Crown and Glory Support Thread and FAQs

MsBttrfly23

1. How long do you leave your braids in?
About 2 months...which I could stretch it to 3 but my new growth is outta control by this time.

2. What is your DETAILED reggie while you're in braids?
I rinse weekly but wash with a diluted shampoo and conditioner mix every other week.
I pay close attention to my edges and use WGO and Profective Strengthner at least 3 to 4 times a week on edges especially.

3. How long after removing your braids do you wait to relax the hair?
I am natural, but after I take the braids I have in now (since early Sept.) I am considering texing...maybe...

4. How long after a relaxer do you wait to redo your braids?
I am newly natural, but I usually bun my hair and treat it for about a month or two between braids. This has been my routine for the last 3 years (even while permed). As I transitioned over the last year and 1/2 I cut (more like trimmed) the perm off very little by little...

5. How often do you trim your hair?
Now that I am natural, I am not sure how often I will trim. I do mini trims or as needed when I wash and plait my hair. I dust the ends of my plaits.

I_shure_do_wish

1.5 months

Spary mane n'tail braid sheen and wash them once a week.

TRANISTIONER

n/a
When I feel the need too.

The only problem with this method with me is the constant itching which loosens the braids in the crown area. Does anyone know of a good itch spray or creme to prevent the itchig?

LADIES!!! I am so frustrated. I was on a personal three month crown and glory in individuals. But I have cracked, I can't do it anymore!

I miss my hair and looking at all the lovely ladies hair on this site does not help! :nono: My hair looks so ragedy (sp?) after three weeks.

I decided I am going to finish the last month in twists. So I completed two full months in braids and the last (Dec) will be in twists. I'm still somewhat proud of myself. lol :yep:

Nonie

Seems like forever. I think the longest I've left them in is a year and a half, maybe 2. I just touch them up as needed.
Shampoo at least twice a week. Might condition wash one of those times or in between. I usually end each wash with a dunk in ACV solution (ACV, essential oils and lukewarm water) during which time I give my scalp a good massage. I don't use any leave-in products or braid sprays, and don't oil my scalp. Frequent washing/conditioning is how I keep my hair "moisturized". I DC once a week at the end of one of my washes or on the day I CW.
N/A. I'm natural with no plans to relax.
N/A.
I'm guessing every 6 to 8 weeks. But really it's just when I think of it and just start touching up my braids from the back and trim about 1/4 inch each section before re-braiding, till I've done every section. Sometimes what reminds me to do it is coming across thin-looking ends while touching up a braid, when I just make that one the first to be trimmed and then undo each one at a time and dust then rebraid. I can tell which ones are yet to be trimmed because those braids are not as neat as the newly touched up ones.

Do any of you ladies do any special treatments to your hair after coming out of braids for a long time?

Do you guys think hair would need more protein or moisture after being braided for long time?

Nonie

Do any of you ladies do any special treatments to your hair after coming out of braids for a long time?

Do you guys think hair would need more protein or moisture after being braided for long time?

Since I wear my braids for long periods, I do everything from protein treatments to CW to DC to massages while in them. So when I take them out, I just continue with my regular regimen. In other words, I treat my hair the same all the time so I change nothing when I take them out.

kellie7777

It all depends on how i feel. But usually they need to be taken out by 2 months. Mean while i refresh mostly around the hair line until i take them out.

a)Use MN mix on scalp
co wash mid week with Tresemme

pre-poo with Shikakai and amla / tea wash on Saturday follow by Tresemme
spray 2x a day. AM & PM with leave in concotion. (winter done at night before bed
b)Same while out of braids

Natural no relax

Natural no relax.
But i do redo my braids from 2 days to 2 weeks depending on what's happening or how i feel.

When i transitioned, i trimed an inch every time i rebraided. But now i am only dusting if they are knots and tangles at the ends. and i do that on individual hairs. So i am not trimming alot of length.

pringe

Well i'm on the 6 month C & G challenge and i just took my braids out sunday to rebraid but i had my braids in for 4 months! Of course i touch up my hair myself though lol

a) wash every other week with diluted shampoo and conditioner. Then apply Infusium 23 leave in & braid spray. Add moisturizer as necessary.

Natural no relaxing planned

don't relax

As needed if i really have knots, split ends or tangles

TCT

I redo the first three rows in the front and back every three months. I don't redo the rest. once the NG start showing I wear the braids in a loose ponytail. :cool:

HOW AR EYOU ABLE TO DO THIS SPECIFICALLY, PLEASE?

WHEN I LEAVE MY BRAIDS IN TOO LONG THEY WILL START TO MATT UP WITH THE NEW HAIR AND ALL THE PRODUCT BULD UP THAT DOESNT COME OUT DURNG THE WASHING.

WHAT R U DOING TO MAKE THIS WORK 4 U?

ENQUERING MIND NEEEEED'S TO KNOW!

Last edited:

kandegirl

6- 8 weeks

a. shampoo every two weeks w/ diluted shampoo: use fermodoyl as a leave in
b. spray daily w/ african Royale braid spray and dilted infusium
c. oil scalp every other day w/ Kemi Oyl

3 weeks
about two months
every 8 weeks

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Chayil[/QUOTE]

apemay1969

Do any of you get slippage while washing or manipulating into bun?

My poor back just twinged thinking about sitting for all those hours.:nono:

unique4lyfe33

i know this is kinda an old thread but how are u guys washing yor briads (extnsions) w/o them falling out or getting frizzy? i just got my hair in micros and would like too try this method

Miosy

Hey ...this thread is for Q&As for those using or considering the Crown and Glory Method (www.growafrohairlong.com)

I'd like to get things rolling with the following questions.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Chayil
How long do you leave your braids in? 6-8 weeks

• [*]Spray my scalp daily sometimes 2X with Hydratherma follicle spray
    [*]Spray the length of the braid daily with a mixture of infusion, braid spray, a bit of olive cream (QP) and DI water
    [*]I wash 1-2X a week depending if I sweat too much or see dirt on my scalp. I rinse focusing on my scalp with warm water for about 3-5 minuted, then I rinse with diluted shampoo 2X and I sometimes loosen any dirt of my scalp gently with my nails. Then I rinsed for about 5minutes.
    [*]I rinse 2X with ACV
    [*]I then do a final rinse of diluted desrizol which is a dominican rinse the get your hair back to its normal pH. I do about a tablespoon and mix with a liter of water and rinse my hair
    [*]I add hair oil to the length of the braid and get under my dryer until it feel 75% dry especially my scalp

3. How long after removing your braids do you wait to relax the hair?It depends on my relaxing goal. Right now I already relaxed 3X this year and I really want to avoid another one until next year. I'm taking my braids out at the end of this month to rebraid 8 weeks later but if I was too relax I would do deep conditioning and protein treatments for at least 6-8 weeks before I relaxed.

4. How long after a relaxer do you wait to redo your braids? Until my new growth is at least 1 inch because if it was relaxed my roots would be too fragile and the extra weight may break it

5. How often do you trim your hair? Whenever my ends begin looking shaggy or I have too many splits

Last edited:

carameldiva

i know this is kinda an old thread but how are u guys washing yor briads (extnsions) w/o them falling out or getting frizzy? i just got my hair in micros and would like too try this method

I wash with diluted shampoo and conditioner and gently massage or I use acv (75% water/25% acv)