Lets Talk about Crochet Braids.....

naturalmanenyc

@amii

I leave my installs in for 8 - 10 weeks and then out for 2 - 4 weeks. I tend to try new products during that "down" time.
I can wear my hair up, but it does match my texture. There are some braiders who can do a knotless style that looks like it's growing from the scalp with no leave out even when the texture doesn't match 100%. They seem to mostly use Marley hair for the knotless styles.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I leave mine in for a max of 8 weeks, take down, deep condition and braid back up within a week. I did this for the last 6 months and just relaxed two weeks ago. I retained lots of growth. I think going forward I will relax sooner because I had so much new growth after crochet braiding every 8 weeks for 6 months. It was a BEAST to detangle and relax because my hair is so thick. I do like that my hair was totally protected this past winter.

I don't leave any hair out. My knots are not really noticeable and I think that is because of my braiding pattern. I will be braiding back up next month and wear them for 8 weeks again. I will make bsl again this year doing this.

naturalmanenyc

http://websta.me/p/970558475504308168_880517930

mshoneyfly

I usually plan out my PSs well ahead. Getting tired of wigs so planning to do crochet braids with packs of pretwisted hair soon. Will leave the perimeter out and do individual twists with bulk hair for a more natural look. I want to be able to pull them up into a high bun.

sgold04

How do you maintain the synthetic hair after an install? This is my first time getting crochet braids and keeping the hair loose. I have Marley hair set with perm rods. Half of my curls are already loosening up (and it hasn't been a week), and the curlier side is getting frizzy. I'm not really trying to do much maintenance

@naturalmanenyc @DarkJoy

naturalmanenyc

How do you maintain the synthetic hair after an install? This is my first time getting crochet braids and keeping the hair loose. I have Marley hair set with perm rods. Half of my curls are already loosening up (and it hasn't been a week), and the curlier side is getting frizzy. I'm not really trying to do much maintenance

@naturalmanenyc @DarkJoy

I don't use Marley hair. I've only used pre-curled hair for crochet braids.
I recall @Keen posting that she uses Marley hair that does not need to be constantly recurled.

GGsKin

@sgold04 I found my Marley hair install required the most maintainance, so I kept it in for the least amount of time (about 4 weeks, maybe more).

It tended to get frizzy where I separated some of the curls, and I would just snip away when those bits got out of control. When the curls dropped too much, or the hair got too big, I would just re-dip those bits- carefully in a cup/glass of boiled water.

ETA: pics of the same install, taken about 4 weeks apart. I loved the look, but I only used this hair once and I doubt I will try again any time soon.

Attachments

• 2015-07-15_02.29.14.jpg
    2015-07-15_02.29.14.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

BlueEra

Just took down my crochet braids after 5 weeks. I absolutely love the style! I got so many compliments on the style when I had it, and it was super low maintenance. I loved how natural it looked. My curls lasted for a very long time. I re-curled the Marley hair twice during the five weeks and each time the curls lasted for a very long time. Idk if it was the brand of hair that I used (Rastafri) or what because I did very little to maintain the style. I currently have box braids, but I plan to get crochet braids again soon.

Fine 4s

I like the style but not looking forward to the upkeep. I'll try a different type of hair or pre curled hair next time.

Keen

@sgold04 You have to dip the curled rods in super hot water. Wait for them to cool down before removing the rods. I've never had to recurl. I keep my style for 10 weeks. I even wash them every 2-3 weeks.

Fine 4s

You wash your hair and scalp?!
I thought you couldn't wash Marley hair?
What kind of hair and what brand did you use @Keen ?

BlueEra

@Fine 4s from what I've heard you can wash Marley hair. I washed/shampooed mine once because of product buildup and re-curled it and it turned out fine.

Fine 4s

Because I thought I couldn't wash it, I never applied product to it either.
Wow, I was all off....what brand did you use though @BlueEra ? I used Noir.

scarcity21

I leave mine in for a max of 8 weeks, take down, deep condition and braid back up within a week. I did this for the last 6 months and just relaxed two weeks ago. I retained lots of growth. I think going forward I will relax sooner because I had so much new growth after crochet braiding every 8 weeks for 6 months. It was a BEAST to detangle and relax because my hair is so thick. I do like that my hair was totally protected this past winter.

I don't leave any hair out. My knots are not really noticeable and I think that is because of my braiding pattern. I will be braiding back up next month and wear them for 8 weeks again. I will make bsl again this year doing this.
@simplycee, what braiding pattern do u use?

sgold04

I went to Caribana in Toronto and have paint and powder in my synthetic hair. I'm hoping regular shampoo will remove it. My original plan was to take the crochet braids out as soon as I returned, but the style still looks good and my cornrows are holding up well. I just gotta get this paint out!

GGsKin

I went to Caribana in Toronto and have paint and powder in my synthetic hair. I'm hoping regular shampoo will remove it. My original plan was to take the crochet braids out as soon as I returned, but the style still looks good and my cornrows are holding up well. I just gotta get this paint out!

This happened to me last year. I played Carnival and got powder and paint all up in my synthetic hair. It washed out just fine though.

sgold04

@amii

I leave my installs in for 8 - 10 weeks and then out for 2 - 4 weeks. I tend to try new products during that "down" time.
I can wear my hair up, but it does match my texture. There are some braiders who can do a knotless style that looks like it's growing from the scalp with no leave out even when the texture doesn't match 100%. They seem to mostly use Marley hair for the knotless styles.
@sgold04 You have to dip the curled rods in super hot water. Wait for them to cool down before removing the rods. I've never had to recurl. I keep my style for 10 weeks. I even wash them every 2-3 weeks.
I'm planning on leaving my current install in for 10 weeks. How do you ladies prevent build up, or remove the build up once you have taken them down?

naturalmanenyc

I'm planning on leaving my current install in for 10 weeks. How do you ladies prevent build up, or remove the build up once you have taken them down?

I don't use cream products at all during installs. I've found that using cream products (even diluted ones) causes too much build up at my roots.
I shampoo my hair every 1 - 2 weeks during installs to prevent build up. The hair can get a little frizzy but I cut out the frizzy parts if it gets too bad.