Crochet braids - Safe for edges??

RubyWoo

Hey ladies,

I'm considering getting crochet braids in the summer(most likely June). My edges are very week and I don't want to experience any damage. For those of you with fragile edges, have you experienced any damage on your edges due to crochet braids? Did you do anything different to prevent damage to your edges?

Thank you!

BlkOnyx488

I have been doing cornrows and crochet styles since January. My hair is thriving wonderfully. I believe BlackMasterPiece has been doing them longer and maybe about to chime in with more info

unicque24

I wore crochet braids for a number of months last year and throughout the summer. I used to wear braids (box braids- not micros!) and my hair was thriving and growing and healthy. While my hair was in crochet braids however, I neglected to adequately moisturize my hair (it was buried).. and the overall health of my hair greatly suffered! My hairline (edges) also broke off.. but primarily, I think, because of wearing an elastic rubberband almost daily (just like the ones in your picture!!!). It put too much pressure on my hairline.
If you do get crochet braids, just be sure to get 'in there' and keep your hair moisturized and taken care of. And don't use those elastic headbands more than 1x a week. I won't be doing crochet braids for a while- as much as I loved the style- because my hair needs to be washed and conditioned more reguarly and the crochet braids made washing regularly impossible. Hope this helps!
Good luck!

msdeevee

Do a search for all the crochet braid threads . I remember 1 member that did them (I forgot who) who did her crochet braids but left the hair off of her hairline.

It just looked like she had cornrows in the front 2 inches or so and then a nice curly do in the back.

I wear the headbands like you and I have never had a problem with my edges or losing hair. I wear them quite often in the Summer to hold my hair back never lost a strand.

RubyWoo

I wore crochet braids for a number of months last year and throughout the summer. I used to wear braids (box braids- not micros!) and my hair was thriving and growing and healthy. While my hair was in crochet braids however, I neglected to adequately moisturize my hair (it was buried).. and the overall health of my hair greatly suffered! My hairline (edges) also broke off.. but primarily, I think, because of wearing an elastic rubberband almost daily (just like the ones in your picture!!!). It put to much pressure on my hairline.
If you do get crochet braids, just be sure to get 'in there' and keep your hair moisturized and taken care of. And don't use those elastic headbands more than 1x a week. I won't be doing crochet braids for a while- as much as I loved the style- because my hair needs to be washed and conditioned more reguarly and the crochet braids made washing regularly impossible. Hope this helps!
Good luck!

It definitely helps!! Thank you! I don't wear headbands often because I know my edges will suffer. They're goody ouchless headbands and they're not too tight so I thought it would be safe to wear them. I wanted to treat myself and decided to wear some on that day.

Last edited:

RubyWoo

It just looked like she had cornrows in the front 2 inches or so and then a nice curly do in the back.

I think this is what I'm going to do. I've done this in the past when wearing braid extensions to keep my edges protected and it actually worked. Thank you for your help!!

Thank you all for your help:)!