My Dominican Experience!!!

ms_kenesha

I finally went to Luisa's today. For those who don't know Luisa's is a Dominican salon in the DC Metro Area (Silver Spring, MD to be exact).

I made my appointment for 3pm and arrived promptly, soon after I was whisked to the shampoo bowl. The shampoo smelled like oranges and the stylist lathered 3xs, which was good because the day before I had sprayed braid spray (ingredients similar to Jherri curl juice) and put castor oil in my hair.

After the thorough shampooing she applied a conditioner (it smelled good too). Then it was roller setting time, she was fast and much gentler on my hair than any other salon I've been to, whatever conditioner she used must have had a good amount of slip in it, too because Fri. will make 7 wks. since my last touch-up.

After putting the rollers in my hair I sat under the dryer. After my hair was dry she took out the rollers and blew my roots out with the hottest dryer that the world has ever made
Thankfully that didn't last too long. She had asked earlier if I wanted her to wrap it so she did putting in about ten bobby pins. But, I had yet to see my hair.

I get on the Metro go shopping (yes with my hair wrapped with pins in it
) and then when I get home I take out the pins and comb out my hair...............

MAGIC!!!! Why oh why had I never been to Luisa's!!! My hair is shakey full light and feels like silk!!! My fiance was fascinated with the movement! I have re-wrapped my hair and put on my scarf for the night, but this will definitely not be the last time I go to Luisa's!

cutebajangirl

Great for you !!! You can get the shake without the heat if she rollersets it with tension (which I am sure she did already)and just wrap.

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
Sounds beautiful! Did you take any pics??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I had my fiance take a pic. I have four pictures to go and then I'm getting them developed. So I'll say that by mid next week they should be developed. Oh the camera I used is black and white so all my new pics from this camera will be in B&W.

Armyqt

Girl I'm so glad you gave this review. Where are tha pics tho
. I will definitely be going to see Luisa sooner or later

ms_kenesha

I forgot to add they had Salerm products for sale their, but I kept my composure and my money in my pocket! They also had a conditioner in a blue and white tub, but I don't remember the name of it, but I really want to try it!

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
CAN'T WAIT to see the pics
It sounds like you had a great experience and that Luisa will be seeing you again

alibi

hair bored
Congrats Ms. Kenesha!!! I went to Luisa for 3 years while I was in law school in DC, and I absolutely LOVED HER! I know your hair has so much body and bounce right now! All the girls at my law school with nice healthy hair went to her. I wanted to move her to Florida with me when I graduated in 2001, but obviously, she wouldn't come!
LOL! Congrats again, can't wait to see the pix!

Leshia

waaaiiit a minute, so you got ON the metro AND went shopping when your hair wrapped around your head and the pins all in it??? *giggles* I'd be darned if I would have saved the glamour while in public, only to unveil the magic for just my husband. *smirking*

love2praz

What a great experience! Ms. Kenesha! I live in the metro DC area too. Is the shop metro accessible? Or do you have to walk a number of blocks? (I'm completely unfamiliar with Silver Spring.)

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
Leshia said:
I'd be darned if I would have saved the glamour while in public, only to unveil the magic for just my husband. *smirking*

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO!!!!

Anyway Ms. Kenesha, Glad you had a good experience, and I can't wait to see the pictures!!

I hate when they use that hot blow-dryer though!! I sit there just imagining the damage that heat is doing to my hair!!

joemerald

Great. I was planning to go there this week so I am soo happy with your review. I hope to have a similar experience. When she was blowing out the roots did you see and hair breaking? I am kinda worried about that. Do they do relaxers anyone? I cannot relax my own hair anymore and am looking for someone to do it. I am calling to make an appointment now. Will keep you informed.

Jo.

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]
Leshia said:
waaaiiit a minute, so you got ON the metro AND went shopping when your hair wrapped around your head and the pins all in it??? *giggles* I'd be darned if I would have saved the glamour while in public, only to unveil the magic for just my husband. *smirking*

[/ QUOTE ]

I know people were like what is up with this girl!

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]
love2praz said:
What a great experience! Ms. Kenesha! I live in the metro DC area too. Is the shop metro accessible? Or do you have to walk a number of blocks? (I'm completely unfamiliar with Silver Spring.)

[/ QUOTE ]

It is right across the street from the Silver Spring Metro Station. It's on Ramsey Ave.

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]
joemerald said:
Great. I was planning to go there this week so I am soo happy with your review. I hope to have a similar experience. When she was blowing out the roots did you see and hair breaking? I am kinda worried about that. Do they do relaxers anyone? I cannot relax my own hair anymore and am looking for someone to do it. I am calling to make an appointment now. Will keep you informed.

Jo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jo I didn't really see any hair breaking when she was blowing it out and the actual round brushing wasn't rough like I imagined it would be. It's no worse to me than someone using a hot curling or flat iron in fact that may be worse because they're doing that from root to tip vs just the roots.

love2praz

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
She charged $35, I paid 40 though incl. tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not bad at all! Hmmm...sometime in the near future, I may need to pay a visit! Thank you for sharing your experience!!

beana3

i pay $12-15 up here (NYC) for a rollerset. I would hate to pay that much if i moved! the dominican salons here charge $35 for a relaxer.

If i lived in another state i would trully reserve salon visits for special occasions

Britt

[ QUOTE ]
beana3 said:
i pay $12-15 up here (NYC) for a rollerset. I would hate to pay that much if i moved! the dominican salons here charge $35 for a relaxer.

If i lived in another state i would trully reserve salon visits for special occasions

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO !!!! Thats the price of a perm. One of the many benefits to living in NYC

azul11

Omg where do you guys go? I am thinking about going to La Var salon but its a lot of money but I am thinking she must be worth it. God bless you all.