Curious Question about tangles and touch-ups

skegeesmb

I've been reading a lot of posts were ladies are saying that when they wait for 8 weeks or longer before a touch-up, they get bad tangles. I'm not doubting you ladies, but I am wondering how are you washing your hair? Are you sink washers or shower washers? When I transitioned for 16 weeks before cutting off my hair I didn't pull no more than the usual amount of hair I do during a wash. But what I did was wash my hair only in the shower and I didn't gather up my hair on the top of my head which does cause a lot of tangles.

I also brushed my hair before I got in the shower to prevent any tangles. I would follow the Cathy Howse way of washing my hair which was to wash my hair and scalp but without using vigorous figure eights like I did when I had a fresh relaxer.

Are any of you washing like that? I'm wondering if this is what is causing the tangles? I'm just really curious, because I never had these tangles that some of you guys have described. Also if you went to the hairdresser before a touch-up that you were stretching out, when they did your hair were there any tangles?

mahogani

hello, what i do i comb my hair back before going in the shower with a WIDE tooth comb then i always wash my hair in the shower i never experience any tangles and rarely no hair comes out i do this even when i due for a perm and when i finally get my perm i still don't get tangles.

princessP28

I'm so glad someone posted this topic...for the past 2 weeks I have been experiencing really bad hair tangles /images/graemlins/frown.gif Nothing seems to work...it started when it was only 6 weeks after my touch up....i have been losing so much hair, all i have to do is touch my ends while wet or dry and at least 200 loooong strands of hair break off everyday /images/graemlins/mad.gif Its so upsetting...I do conditioner washes with pantene smooth and sleek or suave coconut cond. in the shower with my hair tilted with very minimal scalp massaging and this usually works for me...At first i thought i was due for a protein conditioner followed by a moisturzing cond. but the breakage hasnt stopped, i've even tried leaving in my moisturing conditioner longer with olive oil...and i still ended up with tangles...however i dont comb my hair before my wash...i'll try that for my next wash. If you have any other suggestions please reply...thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

princessP28

Umsumayyah,
Can you use any leave in to help you comb out your hair before washing... motions/elasta QP H2? And how come you USED to? This method doesnt work for you anymore? Maybe I misunderstood /images/graemlins/frown.gif

UmSumayyah

Mosty I used to because I just got out of that good habit. Also at the time I was natural and it was extra important to pre-comb before showering. I used to shampoo like they do in the commercials (oh, the ignorance!) and my hair would be WAY too tangled if I didn't comb it out first.
I switched to infusium when I had a $2.00 coupon one day and they were on sale. It lasted so long that I forgot all about the pantene, and kept buying it. (I still have some). Thinking back to the way pantene worked I actually think I liked it better.
Anyway, what I usually do now is to comb out while my hair is saturated with a moisturizing conditioner.
I have only tried Elasta QP, Infusium, and Pantene leave-ins. Since Pantene gave superior detangling when my hair was at its curliest, that is my hands down favorite. Although, to be fair, I have only used the Elasta after my whole shampoo/conditioner routine.
Now that I think of it I am going to try combing out with the elasta before my next shampoo...

Integrity

soemtimes the tangling is a sign that touch up is due and nothing seems to work. it also tells me to handle my hair v gently or it breaks. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

marabou1

Hello Ladies:

Pandora, I think you are right.

After I washed my hair last Monday, my hair was a little tangled and hair was falling out. I thought the breakage was from something I forgot to put in my hair or it was just shedding.

I always do a good job moisturizing my hair, even more so before a touch-up, but nothing was working.

As soon as I got my touch-up on Saturday morning, I haven't seen not even one hair strand fall out (no exageration).

EmeraldSky

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
princessP28 said:
I'm so glad someone posted this topic...for the past 2 weeks I have been experiencing really bad hair tangles. Nothing seems to work..

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="purple">PrincessP28,
I was having the same problems, it was really terrible! Here is what helped, I did a clarifying wash based on Valleygirl's recommendation and it helped a lot, product buildup can cause tangles and breakage. I used L'anza Deep Cleansing shampoo with excellent results, but an ACV rinse might work just as well for you, even though you are doing conditioner washes I think it will help if you do a clarifying shampoo every few weeks.
From my personal experience, I found that I lost almost no hair when I washed with Creme of Nature's detangling shampoo, conditioned with ORS hair mayonnaise under heat cap for 15 min. and then used Keracare's humecto conditioner. I was able to rollerset my hair 13+ weeks since my last relaxer without my usual breakage and tangles. This is the only routine I've found since having problems with tangles that works, the Creme of Nature shampoo and ORS in particular are excellent. </font>

aikaa71

Firstly, thanks for starting this thread.

I just used the aphogee treatment a week ago and still i had shedding and i could not figure out why

Last night , i used a neutralising shampoo(the one to wash out relaxer)as a clarifying shampoo. I followed up with a moisturising shampoo,conditioner and the ACV rinse. NO tangles, only about 5 hairs came out and my roller set took me 15min to do compared to the one i did on sunday that took me 35 min to do(becos of all the tangles).

The reason for my tangles and shedding was not from the new growth (im at week 7)but due to product build up.