Daily Devotion, Daily Wisdom

baddison

natural for good
April 24, 2015

Devotional:

I hastened and did not delay To keep Your commandments.Psalm 119:60 (NASB)

Obedience is faith put into practice. Without action, James 2 reminds us that our faith is not real. So without arguing, let's quickly obey, even when we don't fully understand why because we've seen God's love demonstrated to us in Jesus, and we've seen the protection that his will has for us when we obey him.

Prayer:
O God, give me a heart that is quick to obey and a faith that is quick to express itself in action. I want to please you with my words and thoughts, but even more Father, I want to live a life full of your character, wisdom, and grace. Help me to quickly obey your voice. In the name of Christ Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
A Song of Ascents. How blessed is everyone who fears the LORD, Who walks in His ways.Psalm 128:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 25, 2015

Devotional:

Now faith is the [fn]assurance of things [fn]hoped for, the [fn]conviction of things not seen.Hebrews 11:1 (NASB)

While the road ahead of us may be clouded with questions and concerns, we can look back and see the many ways God has acted in our behalf to get us to the places we need to be. But more than just us, we see his work through history and we can take assurance that his promises are true and his victory in us is assured.

Prayer:
Almighty God, I believe that before there was a world, you existed. I trust that even now you sustain our world with your word of grace. I am confident that before the future arrives you are already there preparing it for us. Help me in those moments when I am not so confident to remember my faith today and to press on trusting that you are there waiting with your grace. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Whoever loves [fn]discipline loves knowledge, But he who hates reproof is stupid.Proverbs 12:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 27, 2015

Devotional:

Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,Hebrews 12:1 (NASB)

With all the great heroes of the Bible, both big and small, we can do God's work with confidence. But to boldly go where he wants us to go, we must first be willing to let go of the sin that entangles our lives, distorts our vision, enlarges our doubts, and robs us of our spiritual vitality and stamina.

Prayer:
Holy Father, forgive me for my sin. Not just my blatant sins, but my willingness to dabble in things that are not holy, to flirt with things that are spiritually dangerous, and to expose myself to things that leave a residue of Satan's world. Give me strength to say no to the things that distract me from you and to embrace with passion those things that make me more like you. In the name of Jesus my Lord I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Be of sober spiritbe on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.1 Peter 5:8 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 28, 2015

Devotional:

I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.Philippians 3:14 (NASB)

The way to walk a tightrope is to keep ones sight on the goal, never looking down to the ground nor over our shoulder at what is behind. The way to walk with Jesus is to keep our eye on the goal, his victory waiting for us when he returns, not on the ground (our failures) and not what is behind (our accomplishments). The goal of the Christian walk is to keep walking toward Jesus until we walk with him in heaven.

Prayer:
Lord, I look forward to the day when you call me by name and walk hand in hand with me. Until that day, help me fix my eyes on what you want me to be and not what I've done. By your grace and in the holy name of Jesus I ask it. Amen.

Wisdom:
For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.Philippians 1:21 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 29, 2015

Devotional:

I will never forget Your precepts, For by them You have [fn]revived me.Psalm 119:93 (NASB)

Much like the rules parents have for young children — don't drink what's under the cabinet, don't play in the street, don't walk out from behind parked cars... — God's guidance is not to restrict us, but to protect us. His commands, both positive and prohibitive, are for our protection and perfection. By them we find life and have it preserved. (The Old Testament Law had all sorts of cleanliness laws that did not make any sense at all until thousands of years after they were written when we began to understand bacteria and viruses. All through these years, the Israelites were preserved by God's command when they had no real understanding why God had given the laws in the first place.)

Prayer:
Holy Lord, help me see your words as life. I know you have given your commands, your will for holiness, to bless me and protect me. Use your Spirit to make my heart less stubborn and my life more nearly conformed to your will. In Jesus' name and by his power I ask it. Amen.

Wisdom:
Therefore if anyone is in Christ, [fn]he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come.2 Corinthians 5:17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 30, 2015

Devotional:

“You are the light of the world. A city set on a [fn]hill cannot be hidden;nor does anyonelight a lamp and put it under a [fn]basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.“Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.Matthew 5:14-16 (NASB)

Our life will not be neutral. We will either point others away from God or show them that allegiance to God is important. Let's make an intentional effort today to shine the light of God's holiness and grace in all we do and say.

Prayer:
O God, may the words of my mouth, the actions of my life, and the influence of my deeds show others your holiness and grace and lead them to acknowledge your majesty and might. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He who tills his land will have plenty of bread, But he who pursues worthless things lacks [fn]sense.Proverbs 12:11 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 1, 2015

Devotional:

But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God,evento those who believe in His name,who were [fn]born, not of [fn]blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.John 1:12-13 (NASB)

We live in a time and culture of rights. "It's my right to ___." Just fill in the blank. But we don't have a right to be God's child. We are given that right by God's grace. This right came to us at great cost to God. Jesus came to earth, lived, died and was raised from the dead. We receive this grace through faith: God gives us new birth as we trust in Jesus as Lord and we are baptized and reborn through the power of the Holy Spirit (John 3:3-7; Titus 3:3-7). To be born of God, to be born from above, to be born "again" is the gift of adoption into God's family and brings us all the rights of heirs in God's house (Galatians 3:26-4:7). So let's not take this grace, this blessing, this adoption, this right for granted! We are God's children right now (1 John 3:1-3). Let's give thanks for this grace and live like we belong.

Prayer:
Abba Father, thank you for including me in your family. May my life reflect your influence, character, mercy, holiness, compassion, righteousness, and love. I want to be like you, my Father. So just as I was born into your family by the power of the Holy Spirit, please fill me with your Spirit so that I will more closely reflect you in all I do and say this day. In the name of my older brother Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Therefore the LORD [fn]longs to be gracious to you, And therefore He [fn]waits on high to have compassion on you. For the LORD is a God of justice; How blessed are all those who [fn]long for Him.Isaiah 30:18 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 2, 2015

Devotional:

You are my hiding place and my shield; I [fn]wait for Your word.Psalm 119:114 (NASB)

Where can we go to remain secure from the onslaught of bad ideas, evil influences, and false hopes? We can go to God and his Word. While people can be disloyal and misguided, God's love is proven through history and through Jesus and his truth stands forever.

Prayer:
Almighty God, you alone are trustworthy. You keep your word and fulfill your promises. Forgive me when I trust my own insight and the wisdom of others rather than seeking your will in your Word. Please give me your wisdom as I seek your will in your Word. In the name of Jesus, your ultimate Word, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“Lift up your eyes to the sky, Then look to the earth beneath; For the sky will vanish like smoke, And the earth will wear out like a garment And its inhabitants will die [fn]in like manner; But My salvation will be forever, And My righteousness will not [fn]wane.Isaiah 51:6 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 4, 2015

Devotional:

But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves.James 1:22 (NASB)

What we know and what we believe are not all that significant if they do not show up in the way we live our daily lives. Pure and simple, faith not lived out in everyday life is not faith; it is facade. Just as Jesus had told us to put into practice what we have learned from him, his brother James reminds us the same thing: when we learn the truth of God's word, there is only one thing left for us to do: put it into practice!

Prayer:
Holy God, help me put into practice what I know is your will and your truth today. In the name of the Lord Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to [fn]rest”—Your poverty will come in like a [fn]vagabond And your need like [fn]an armed man.Proverbs 6:10-11 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 5, 2015

Devotional:

But the LORD said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for [fn]God seesnot as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.”1 Samuel 16:7 (NASB)

Have you ever wondered how many potentially good friends you may have lost simply by judging them on your first impression of them? I'm amazed at how the first impression very seldom tells us much of substance about another person. We're not really going to be able to evaluate people properly until the Lord reveals at judgment what is really in their hearts. Don't you think that we should give them time to reveal what is in their hearts before we make a decision about them?! Let's don't just look on the outward appearance!

Prayer:
Father, you alone know each heart. Please help me be more patient with others before forming an opinion about them. Please give me eyes to see them as Jesus does. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not [fn]ridle his tongue but deceives his [fn]own heart, this man’s religion is worthless.James 1:26 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 6, 2015

Devotional:

Then the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah the second time, while he was still [fn]confined in the court of the guard, saying,“Thus says the LORD who made [fn]the earth, the LORD who formed it to establish it, the LORD is His name,Jeremiah 33:1-2 (NASB)

In a universe of billions of stars, think of the power of God who made them and knows each of their names. Think of all he knows that we don't. Think of all he has seen that is not in our history books. Think of all he has done and can do. Add to this that he invites us to speak to him about the things of our heart and you understand the great expanse of his grace and the very limited knowledge of our minds.

Prayer:
Almighty God, there are so many things about which I am grossly ignorant. There are so many things in my world that I can't keep up. There are so many things about you that I long to know but I can't begin to comprehend. Please, dear Father, give me more of you: Help me know more about you so that I may personally know you more completely. You are beyond me, so please deal gently with me as you reveal yourself. I look forward with anticipation to knowing you face to face in heaven, the Unsearchable and the Almighty God, my Abba Father. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.Galatians 5:16 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 7, 2015

Devotional:

The unfolding of Your words gives light; It gives understanding to the simple.Psalm 119:130 (NASB)

Sometimes the right path is not so difficult to find; we just need to know where to begin our search — the reading of God's words. The right way is very seldom just the property of the bright, wise, and scholarly; it is very clear if we will but look for it!

Prayer:
Holy Father, thank you for making your will known through your words in Scripture. Bless me as I open your Word. May I find not only the answer to my questions, but may I find you and your precious will. In Jesus' precious name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Let your fountain be blessed, And rejoice in the wife of your youth. Asa loving hind and a graceful doe,
Let her breasts satisfy you at all times; Be [fn]exhilarated always with her love.Proverbs 5:18-19 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 8, 2015

Devotional:

The sum of Your word is truth, And every one of Your righteous ordinances is everlasting.Psalm 119:160 (NASB)

The requirements of morality and holiness are not temporary or fleeting because they reflect the nature of our Holy God who is eternal. They don't shift with the wishes of culture, but are true across cultures and times and wishes. We do not adapt God's will to our times, but we redeem our times by adapting our wills to his truth.

Prayer:
Righteous God Almighty, may my life reflect your character and nature in compassion, holiness, and justice. I know you are forever and I want to invest my life in what lasts. Give me wisdom to see through the fleeting temptations of today and to do what honors you beyond my lifetime. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Then he *said to me, “Write, ‘Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.’” And he *said to me, “These are true words of God.”Revelation 19:9 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 9, 2015

Devotional:

For the LORD is our judge, The LORD is our lawgiver, The LORD is our king; He will save us—Isaiah 33:22 (NASB)

When we think about God's being our judge, we normally think of falling into judgment. Isaiah reminds us that God's being our judge means that he will be there to judge us based on his will, his rule, and his grace. He is on our side and is looking to save, not condemn. Using the New Testament idiom, when we stand before our Judge we see instead our Father.

Prayer:
Holy and Righteous Judge, I am glad that my fate, my future, and my life is in your hands. I know about your love for me because of the gift of Jesus. I know about your desire to save me because of your loving grace. I know your demand for holiness is met by the sacrifice of your Son. So God, I gladly and willingly trust my life, my soul, and my eternal future to you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Pursue peace with all men, and the sanctification without which no one will see the Lord.Hebrews 12:14 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 11, 2015

Devotional:

For the LORD takes pleasure in His people; He will beautify the afflicted ones with salvation.Psalm 149:4 (NASB)

Jesus, who left heaven and made himself a servant, did so to enable the last to be first, the servant to be greatest, and the least to be best. For ages, the arrogant, the abusive and the powerful have found it easy to reject the call of Christ — after all he died and they're "important" and have no need for a Savior. But those who are humble find him to not only be Savior, but also Conqueror, King, and Friend.

Prayer:
Precious Servant, Almighty King, thank you for coming to our world and serving us at great cost and showing us that we can reign with you. I look forward to the day every other knee will join mine as I bow before you as my Lord. Until that day, I pray that you will use me to bless those so often forgotten by our busy and glamour-intoxicated world. To our God be glory and praise for sending you, Jesus my Lord. In the holy name of Jesus I offer my praise. Amen.

Wisdom:
Keep your behavior excellent among the Gentiles, so that in the thing in which they slander you as evildoers, they may [fn]because of your good deeds, as they observethemglorify God in the day of [fn]visitation.1 Peter 2:12 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 12, 2015

Devotional:

“Are not five sparrows sold for two [fn]cents? Yetnot one of them is forgotten before God.“Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.Luke 12:6-7 (NASB)

In a universe so vast, what is our little planet? In a planet so diverse and so full of life, what are simple everyday people? Among all the billions of people alive and who have lived before us, what significance do I have? Jesus reminds us that our significance is great — not because we are so important, but because we are known personally by God. We don't have to be afraid; we are known and loved by the One who is and was and is to come!

Prayer:
Eternal God, Almighty Father, Tender Shepherd, you already know my heart. You know where I struggle with sin; please empower and forgive me. You know my fears; please encourage and strengthen me. You know my immaturity; please nurture and mature me. You know my weakness and disease, please comfort and heal me. Holy God, I am both awed and comforted that you know me and love me. Thank you! In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.“But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal;for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.Matthew 6:19-21 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 13, 2015

Devotional:

For the choir director. A Psalmof the sons of Korah, [fn]set to Alamoth. A Song. God is our refuge and strength, [fn]a very present help in [fn]trouble.Psalm 46:1 (NASB)

Where can we go when all the walls fall and all the armies crumble and all hope is lost? To the eternal God, who is our Father. He preserved Israel through the most difficult of times, protected the Bible from those who would eradicate it, and has led his Church through troubles and triumphs through the centuries. He will do the same with us until he brings us home to himself.

Prayer:
My Rock, My Hope and My Protector, I thank you for preserving my life. I thank you for hearing my cries for help and healing. I thank you for guiding my feet into ways that have been a blessing. Please, O God, stay close by as I face the stresses and challenges in my life. Through your Spirit, enable me to grow and be an example to others as I pass through life's storm. In the name of Jesus, my Savior and Lord, I ask it. Amen.

Wisdom:
[fn]Conduct yourselves with wisdom toward outsiders, [fn]making the most of the opportunity.Colossians 4:5 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 14, 2015

Devotional:

I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies, [fn]As much as in all riches.Psalm 119:14 (NASB)

Our treasure and our truth come from Scripture. Scripture is God's guidance for us on how to avoid Satan's harmful traps and to live God's blessed life. Rather than seeing God's Word as limiting, we need to see it as a gift of love and to value it more highly than riches.

Prayer:
Holy God, thank you for your written Word, your people's Scripture. May your truth come alive in my life just as it does in my heart and mind. In the name of your Son Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
but [fn]sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always beingready to make a [fn]defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and [fn]reverence;1 Peter 3:15 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 15, 2015

Devotional:

Or do you not know that your body is a [fn]temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from [fn]God, and that you are not your own? For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (NASB)

We are God's temple! God lives in us. What we do in our bodies is part of our worship to him. We are called to not only abstain from impurity, but we are called to glorify God in our bodies and honor the sacrifice by which our holiness was bought.

Prayer:
Father, I confess to you that I sometimes lose sight of how precious my body is to you. With aging and the other challenges that daily remind me that my body is a vessel of decay, I find it hard to believe that I can glorify you with it. Please, through your indwelling Spirit, quicken in me a deeper reverence and appreciation of your presence in me. In the name of Jesus, my atoning sacrifice, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The righteous will never be shaken, But the wicked will not dwell in the land.Proverbs 10:30 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 16, 2015

Devotional:

For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.Ephesians 2:10 (NASB)

The Psalmist reminded us that we are fearfully and wonderfully made and God has something definite planned for us to do while we are here. We display his craftsmanship and skill when we intentionally live for him and not like the rest of the world.

Prayer:
Master, teach me to recognize your opportunities and your will when they come into my life. I want to live for you without reservation. I pray for boldness to not be shy in sharing my faith. I pray for patience as I wait for folks to respond. I pray for protection on those close to coming to Christ. I pray not for me but for your Kingdom to be displayed in my life. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
from the same mouth come bothblessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be this way.Does a fountain send out from the same opening both [fn]fresh and bitter water?James 3:10-11 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 18, 2015

Devotional:

for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s.Romans 14:8 (NASB)

One of the incredible realizations we have as Christians is that our relationship with the Lord is eternal. As we seek after him, he is always there and no one can separate us from his love. Even when we die, we go to "be with the Lord." When we sleep in death, we are still "in the Lord." When he returns in glory we will go to "be with the Lord forever." Everything we have on earth is temporary except our love for the Lord Jesus, our praise of God through him, and our friends with whom we share that love and praise!

Prayer:
Almighty God, thank you so much for binding yourself to our world in Jesus and binding me close to you through his lordship in my life. I look forward to the day when the Lord I kneel to worship today will be recognized by all the living and the dead as the One True Lord. I commit to live this day to honor him, and I know dear Father, that by honoring him I honor you. I praise and thank you for the gift of Jesus' eternal and abiding lordship in the name of the Christ my Lord. Amen.

Wisdom:
Seek the LORD and His strength; Seek His face continually.Psalm 105:4 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 19, 2015

Devotional:

Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.2 Corinthians 7:1 (NASB)

In a world so full of distractions and temptations, purity is difficult. Even more than difficult, the call to purity often goes forgotten and ignored. "Cheap grace" (Jude 4) is substituted for a call to passionate living. While we never want to give in to a works righteousness, we also must remember that impurity through laziness or lack of commitment or simple rebellion are contaminating to those claiming to be Christians and ruin our influence before the watching world.

Prayer:
Purify my heart, my life, my body, my influence, O God. May my words and my thoughts be blameless in your sight. I want to be holy as you are holy and honor you as only you are worthy of honor. You alone are God! Through Jesus I ask it. Amen.

Wisdom:
“So you shall keep His statutes and His commandments which I am [fn]giving you today, that it may go well with you and with your children after you, and that you may [fn]live long on the land which the LORD your God is giving you for all time.”Deuteronomy 4:40 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 20, 2015

Devotional:

But HE WHO BOAST IS TO BOAST IN THE LORD For it is not he who commends himself that is approved, but he whom the Lord commends.2 Corinthians 10:17-18 (NASB)

We live in a world with skewed values, false promises and fleeting fame. What can we boast in other than the steadfastness of the Lord's love, the incredible riches of the Lord's grace, the incomparable supply of the Lord's blessings, the sweetness of the Lord's people, the mercy of the Lord's plan for our salvation, the promise of the Lord's tomorrow, the.....? What other meaningful boast is there than the Lord and his eternal grace?

Prayer:
Lord of majesty and mercy, every good and enduring thing in my life I have because of you. While these words are simple, they are heartfelt. In Jesus' name, thank you!

Wisdom:
But do not let this one factescape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day.2 Peter 3:8 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 21, 2015

Devotional:

For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.Philipians 1:21 (NASB)

The truth is often as simple as it is sweet — if Jesus is our life, then our lives have no end. Death does not strip life from us, but ushers us into life in Jesus' very presence!

Prayer:
Eternal God, thank you for sending Jesus to show me your love and thank you for sending him again soon to take me home. He is my anchor in the storms of life and my light in the darkest nights reminding me that you love me with an undying love. In the name of Jesus, the Resurrection and the Life, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who [fn]are perishing, but to us who [fn]are being saved it is the power of God.1 Corinthians 1:18 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 22, 2015

Devotional:

He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life.1 John 5:12 (NASB)

This statement is both a reminder of God's glorious grace and also of our need to share that grace with others. Life is such a precious gift, it would be a shame for anyone we know and love to miss out. God gave up the life of his Son so that in finding him, we too could share in his life.

Prayer:
Father of all nations, resurrect in your people a desire to spread your grace to every language, tribe, nation, and people. Empower us with your Spirit so that we will speak the Gospel of Jesus with boldness and respect to a world who does not know him. Use us to help others come to life in the Son! Through the name of Jesus your Son, we pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
For it is written, “AS I LIVE, SAYS THE LORD, EVERY KNEE SHALL BOW TO ME, AND EVERY TONGUE SHALL [FN]GIVE PRAISE TO GOD,”Romans 14:11 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 23, 2015

Devotional:

I have set the LORD continually before me; Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.Psalm 16:8 (NASB)

There are many things that can trouble our lives, but none that can shake us loose from the grip of God's grace if our hearts remain pointed at Jesus as our Lord and our hope remains focused on the Lord's return. If Jesus is our Lord, then all of life's greatest blessings lie ahead of us and he will let nothing rob us of this coming glory!

Prayer:
Holy Lord, you are worthy of majesty, honor, and praise. I lift up your name, O God, and place it above every name. As I look to the future, I want to honor you and I want to journey with you there. Since I believe you will never leave or forsake me, I will always look ahead to find you leading the way. Through Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF,” Galatians 5:14 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 25, 2015

Devotional:

The LORD will command His lovingkindness in the daytime; And His song will be with me in the night, A prayer to the God of my life.Psalm 42:8 (NASB)

I have always loved music. To this day, songs help unlock the part of me that is most yielded to God. It helps me declare my love for him and my praise to him. But as the psalmist says, at night, especially on those nights when sleep is hard to come by, his song is with me.

Prayer:
O God of my life, thank you for music and song. Thank you for giving me so many good things to sing joyfully about. Thank you for hearing my heart when I sing and not just my words and the song's melody. I long, dear Father, for the day I get to hear you sing and I join the heavenly chorus around your throne. Until then, fill my life with your song. Through Jesus' name I ask it. Amen.

Wisdom:
Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is [fn]lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, [fn]dwell on these things.Philippians 4:8 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 26, 2015

Devotional:

He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things?Romans 8:32 (NASB)

If God gave up his Son to save us, what would he not give up to bless us and keep us! That's Paul's point. In 1 Corinthians 6:19-20, he tells us we are bought with a price to encourage us toward holiness. Here, he makes the same point, but to give us assurance. Isn't it amazing how the truth of God's grace contains such a multifaceted blessing.

Prayer:
Almighty God, I am overwhelmed at your sacrificial love offered to me in Jesus. Father, please use your Spirit to stir me to service in response to your grace and have this Comforter build my assurance in your salvation and in your longing to give me your rich blessings. In Jesus' glorious name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
[fn]An evil man is ensnared by the transgression of his lips, But the righteous will escape from trouble.Proverbs 12:13 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 27, 2015

Devotional:

If I should say, “My foot has slipped,” Your lovingkindness, O LORD, will hold me up. When my anxious thoughts [fn]multiply within me, Your consolations delight my soul. Psalm 94:18-19 (NASB)

We are amazed at the vastness of God's reach, the awesome breadth of his power, and the glorious sweep of his majesty. An additional truth, incredible as it may seem, is God's personal nearness to us. He chooses to know us and be actively involved in the trials and triumphs we face each day. How will today, or tomorrow, be different because you are aware of his presence and companionship? What difference does it make to know he supports you when your foot slips or that his consolation is nearby when anxiety rises?

Prayer:
Loving God, who is everywhere yet always near, please hear my heart. I am overwhelmed at your presence near me and within me. The comfort you bring when I am under siege, the strength you offer when I am weak, the courage you give when I am under attack, and the hope you instill when all seems hopeless — these gifts of your presence are precious to me. Without your presence I would not know where to go or why I am here. Thank you for knowing me. I look forward to knowing you one day as you know me today. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The one who says he is in the Light and you hates his brother is in the darkness until now.1 John 2:9 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 28, 2015

Devotional:

I love the LORD, because He hears My voice andmy supplications.Because He has inclined His ear to me, Therefore I shall call upon Himas long as I live.Psalm 116:1-2 (NASB)

Understanding the Lord's love, presence, and nearness should lead us to serve him and to deepen our relationship with him. While we love God for many reasons, we want to express our love to him today especially for his personal concern for us. In a world where important people refuse to spend time with those "beneath" them, we are truly blessed with an incomparable God who listens to our every cry, recognizes our very own distinct voice, and tunes his ear to hear every one of our whispers. Yes! I will call on him, praise him, thank him, confess to him, and speak with him as long as I live!

Prayer:
Father, you know each hair on my head and every thought on my heart. Thank you for hearing my prayers. Thank you for answering so many of them with the answer I sought from you. Give me patience when I cannot see your hand in the other answers that do not come as soon or do not bear the result that I request. I believe and trust that you are there and working for my good even when I can't see it. I believe you always answer to your glory and my best interest. But please, dear Father, strengthen my faith so that I will never outlive my trust and faith in you. In the name of Jesus I ask it. Amen.

Wisdom:
Jesus *said to him, “Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yetbelieved.”John 20:29 (NASB)