Creating Loose Waves with Bantu knot sets

Nanyanika

I tried bantu knot set on my friends hair, pics in my siggy and would like to replicate it on my own hair, however i would love to achieve loosely waved set, using bantu knots. Would I have to make bigger sections to get looser waves rather than shrunken curls. Any suggestions. also i was thinking how would i acheive a silky set, do you think i could use a natural butter and an oil like wildgrowth?

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I have no tips for ya Den because I would like to know the answer to that question as well. I love the look but every attempt I've made at bantu knots sucked! Every single one. :ohwell:

kristina

I think SouthernGirl has instructions in her album. Her knots are super cute. I recently tried (but didn't photograph) some bantu knots that turned out loose and wavy. But I did it on flat ironed hair and I didn't make them tight. I put about 6 in the front and two big ones in back.

katie

I haven't mastered bantu knots yet. But I think if you want big waves it is important to do it on dry hair. And of course do large sections, not sure how many exactly.

BTW I love your hair Den1

Tami

Miss Bubblegum
bigger knots and if you take them down before they are completely dry, maybe like 90% dry they have softer looser curl.

Nanyanika

kristina said:
I think SouthernGirl has instructions in her album. Her knots are super cute. I recently tried (but didn't photograph) some bantu knots that turned out loose and wavy. But I did it on flat ironed hair and I didn't make them tight. I put about 6 in the front and two big ones in back.
Thanks for recommending southerngirls album, i really would love to see how your hair looked with the loose waves....so in total you made just eight knots, i'd have to try this, i wish I could view this type of set on natural hair.

Last edited:

Nanyanika

katie said:
I haven't mastered bantu knots yet. But I think if you want big waves it is important to do it on dry hair. And of course do large sections, not sure how many exactly.

BTW I love your hair Den1
I'm still practising too. Oh i usually do sets on wet hair.....that's how i'm albe to get it smooth n silky. Wouldn't dry hair make it look too puffy, coz i also have 7 months of newgrowth? Thanks for the compliment.

Nanyanika

Tami said:
bigger knots and if you take them down before they are completely dry, maybe like 90% dry they have softer looser curl.
Ahh i thought so....that is similar to how i did my friends hair, I removed her from under the drier when the hair wasn't fully dried and i noticed hair curls were looser, thanks for confirming this, i just hope i can do a good job on my own hair.

sylver2

Hi your friends hair came out very nice.

I wear bantu knots regularly, I only like them loose and wavy.
To get them loose and wavy I don't do it on wet or damp hair.
I usually dry my hair straight, then I section into 6 pieces using NTM silk touch for each piece.Tie it with satin scarf, get in shower or do whatever I have to do and within the hour they are nice and wavy.

Nanyanika

sylver2 said:
Hi your friends hair came out very nice.

I wear bantu knots regularly, I only like them loose and wavy.
To get them loose and wavy I don't do it on wet or damp hair.
I usually dry my hair straight, then I section into 6 pieces using NTM silk touch for each piece.Tie it with satin scarf, get in shower or do whatever I have to do and within the hour they are nice and wavy.
Do you have any pics in your album with the bantu knot set? So would i have to straigten out my hair first? before doing the set. Does the NTM silk touch make your set smooth and silky? thanks for your help and the compliment?

sylver2

den1 said:
Do you have any pics in your album with the bantu knot set? So would i have to straigten out my hair first? before doing the set. Does the NTM silk touch make your set smooth and silky? thanks for your help and the compliment?

I do have a pic, its hard to see it though cause its just a regular pic someone took of me from far away.
Its in my fokti post relaxer album. It should be the absolute last picture, I'm wearing an orange shirt. That might be too loose though.
If its what I think u want then I recommend drying hair straight first.
The ntm silk touch is a godsend to my bantu sets. silky, soft and smooth.

Nanyanika

sylver2 said:
I do have a pic, its hard to see it though cause its just a regular pic someone took of me from far away.
Its in my fokti post relaxer album. It should be the absolute last picture, I'm wearing an orange shirt. That might be too loose though.
If its what I think u want then I recommend drying hair straight first.
The ntm silk touch is a godsend to my bantu sets. silky, soft and smooth.
Thanks for allowing me to view the style, it looks sooooooooooooo Gorgeous its really wavy and silky that's how i would love to wear it, but in a low ponytail. That NTM silk sounds wonderful. thanks for your help i hope mie turns out just as gorgeous as your hair.