Could this be a dry ends solution

Miosy

I read in Carolyn Gray book that if you suffer from dry ends to focus on washing the scalp not the entire hair from root to ends. She advice to coat the ends with conditioner or to simply not add shampoo to the ends. Which makes sense to me. I started doing this and I also have been giving my ends a mini hot oil treatment (VO5 moisturzing hot oil or queen helene jojoba oil or plain old jojoba oil) before shampoo by heating up the oil and apply to my ends for a minute or two. Than I wash focusing on my scalp unless my ends are full of products.

I was wondering if you shampoo from root to end?

I focus on my scalp because its itchy, and I run the shapoo through my hair, I don't lather it up. I had heard that shampoo was meant for the scalp and conditioner meant for the hair.

Which makes sense but I just never thought about it. Even in the salons they wash your hair from root to end with the shampoo.

Before I shampoo I put some good ol cheap conditioner (VO5 or Suave) at the ends of my hair first then shampoo the roots only. That way even the shampoo that runs down from the rinse will not affect the ends of my hair.

I've been putting petroleum jelly on my ends prior to shampooing and doing a olive oil pre treatment and it works well. I have extremely dry hair and my ends are softer since I stopped shampooing my entire head.

I always apply shampoo(dilluted) to my scalp only. I squeeze the lather down the length of hair. If I shampooed the previous day than I just do the scalp and rinse.

I've tried this method for a long time and found that my ends still wind up dry
confused.gif

I apply shampoo to my scalp only. After I've cleaned my scalp and kind of "squeegee" the shampoo into my the rest of my hair and then rinse. I found that that's enough to clean my hair.

@Boadicea:
Have you tried coating the length of your hair with conditioner, applying shampoo to your scalp and then rinsing it all out? I also saw a method called the "Scrunchi Bun Scalp Wash" at longhaircommunity.com. I won't post it here because I think the originator has copyrighted it. Her name is Martine. It's basically piling your hair on top of your head with a scruchie and only washing your scalp. But there's a little more to it. Go over there and search for it.
poke.gif

I've been entertaining the thought of doing a conditioner/wash/conditioner (CWC). Which is put conditioner on all of the hair that is beyond 4-6 inches from the root and then shampoo only the 4-6 inch root hairs (allowing the run off to clean the rest of the hair). Then conditioning the whole head after that washing process.

I always at least make sure the ends have SOMETHING on them shampoo or conditioner. Something that will clean them, not washing the ends PERIOD just doesnt sound right to me. The ends will attract dirt like the rest of your hair.

Does your scalp or your hair really need shampoo? My father told me years ago that water cleaned, not the detergent or the temperature. The detergent simply makes the clothes smell good and softens the water. I have a water softener so my water is soft and where I grew up the water was naturally soft. So much so that for the entire state the water softener companies don't really cater to the residential area only commercial businesses that need their water to be a certain way. I don't use a lot of detergent to clean my clothes nor do I need to use a lot of soap to clean my body and the shampoo lathers the first time. Detergents strip and maybe add some slip but all you really need is the slip on the hair and the conditioner does that. So unless you have excessive product buildup - what's the point of shampooing at all. You're just stripping the natural oils from the scalp with it.

I mean when you think about it, there are moisturizing shampoos. As if water needed any help with moisturizing with its cleaning.

You are right Godmademepretty. I think little shampoo is needed, too. Water will clean dirt because they can combine, this is how we get mud. However, (as we all know) oil and water do not mix. So, to clean oils we must add something that combines with both oil and water ie soap, shampoo...

I've done this method and it works very well. I will continue this, also to get rid of some of my conditioner that I haven't used in a while.

Back