Crochet Braids - Any Lessons Learned/Advice???

BlackMasterPiece

If you have long MBL+ thick hair be ready to get creative with the braid pattern:look:

I've come to realize the best pattern for me will be to do the braids straight back for 1/2 - 2/3rd of your head....then in the back do a continuous zig-zag.

- Shrinkage is your friend when it comes to the hanging braids:yep: really helps with keeping them concealed.

- Prepare the hair ahead of time to make the install process as smooth as possible.

This second install is annoying me....I'm going at a snails pace.....well really all I have left is a small square patch on the top of my head so its not so bad but I need to stop procrastinating:rolleyes:.....my hair has that first week tightness and I dont have my spray with me *sighs* but its coming out really pretty and I love my new braid pattern that has all my hair up off my neck and my ends protected (pix will be posted on my blog in the next two days ;))

LadyPBC

If you have long MBL+ thick hair be ready to get creative with the braid pattern:look:

I've come to realize the best pattern for me will be to do the braids straight back for 1/2 - 2/3rd of your head....then in the back do a continuous zig-zag.

- Shrinkage is your friend when it comes to the hanging braids:yep: really helps with keeping them concealed.

- Prepare the hair ahead of time to make the install process as smooth as possible.

This second install is annoying me....I'm going at a snails pace.....well really all I have left is a small square patch on the top of my head so its not so bad but I need to stop procrastinating:rolleyes:.....my hair has that first week tightness and I dont have my spray with me *sighs* but its coming out really pretty and I love my new braid pattern that has all my hair up off my neck and my ends protected (pix will be posted on my blog in the next two days ;))

I love the continuous zig-zag idea. I'll try it next time. How long did you leave your crochet braids in?

Prepare the hair in advance (great idea - I tried it but ran out of room). Did you use the water wave by Freetress? If so it might work better. I was so tried of fighting with that presto curl :wallbash: that I just gave up trying to separate it.

Can't wait to see your new pictures. Now I need you to develop a technique so that we can wear them in a ponytail or pulled back without the cornrows showing. :grin:

lolascurls

I am currently in my second install of these!
I've read up on BlackMasterPiece's update thread and she's right!
What I will add:
1) I moisturize each braid at night with a moisture spritz that has water, aloe vera juice and glycerin (and some peppermint oil drops for soothing). Spritz along the line of the cornrow.
2) I spritz the fake hair in the morning before I go to refresh it
3) Do weekly search and trims of tangled ends!
4) Fluff the hair if you're wearing it out.
5) you can use a silk/satin scarf to make a puff like look with the hair. I coordinate these with my work outfits and people LOVE it! (Can't let my hair get in my eyes at work-lol!)
6) Enjoy the hair. Try different partings of the weekend. I initially wanted a centre part the first time but found that the side-parting was more flattering on me!

Hope these help, hon!
Good luck and let us know how it goes! :)

lolascurls

Oh and what I did to the ends of the cornrows was I curled them on perm rods to make them shrink and hide up at the back! This worked last time and works well this time too!