to change relaxers. I tried to use a different relaxer in Jan 2018, IDEAL mild, and found that I didn't like it for me. It processed way too fast and I texlax.

Anyway, you got this. Stay up on your DCs (make SURE that they're actually moisture DCs, Lol) and throw in some protein txs at least monthly and you'll be just fine. GL! :)

ETA: Oh, and BASE YOUR SCALP, GIRL!!! Right before you relax, apply Vaseline to your scalp as if you're "greasing" it. That petroleum barrier should help keep burns at bay. If you think you've burned your scalp, an ACV rinse should help heal those.

Last edited:

Karrueche

MOMMA LOC.
Roots only? I have done that with no issues. Just don't start bringing it down further into the areas that are already fully straightened. As long as you stay up on your protein-moisture balance via DCs and txs, you will be fine.

I switched between Motions mild and regular strength until I settled on mild. Like you, I don't like to change relaxers. I tried to use a different relaxer in Jan 2018, IDEAL mild, and found that I didn't like it for me. It processed way too fast and I texlax.

Anyway, you got this. Stay up on your DCs (make SURE that they're actually moisture DCs, Lol) and throw in some protein txs at least monthly and you'll be just fine. GL! :)

ETA: Oh, and BASE YOUR SCALP, GIRL!!! Right before you relax, apply Vaseline to your scalp as if you're "greasing" it. That petroleum barrier should help keep burns at bay. If you think you've burned your scalp, an ACV rinse should help heal those.

The crazy part is I did put vaseline on my scalp. Around my hairline, ears, in between parts for each section, everything.

And as far as the protein goes, don’t yell at me but I have YET to do a protein treatment. I have the Aphogee two-step and it worked wonders for my natural hair. I’m just nervous about it being too strong for my relaxed hair now. I did use something called ORS Hair Mayo I think a week after relaxing but does that count as a protein treatment? Nonetheless, I definitely need one because I have noticed some breakage recently but I’m so scared.

MzSwift

LOL! OK maybe you've gotta make that Vaseline layer a little thicker. Don't be frugal with it, Lol. Better to have it thick than to have chemical burns.

If the 2-step was fine on your natural hair then it should definitely be fine on your relaxed hair. Relaxed hair tends to need more protein than natural hair bc the relaxing process breaks the protein bonds in the hair. So I don't think it would hurt to try it. And lots of ladies use the hair mayo for protein. I'm not sure if it's stronger than the 2-step though. You could do a protein tx biweekly and just alternate the two.

Also, a lot of us throw in a protein tx right after we rinse off the relaxer (mid-step) or after we finish with the neutralizing shampoo. That way we can add protein back into the hair right after the relaxer process.

But, honestly, sis it sounds like your hair is thriving with whatever you're doing. I'm a firm believer in if it ain't broke don't try to fix it. Just do an extra protein during your relaxer process to help the double processed hair and I think you'll be fine. GL to you! :)