Could my phony pony be breaking my hair?

Nixx22jam

I am wet bunning at the moment and I combed my hair out to wash it and I've noticed broken hairs. These hairs are long with no bulb on the end and I didnt have much breakage before.I wrap my pony tail on as it is weaving hair with a weft but i think it might be rubbing on my hair and breaking it off. I was unsure so I started pulling the hair out of the pony tail to have a look at it but I cant even tell the difference. I dont catch my hair up tight and I try not to rub the weft on my hair but could it be cutting into my strands?

I am trying to recover from a protein over load and I thought wet bunning might be the way but my puff isnt big enough to go it on its own. Has any one else experienced this?

BostonMaria

I am wet bunning at the moment and I combed my hair out to wash it and I've noticed broken hairs. These hairs are long with no bulb on the end and I didnt have much breakage before.I wrap my pony tail on as it is weaving hair with a weft but i think it might be rubbing on my hair and breaking it off. I was unsure so I started pulling the hair out of the pony tail to have a look at it but I cant even tell the difference. I dont catch my hair up tight and I try not to rub the weft on my hair but could it be cutting into my strands?

I am trying to recover from a protein over load and I thought wet bunning might be the way but my puff isnt big enough to go it on its own. Has any one else experienced this?

I've never experienced it myself, but it sounds to me like protein overload. Try giving the phony pony a rest for a week or two and see if that makes a difference.

Sade'

I wrap a weft around my bun everyday and have not experienced any breaking. My hair is flourishing. I keep my hair and the weft completely moisturized daily. Are u moisturizing and sealing?

MzPrince

When I use a phony pony I always cover my loose hair with a stocking cap. Something to protect it from the inside of the phony pony.

Sade'

My hair is always still damp and moisturized when I take it down. Do you experience this Nixx22jam?

Nixx22jam

My hair is always still damp and moisturized when I take it down. Do you experience this Nixx22jam?
NOPE the middle may be damp but the ends are sooooooooo dry Im still trying to re dress the balance. I have covered th ends of my bun with saran wrap and after i took my bun down for a little it was sooo dry and hard to detangle. It didnt occur to me to soak the ends of the weft in oil.

I co-washed my hair the other day with herbal essences HE then applied my shea butter mixture and some coconut oil bunned and went. yesterday I put in my juice mixture and it is still dry I dont kno what im doing wrong. The other day I dc with dpr 11 and my hair still felt dry I dont think the dpr is working for me but i know the cholesterol definately does. So im gonna go home and try that and some skala chocolate and see if that works.

Nixx22jam

I've never experienced it myself, but it sounds to me like protein overload. Try giving the phony pony a rest for a week or two and see if that makes a difference.
I only started wet bunning on saturday so the bun is not the problem I absolutely agree with the protein over loead theory. I mite have to DC the whole weekend. Im going to try honey and evoo coconut oil and some cholesterol. I want to use skala chocolate masque but I dont know if it has protein in it.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
OP,
-How do you know when you have protein overload?
And the opposite of that:
-How do you know wheh you have moisture overload?

thx

Nixx22jam

Well i knew i had a protein overload when i washed my hair and my hair didnt even feel wet AT ALL. Then went to blow dry it andit had chunks every where. Granted I had just been lurking on lhcf didnt know nuttn bout nuttn and jumped in with yoghurt and avocado dc's 3 times in 2 weeks. SMH. Anyway the best explanation I have found is during a wet assesment ... so in the shower.. if you stretch you strand and it snaps before it is fully stretched. (Protein overload) If you stretch your strand and it stetches stretches streches then snaps (moisture over load). Or if your hair is really soft and limp moisture over load. Im sure the other ladies would give you a better explanation. HTH anyway

Last edited:

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
Are you sure it's not the weft hair you're seeing? I know sometimes I'll pull out a really long strand from my hair and almost have a heart attack before I realize it's a piece from the track.

Also, I believe that I lose more hair when it's wet than when it's dry. I can comb my dry hair with my fingers and not get a single hair in them. Then right after that I'll put in a wet moisturizer and comb with my fingers the same way but I'll have at least 6 broken hairs on my fingers. I don't understand it but that's just what happens to me.

Nixx22jam

I thought so but i tried to pull a hair from the weave and i cdnt even tell the difference so i still dont kno

NaturalBoss

OP, I think HE HH is a good moisturizer, but IMO shea butter doesn't work for everybody's hair. I recommend S-Curl No Drip spray. I wet bun every day and my retention is on point. Also, if you are wet bunning your hair everyday, you don't need to comb it. Only comb your hair while it has conditioner in it.

Sade'

OP, I think HE HH is a good moisturizer, but IMO shea butter doesn't work for everybody's hair. I recommend S-Curl No Drip spray. I wet bun every day and my retention is on point. Also, if you are wet bunning your hair everyday, you don't need to comb it. Only comb your hair while it has conditioner in it.

I totally agree...I love that stuff.

jcdlox

OP
You may be using products with too much protein or that mimic protein, like coconut oil and the skala has ceramides (not sure about the chocolate so check me on that) which will seal your cuticles and may not allow enough moisture into your hair. Try to find one moisturizing conditioner and stick with that for a while. Using so many different products won't let you learn what your hair really needs.

Nixx22jam

I deep conditioned with cholesterol, coconut oil,castor oil,olive oil and honey. I did it twice and my hair still looks & feels good. I keep forgetting to soak my weft in oil. But my hair is no longer breaking.

ETA: I didnt know that coconut oil mimics protein