Crochet Braids - Any Lessons Learned/Advice???

LadyPBC

OK, I'm fairly new to this all natural thing so I'm learning alot as I go. I just figured out what crochet braids are this year and I want some. I've watched most of the videos on YouTube. Its time to take my cornrows down next week (I've been hairbernating since December). I ordered the Freetress Presto Girl hair last night. Hairsisters didn't have any Water Wave available. My package should come in next Weds. I'm excited but nervous too:look:. I decided I will try this next weekend. It may take me 4 days :blush: I need to:
  • take my cornrows out
  • henna my hair or at least the edges
  • wash out henna with condish
  • do a DC/DT
  • blow dry my hair on low to stretch it for cornrows (I have not had direct heat since last July)
  • cornrow with hair added for more support (which I've never done before :nono: - Lord help me)
  • let my hair rest a while (maybe a day - I'll need it more than my hair!)
  • actually apply the crochet braids :yep:
Soooo - before I take this journey do you have any helpful hints based on your experience of things I should not do? If you decide to do it again what would you do differently? If you plan to try this on your own what is your strategy. I'm excited but I know I will somehow find a way to mess this up. I am between SL and APL stretched (I think). I don't like big hair and I am somewhat conservative. I spend some time on camera so I don't want to look too far gone. Speaking of which do you think the Presto Girl will work well? I don't want my cornrows to show either - what's the best method? Sorry for the long post but I NEED ANSWERS!

LadyPBC

bumping*** Helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllp!

BlackMasterPiece

Can I ask a question, why are you adding hair? The only thing I'd do is add a teeny tiny bit of hair to secure the edges but other then that if you have a twa then you have enough hair to do adequate braids on their own.

Take a look at the crochet braids I did on my mom she has a twa and it was more then enough hair to get secure braids.

As for other tips....I would make sure my hair is very well braided and braided in the back I'd do it in such a way that most of the hair is braided and away....meaning in the back I'll be doing a zig-zag formation next time especially if your hair is a past SL like mine.

I have other tips but I need to save some for my update thread lol:grin: so yea tose are some of my tips:yep:

nikipovi

I just got crochet braids this past weekend and I love them. I used the Fretress Presto curl and cut it into a bob.

Attachments

• 0227001247_revised.jpg
    0227001247_revised.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 141

BlkOnyx488

I just did crochet braids for the first time 2 weeks ago

so far the only thing I will change for next time is trying to add more braids at the top of my head. the section between my eyes to the crown of my head. it's a personal preference I don't like how much space is between my braids were I wear the part
I hope I explained that ok :yep:

Attachments

• DCAM0239.jpg
    DCAM0239.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 108

LadyPBC

Can I ask a question, why are you adding hair? The only thing I'd do is add a teeny tiny bit of hair to secure the edges but other then that if you have a twa then you have enough hair to do adequate braids on their own.

Take a look at the crochet braids I did on my mom she has a twa and it was more then enough hair to get secure braids.

As for other tips....I would make sure my hair is very well braided and braided in the back I'd do it in such a way that most of the hair is braided and away....meaning in the back I'll be doing a zig-zag formation next time especially if your hair is a past SL like mine.

I have other tips but I need to save some for my update thread lol:grin: so yea tose are some of my tips:yep:

:grin: - First let me say what an honor it is to have you respond! I was going to add hair because I thought it might protect my delicate (fine) strands but I like your idea better "adding a teeny bit to the edges". That would work better I think.

Trust me - I saw your mom's braids and I was inspired all over again. She looks great - fantastic job. I even thought that maybe I can talk my mom into it.

Not sure what you mean by zig zag braids, do you mean horizontally in the back? I like the pattern you used on your mom (not sure how to get there though). I bought a weave needle and thread to sew my back down (don't really know how to do that either LOL). I'll just have to make it do what it do :lachen:

Finally - awwww can't believe you would hold out on me like that but I understand so ... hurry up and post your update puhleez:lick:!

LadyPBC

I just got crochet braids this past weekend and I love them. I used the Fretress Presto curl and cut it into a bob.

Thanks Nikipovi! How are the braids holding up? Any tangling or matting? Does it look natural? I can't tell by the picture it looks good in the smaller size but how about up close? How does it feel? OK OK too many questions right?

LadyPBC

I just did crochet braids for the first time 2 weeks ago

so far the only thing I will change for next time is trying to add more braids at the top of my head. the section between my eyes to the crown of my head. it's a personal preference I don't like how much space is between my braids were I wear the part
I hope I explained that ok :yep:

Wow - can't believe you responded too - I read your posts all the time! BlackMasterPiece & BlkOnyx488 - I have arrived :grin:. OK of course I have more questions: I'm not thinking of having a part so I think I'll just have all mine go straight back and will make sure I have a braid in the middle. I don't want it too big and puffy though. What brand and type of hair did you use? It looks very natural. I saw your highlights too - you go girl! You do anything special at night - braid, moisturize etc.? Are you going to wash the hair?

nikipovi

HAHA!!!! No your ok with the questions.
I'll see if I can take another picture close up. So far I haven't experienced any tangling or matting. Right now, my head is still a little tight from the cornrows but otherwise the hair is pretty light. I was a little worried before I got them because I had crochet braids years ago and they were heavy. The people that I have seen so far said it does look natural. My goal is to try and keep them in for 2 months. I'm still researching the upkeep and maintenance because I have a very sensitive/dry scalp that I will have to keep moisturized otherwise they will only last a month. Good luck!!!

Thanks Nikipovi! How are the braids holding up? Any tangling or matting? Does it look natural? I can't tell by the picture it looks good in the smaller size but how about up close? How does it feel? OK OK too many questions right?

BlackMasterPiece

:grin: - First let me say what an honor it is to have you respond! I was going to add hair because I thought it might protect my delicate (fine) strands but I like your idea better "adding a teeny bit to the edges". That would work better I think.
Awe!:blush3: Thanks love :kiss:

Trust me - I saw your mom's braids and I was inspired all over again. She looks great - fantastic job. I even thought that maybe I can talk my mom into it.

Not sure what you mean by zig zag braids, do you mean horizontally in the back?
Yep, thats exactly what I mean I think this applies to me more then my mom, my braids were pretty long so I needed a new strategy to keep them up and protected. If you have hair the length of my mom its not as much of an issue.

I like the pattern you used on your mom (not sure how to get there though). I bought a weave needle and thread to sew my back down (don't really know how to do that either LOL). I'll just have to make it do what it do:lachen:

Finally - awwww can't believe you would hold out on me like that but I understand so ... hurry up and post your update puhleez:lick:!
lol will do! that same braid pattern I think could work on my mom again....especially while its this length

Last edited:

MyAngelEyez~C~U

Make sure your braids aren't too tight on your scalp!!!! Your head will be killing you by the time you're through if you don't! Adding the hair underneath the braids requires some wiggle room between your scalp and the cornrow, and securing that hair WILL pull on them! I found that out the hard way.

Last edited:

BlkOnyx488

You are too cute!
LHCFers stick together! you paid to post you are in the club!:grin::yep:

The color I used is 4/30, I usually do 1b/33 but the place I got the hair didn't have that color.

instead of doing large clumps of hair and less braids
I did a lot of braids and used small sections of freetress hair.

At night I section the hair in 4 or 6 large braids
and I spray my scalp with and real hair with mane and tail leave in mixed with a few drops of tea tree oil and MN then I baggie every night

the moisture helps keep the fake hair looking fresh in the morning:yep:
Wow - can't believe you responded too - I read your posts all the time! BlackMasterPiece & BlkOnyx488 - I have arrived :grin:. OK of course I have more questions: I'm not thinking of having a part so I think I'll just have all mine go straight back and will make sure I have a braid in the middle. I don't want it too big and puffy though. What brand and type of hair did you use? It looks very natural. I saw your highlights too - you go girl! You do anything special at night - braid, moisturize etc.? Are you going to wash the hair?

sumertyme08

Hey there, I installed my crochet braids about 2 weeks ago as well. I can't cornrow to save my life so I had someone else do them. I used Outre Batik hair in Jerry Curl.

As far as the install, it took me about 3.5 hours and I'm happy with it. The only thing I would change would be the way my braids were secured in the back. I kind of "rigged" them so they're not secured as well as they should be. It doesn't affect the look of the style but I'm afraid I'll wake up one morning and the back of my braids will be down.

Every night I put a 7 oil blend in between each braid and put a satin bonnet on. The last time I had these I had them for 2 months and when I took the braids down my hair was extremely soft and moisturized. I absolutely love this style.

Good luck!!!

Rei

make sure you tie up your ends or braid in a way that secures your ends, I always forget to do this.

Make sure you only put like 4 pieces of hair each on the bottom sides, and then 5 on the next etc. it seems like it will be very sparse but if you are using curly hair it will build up very fast, and if you used a lot of pieces on the side you'll end up looking like a lion xD

rsmith

BlackMasterPiece

I just want to say that you are very talented. Good Job. Your Mom looks like she really enjoyed her hairstyle. She seems so happy and proud.

LadyPBC

Has anyone tried exercising with these in? If so how do you pin up the hair without exposing the braids?

Oh-em-gee Ms.Swayne - great question cuz I will definitely be working out in these. I was planning on just putting a headband on (but it will probably be cotton so that's not good). I need answers to this question as well. :yep:

LadyPBC

Make sure your braids aren't too tight on your scalp!!!! Your head will be killing you by the time you're through if you don't! Adding the hair underneath the braids requires some wiggle room between your scalp and the cornrow, and securing that hair WILL pull on them! I found that out the hard way.

Excellent advice - I'm tenderheaded but I was planning on braiding them as tightly as I could stand it then somehow forcing the hook through the cornrow (ouch that sounds painful and I'm only typing it LOL)! Thanks!

LadyPBC

You are too cute!
LHCFers stick together! you paid to post you are in the club!:grin::yep:

The color I used is 4/30, I usually do 1b/33 but the place I got the hair didn't have that color.

At night I section the hair in 4 or 6 large braids
and I spray my scalp with and real hair with mane and tail leave in mixed with a few drops of tea tree oil and MN then I baggie every night the moisture helps keep the fake hair looking fresh in the morning:yep:

OK - why am I getting emotional reading your response LOL? Enty-way YAY I ordered 4/30 and 2. Mixing them on my head should be an adventure! Great idea for a nighttime routine - I'll try it but will prob use my S Curl stuff. Can't wait :grin:!

LadyPBC

Thanks ladies for all of your responses/love. It's weird but somehow I'm feeling emotional (in a good way)! I am honored that you were willing to share the wealth of your wisdom with me! Much love and HHG (happy hair growing - right?)!

Last edited:

Zeal

Where I am from we always called this "interlocking" braids and was wearing in in '89 - up until now'. lol

LadyPBC

Hi CoolSista (how cool is it that you reside in Paris:yep:)! Thanks for responding (can't believe I missed this post yesterday). Your hair looks fabulous - looks great on you. I'm leaving now to read the rest of the thread you shared. I have the crochet hook but I'm trying to find the beader. In case I don't find it in your thread, what type of hair did you use?

hi! i did mine 3 weeks ago.itt was my first time too, i did it over 2 days but it would have been faster if i bought the right crochet! well take a look at the post i opened about this:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=445116&highlight=

LadyPBC

1 thing I've learned to keep my hair from going flat is to bend over (like I want to touch my knees) and then cover my hair with the satin bonnet. It all fits and it is full the next day.

BlkOnyx488

I hope I am not too late to warn you
DON'T USE S-CURL ON AKE HAIR
the Glycerin will sit on top o the hair and make it sticky, it's horrible

I live Olive oil tea tree oil and a leave-in (any will do) mixed with a little water. I put my mixes in empty S-Curl bottles, because I like the way the spray bottle sprays
OK - why am I getting emotional reading your response LOL? Enty-way YAY I ordered 4/30 and 2. Mixing them on my head should be an adventure! Great idea for a nighttime routine - I'll try it but will prob use my S Curl stuff. Can't wait :grin:!

LadyPBC

make sure you tie up your ends or braid in a way that secures your ends, I always forget to do this.

Make sure you only put like 4 pieces of hair each on the bottom sides, and then 5 on the next etc. it seems like it will be very sparse but if you are using curly hair it will build up very fast, and if you used a lot of pieces on the side you'll end up looking like a lion xD

Great advice Rei but I messed this one up :wallbash:. I tried but didn't do a good job of it. Now I'm a tad bit nervous :blush:. I'll try to go back and secure the back. I started out putting only 4-5 on the bottom sides and that worked out well.

LadyPBC

I hope I am not too late to warn you
DON'T USE S-CURL ON AKE HAIR
the Glycerin will sit on top o the hair and make it sticky, it's horrible

LOL - just a tad bit late but no worries. No damage has been done. I was most concerned about my inability to baggy (which I love). I am now following your recommendation however I'm afraid to separate the hair and braid it. Maybe in a couple weeks. I will create my own moisturizer without the glycerin (thanks :yep:) and seal with shikaikai oil. Since I don't braid my crocheted links I can't fit a plastic cap over my hair so I used a grocery store bag and it kept my hair moist all night long. I woke up with damp hair. I'm soo happy:grin:! The only adjustment I'll make is to moisturize and baggy as soon as I get home to allow the moisture to work its magic longer.

lilsparkle825

I'm reinforcing my braids with fake hair next time...I had some thinning of my ends and I hope that making them stronger will keep that from happening again. I also have to find a way to secure the ends; I just bunned and bobby pinned them since no one could see them, but I want them flat this time.