*Crosses fingers* I'll be going to a DOMINICAN SALON for the 1st time!

ms_kenesha

Re: *Crosses fingers* I\'ll be going to a DOMINICAN SALON for the 1st t

Oh, I've been there too, it was an okay experience /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif but the prices are RE-DUCK-ULOUS!

[ QUOTE ]
Crystalicequeen123 said:
"Was this place B Natural?"

No, hahah...actually it's this place called "Beauty Bliss and Beyond". It's a really nice day spa owned by black women in the Bowie area. It's just that they charged you an arm and a LEG!! They even have thier own website if you want to check out their prices. Their prices were "BEYOND" rediculous! I'm sorry. But they give really good spa treatments.

The site is: www.beautyblissandbeyond.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Crystalicequeen123

Ms Kenesha:

OMG aren't their prices rediculous?? I mean, they are just plain silly! I mean, the atmosphere at Beauty Bliss and Beyond is really nice, I have to admit. But man...not for that amount of money. Then after paying 90 bucks in services, they have the nerve to make you pay 15% EXTRA for tip! HA! I'll give you a tip: Stop making your prices so HIGH!

I used to go there only because our family had just moved to Bowie from Silver Spring, and didn't know of any black hair stylists in the area. This was the closest place to us, and we liked the small, quiet atmosphere, and you didn't have to wait for an hour to get serviced! The place was clean, and there weren't many customers there (now I know why! lol).
I used to love this one stylist that was there because she was really nice, and she told me the truth about the health of my hair in a nice way. Unfortunately she passed away recently so I heard.

I went back to BBB recently just to crazy witchy young stylist who thought she was all that and had a chip on her shoulder. She had the nerve to rake a small toothed comb through my hair, and was talking badly about my hair saying that it was "fine" and that my last perm hadn't taken well. I had JUST gotten relaxed about 2 weeks ago! Sorry if my hair wasn't stick straight. Uhghg! She was seriously getting on my last nerves. Plus, you could tell that she was conceited, and she kept telling her co-workers that she just wanted to hurry up and get out of the place. "Gee, thanks". You're not supposed to do that to your customers! Almost like she felt she was doing me a "favor" at the last minute for working on my hair. So, not only was she careless with my hair, but she was also MEAN! A BAAAAD combination!

After that fiasco, I said NEVER AGAIN to the Beauty BLiss and Beyond place. No more going there for hair styles. Now, I'll go do their massages any day of the week, because at least they excel at that.

ms_kenesha

I'm glad you had a good experience at Luisa's /images/graemlins/up.gif

That's sad to hear that one of BBB's stylists has passed, I only went there once, but my stylist was nice.

LadyChe

Okay - glad I found this thread again to give an update! I went to a dominican salon called "Belky's" last Friday. I must admit, I was really nervous - esp since there weren't any black women there when I went in. /images/graemlins/look.gif I waited only 5 minutes before the owner called her assistant - who speaks more english - over to get me started.

I was amazed./images/graemlins/shocked.gif I personally believe that my stylist should get the Congressional Medal of Honor for being able to get a small-toothed comb through my head, not to mention getting my full apple-head rollerset in less than 15 minutes. /images/graemlins/rofl.gif /images/graemlins/rofl.gif /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I meant to have her blow out only the roots, but I couldn't RESIST! I had her do the whole length, and with 6 weeks of new growth, it looked like I had gained a full inch when she finished!!! /images/graemlins/clap.gif /images/graemlins/clap.gif /images/graemlins/clap.gif
Which of course meant...

I was acting a fool when I left that place!!! Toss, toss Flip, toss toss Wink! /images/graemlins/wink.gif Whip left, whip right!

$20 for the full service, no mention of trims or pushing for relaxer, AND I was outta there in under 3 hours - major accomplishment, my hair takes FOREVER to dry - AND they dried me on a low setting, as I requested!

Yet another "must do" from LHCF! /images/graemlins/weird.gif /images/graemlins/weird.gif /images/graemlins/weird.gif

I won't be doing it every week, but I'll definitely
do this to stretch relaxers.

caramelty

Okay since all of you ladies posted about your DS I went to one on the 26th of November and I absolutely loved it my next appointment is this Saturday and I am bringing 2 friends when I told them who did my hair they couldn't believe it. I also was only in there for about 1 and a half I loved it I thought that the experiece would be akward but it wasn't it was great next time I am getting my nails done while I am under the dryer how CONVENIENT I also let another stylist arch my eyebrows for 6 bucks so all together hair was 25 and eyes were 6 and I asked the girl how much would it be for a fullset of nails and she told me 18 bucks I THINK I AM IN LOVE....whats so funny the salon is right in my fiancees neighborhood but I never paid it any attention or thought about going in there until I asked TAI... /images/graemlins/smile.gifwhen I stepped out of the salon the wind was blowing and my hair was everywhere some white dudes were riding past blowing there horn. My fiancee and his friend were in the car laughing they told me I look like i was doing a commercial lol...

hairwego

Hi, I'm wondering if any of you know what setting lotion the dominican salons use to set the hair? Thank you!!

cutebajangirl

Lady Che- I really hop you don't mean "Belky's My Salon" on 125th and 5th ave. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif If so please be careful there, they are known for messing up people's hair and when the client complains Belky is like "So, you paid $12 dollars".

Crystalicequeen123

Yeah, I enjoyed my blowout BUT... (and a BIG but!) I've noticed in the last couple of days that my hair is REALLY thin. I have fine hair to begin with, but my hair was growing back on the sides since I didn't relax it last time, but after getting the blowout, I notice that my hair is really thin, especially around the edges of my face frame. :-( I'm kind of upset by this. I don't think my hair can take blowouts, especially NOT around my hairline. I think next time I go to the Dominican Salon, I will only get a rollerset. I know it won't get my hair as straight as I would like while I'm stretching out my relaxers, but it will be better than getting that hot HOT blowdryer on my roots. ughg!

ms_kenesha

Honestly, I think a lot of times, they don't. The minimum product is what helps with the blowing in the wind effect. I know some use Salerm 21, but it's not a setting lotion, it's more of a leave-in conditioner.

[ QUOTE ]
hairwego said:
Hi, I'm wondering if any of you know what setting lotion the dominican salons use to set the hair? Thank you!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Crystalicequeen123

Is it my imagination though, but do some of the Dominican salons find it an insult if you don't get your hair blown out? Because I just went again to get my hair washed and roller set, but this time I didn't want my hair blown out at the roots. I found later on that it made my already fine hair extremely thin and whispy looking. So, I just told my stylist to just let my hair be, and take the rollers out, I'd style it myself. Well, she looked at me like I was crazy! She started talking in spanish to the cashier lady, and she then asked me in english if I was SURE I didn't want a blowout since I have a lot of new growth.

Well, I told her that my hair is really fine to begin with, and that I just can't afford that much intense heat on my hair often. Well...she looked at me like I was crazy too! LOL* I felt like they were almost offended or something! NEedless to say, I did NOT get a blowout that day, not even at the roots, because just the heat alone killed my hair last time unfortunately. :-(

LadyChe

cutebajangirl said:
Lady Che- I really hop you don't mean "Belky's My Salon" on 125th and 5th ave. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif If so please be careful there, they are known for messing up people's hair and when the client complains Belky is like "So, you paid $12 dollars".

Thanks for the concern sweetheart - but I'm pretty sure that isn't the place. I love how LHCFers look out for each other!

cutebajangirl

Sometimes I get that feeling too, lol. I'm not sure if it is a reflection of an obsession with straight roots or if they think you are saying they can't style or what.

ms_kenesha

I think she was probably not offended, but just baffled that you didn't want your roots straightened since you had a lot of new growth, it's probably just an unusual request for her.

BTW, what shop did you go to? Some are more preoccupied with straightness than others.

Crystalicequeen123 said:
Is it my imagination though, but do some of the Dominican salons find it an insult if you don't get your hair blown out? Because I just went again to get my hair washed and roller set, but this time I didn't want my hair blown out at the roots. I found later on that it made my already fine hair extremely thin and whispy looking. So, I just told my stylist to just let my hair be, and take the rollers out, I'd style it myself. Well, she looked at me like I was crazy! She started talking in spanish to the cashier lady, and she then asked me in english if I was SURE I didn't want a blowout since I have a lot of new growth.

Well, I told her that my hair is really fine to begin with, and that I just can't afford that much intense heat on my hair often. Well...she looked at me like I was crazy too! LOL* I felt like they were almost offended or something! NEedless to say, I did NOT get a blowout that day, not even at the roots, because just the heat alone killed my hair last time unfortunately. :-(

cutebajangirl

Good. I went to place I mentioned three times and every time I was there someone was complaining and I was like le me make sure I never go back before I become the one crying that my hair is coming out.

LadyChe said:
Thanks for the concern sweetheart - but I'm pretty sure that isn't the place. I love how LHCFers look out for each other!

renata13725

Where is Belky's, it sounds like a great place to get your hair done.