Daily Devotion, Daily Wisdom

baddison

natural for good
April 14, 2010

Devotional:
Seek good, and not evil, that ye may live: and so the LORD, the God of hosts, shall be with you, as ye have spoken. Hate the evil, and love the good, and establish judgment in the gate: it may be that the LORD God of hosts will be gracious unto the remnant of Joseph. Amos 5:14-15 (KJV)
A whole bunch of folks claim that God is on their side. In reality, the important question is whether we are on God's side! That's determined more by what we seek and do rather than what we think and say. God longs to be with us, but he will not sacrifice his character to extend us cheap grace -- a grace that does not call us to be like him and live with Jesus as our Lord. He's looking for believers who put their character where their mouths are and work to bring goodness to their world, culture, and legal systems.

PRAYER:
Most Holy God, your righteousness and holiness are beyond me. I know that my best efforts are only vain attempts to attain them. Yet I long, dear Father, to be more like you in every way that it is humanly possible. Let me know of your presence with me as I seek after you, your character, and your goodness in my life. Teach me to be revolted by the things you call evil. In the name of Jesus the Righteous One I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, Ephesians 3:16-17 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 15, 2010

Devotional:
Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
Matthew 6:19-20 (KJV)
Where do you hide your heart? What we most value is where we will find our heart. So it is an important question. You see, we can treasure riches, control, security, and relationships. Jesus reminds us that it is only by turning loose of the things that most of us keep as our treasures that we find what is truly treasure indeed.

PRAYER:
Majestic Father, I pray that out of the riches of your grace, you may help me find my treasure in you and nothing else. Today, I want to offer you all that I am and have, so that my life will be lived for your glory. In the name of Jesus, my example and treasure I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
So God created man in his [own] image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. Genesis 1:27 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 16, 2010

Devotional:
But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
1 Peter 1:15-16 (KJV)
"Holy" is one of those words we generally associate with the "stained glass ghetto" -- a word only "church folks" use. That may be true, but it's still a great concept. Every kid knows that you don't eat hot dogs and potato chips on china. Mom's china is reserved for "special company" or "special occasions." Hot dogs are for paper plates and every day, china is for special events. When God is calling us to be holy, he's calling us to be china -- something special just for him, and as Peter emphasizes, just like him.

PRAYER:
Holy Lord, God Almighty, I come before you knowing how great the distance is between your holiness and my commonness. I thank you for making me holy through the sacrifice of Jesus and by sending your Holy Spirit to live inside of me. Please receive my life today as a holy offering to you. I pray in the name of Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of my faith. Amen.

Wisdom:
How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them! Psalm 139:17 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 17, 2010

Devotional:
I called upon the LORD in distress: the LORD answered me, [and set me] in a large place. The LORD [is] on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me? Psalm 118:5-6 (KJV)
The first four months of the year have been a trying time for people I care about. Maybe it's been that way for you or those you love. My prayer for you, and for them, is that they may know the comfort of God's presence. Whether it's the popular little poem "Footprints" or the familiar "Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for thou art with me," the presence of the Lord is absolutely vital to standing up against our anguish! The Lord does long to be with us, especially at those moments when we feel most alone. He told us that by experiencing anguish, alone, by himself on the cross.

PRAYER:
I am thankful, O God, that you refused to be God from a safe distance. Because you came and felt what it was like to be abandoned, forsaken, and alone, I know I can trust that I will never be forsaken by you. Please give me a clearer sense of your presence with me in my life today, I pray through Jesus. Amen.

Wisdom:
Great [is] the LORD, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness [is] unsearchable. Psalm 145:3 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 19, 2010

Devotional:
For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. And if ye [be] Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise. Galatians 3:26-29 (KJV)
One. Basic, simple, and easy to understand. When we become Christians through faith and baptism into Christ, we are made one with all other Christians around the world. Race, gender, and social status are gone. All that's left is One, the One, Jesus. Our lives are his and thus are connected to each other. Our destination is the same, heaven. Our family is the church. No barriers. No closed doors. We are one.

PRAYER:
Abba Father, thank you for adopting me into your family. May we be one on earth now, as we will be when we are all together around your throne in heaven. I pray for unity among all those who call upon your name and share your Spirit so the world may know there is a solution to conflict, strife and division. Through Jesus our Savior, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
And all things [are] of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation. 2 Corinthians 5:18-19 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 20, 2010

Devotional:
To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation. Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech [you] by us: we pray [you] in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God. 2 Corinthians 5:19-20 (KJV)
The price has been paid. The ransom is provided. God's judgment was averted, not because of anything we did to appease him, but by his own sacrifice of Jesus for our sins. If God has gone to such great links to reconcile us to himself and adopt us into his family, how can we refuse? We must not! Father God, we offer you our hearts!

PRAYER:
O Gracious God, I know my sin has broken your heart and offended your holiness. Words, therefore, cannot communicate my thankfulness to you. You were hurt by my sin and yet provided a sacrifice to redeem me from it and reconcile me back to you. I praise you for your grace, thank you for your love, and promise to share your mercy. Through Jesus my sacrifice I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;
Hebrews 3:1 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 21, 2010

Devotional:
If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also. 1 John 4:20-21 (KJV)
Love! The word can mean anything. Many in the Christian community have tried to define it by a dictionary or lexicon, not realizing the key word for love, agape, is defined by action. Before Christians got a hold of agape, it meant the same thing our word today does: just about anything! But if you read 1 John, you see what love is by what God does. God demonstrates his love. He asks us to do the same for our brothers and sisters. Love must be more than talk; it must be genuinely demonstrated in action!

PRAYER:
Precious Father, you have so graciously shared your love with me. I must confess, in my heart I intend to love others as you do, but my intentions often get washed away with "busy-ness" or timidity. Father, through your Spirit, prompt me to show my love to others in actions rather than just thought and talk. Through Jesus, your greatest demonstration of love I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. James 1:17 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 22, 2010

Devotional:
Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, [then] are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. John 8:31-32 (KJV)
There are few things more coveted than freedom. People die for it. People pray for it. People strive for it. True freedom comes from knowing truth. Knowing truth ultimately comes by living in obedience to Jesus. Truth is not just something you think about or believe. Truth is something you do, you live. Jesus' teaching often ends with the exclamation: Blessed are you who do these things! Only by doing will we ever know the truth that liberates us.

PRAYER:
To the only true God be glory, honor, power and praise. Father I seek not only your presence in my daily life, but also your pleasure in the choices I make. Please teach me more of your truth as I pledge to live today in obedience to your word and your will. Through Jesus the living Word I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
For all the gods of the nations [are] idols: but the LORD made the heavens. Psalm 96:5 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 23, 2010

Devotional:
[This] I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. Galatians 5:16 (KJV)
I don't want you to think about an orange rhinoceros flying with blue wings. Now quit. I don't want you to think about it anymore. You know there is no such thing as an orange rhino that flies, much less one that flies on blue wings. Of course the point is simple: the more we try to not do something, the more we focus on it and insure we do what we are not supposed to do. That's why the gift of the Holy Spirit is so important. He enables and empowers us to move beyond our sin -- not by focusing on it and refusing it, but by enriching us and "distracting" us with the important things of God.

PRAYER:
Abba Father, I thank you so much for your Holy Spirit that lives in me and is now interceding with you for me. Please fill me with your Spirit so that my life more nearly reflects your will and focuses on your concerns. Through Jesus, who poured out your Spirit upon me at my baptism, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
[Let] love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. Romans 12:9 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 24, 2010

Devotional:
Do all things without murmurings and disputings: That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain. Philippians 2:14-16 (KJV)
Stars. They've always been a source of constant hope for God's people. "Your descendants will be like the stars," God told Abraham. "When I see the stars, what is man that you are mindful of him?" the Psalms ask. The Wise men from the East followed a star to Jesus. Luke reminds us that Jesus was a star of morning light come to us from heaven to shine on those in darkness. And now, we're stars. God's points of light in the dark sky of the universe. So let's make today a day where our light shines God's glory to a dark world around us.

PRAYER:
Almighty God, the incredible expanse of your universe, with its billions of stars, exceeds my limited comprehension. But I thank you for calling me to be a place of light in the dark world around me and I pledge to shine your light today in the lives of all those I might. Through the name of the Bright and Morning Star I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it. Acts 2:24 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 26, 2010

Devotional:
There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God [is] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear [it]. 1 Corinthians 10:13 (KJV)
TEMPTATION ... We've all been there. Satan's silver bullet designed just for us personally. "No one will ever know; besides it won't hurt anybody!" some mysterious voice sounding like our own whispers. Even if those two statements were true, and they never really are, it would matter because something inside of us caved in to what we knew was wrong. One line of defense is to simply remind ourselves we are not alone in this temptation -- others have faced it and conquered it, so we can too, by God's help and the power of his Holy Spirit.

PRAYER:
Most Holy Father, guard my heart from temptation and my life from sin. I want to serve you with wholehearted devotion. Forgive me for my past sin, and by your grace and through your word, strengthen me with your Holy Spirit so that I may overcome the temptations that Satan uses to separate me from you. Through my Protector and Redeemer I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee. Proverbs 4:6 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 27, 2010

Devotional:
Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets. Matthew 7:12 (KJV)
The Golden Rule -- golden because it's genuine, lasting, and valuable. Imagine how different our world would be if we practiced this principle -- not just in our "church life," but in our daily life ... with our family, ... with our coworkers and employer, ... with the people we manage, ... with the folks on the freeway and in the neighborhoods where we drive, ... toward the waiters and waitresses who serve us. What a wonderfully different world it would be if the Golden Rule were to be practiced. I think I'll start changing my world with it today! How about you?

PRAYER:
Generous Father, you have blessed me with so many rich and wonderful gifts. I can never ever adequately express to you the thanks you deserve. One thing I want you to know, dear Father, is that I especially appreciate the way you have treated me with grace and not with justice or judgment. Give me the power to do the same with the people my life touches this week. In Jesus' name I pray.
Amen.

Wisdom:
Go from the presence of a foolish man, when thou perceivest not [in him] the lips of knowledge. Proverbs 14:7 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 28, 2010

Devotional:
My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing [this], that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
James 1:2-3 (KJV)
"Hang in there!" There are few traits more important than perseverance. Most important accomplishments in life happen because of perseverance. Most "luck" occurs when we've persevered long enough for the "magical moment" to come along -- in other words, I don't believe in luck. Edison said it best: life's greatest feats, the world's greatest discoveries, his own most fantastic inventions are "1% inspiration and 99% perspiration." "Hang in there!" and see the glory of God come through in you, not because of luck, but because of God's grace, love, and Providence!

PRAYER:
Unchangeable and Unshakeable God, through the friends you have sent into my life and by the power of your gift, the Holy Spirit, help me to stand up under trial and prove my character true with perseverance when under fire. Give my faith courage and endurance so that my life shows forth your enduring strength. I pray in the name of him who remained faithful even unto death, Jesus Christ my Lord. Amen.

Wisdom:
The fear of the LORD [is] to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate. Proverbs 8:13 (KJV)

mezzogirl

April 27, 2010

Devotional:
Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets. Matthew 7:12 (KJV)
The Golden Rule -- golden because it's genuine, lasting, and valuable. Imagine how different our world would be if we practiced this principle -- not just in our "church life," but in our daily life ... with our family, ... with our coworkers and employer, ... with the people we manage, ... with the folks on the freeway and in the neighborhoods where we drive, ... toward the waiters and waitresses who serve us. What a wonderfully different world it would be if the Golden Rule were to be practiced. I think I'll start changing my world with it today! How about you?

PRAYER:
Generous Father, you have blessed me with so many rich and wonderful gifts. I can never ever adequately express to you the thanks you deserve. One thing I want you to know, dear Father, is that I especially appreciate the way you have treated me with grace and not with justice or judgment. Give me the power to do the same with the people my life touches this week. In Jesus' name I pray.
Amen.

Wisdom:
Go from the presence of a foolish man, when thou perceivest not [in him] the lips of knowledge. Proverbs 14:7 (KJV)

I have a couple of co-workers that sometimes operate in foolishness (basically their words) but always come around. How would you encourage them to not be in your presence so much (without causing hurt or hostility)?

baddison

natural for good
I have a couple of co-workers that sometimes operate in foolishness (basically their words) but always come around. How would you encourage them to not be in your presence so much (without causing hurt or hostility)?

This is a great question, mezzogirl. Sometimes because of who we are, others are drawn to us. Keep in mind that light tends to attract! Sometimes light attracts insects and bugs, sometimes light attracts animals....its just nature.

What I do, when others find themselves in my presence, is try to lead the conversation in constructive and positive topics. Those who are interested and perhaps need more encouragment, will stick around to hear more. Those who are otherwise-minded will soon find a way to excuse themselves away from you...believe me! Alternately, if I am "outnumbered" by those who "operate in foolishness", then I am surely the one who will find a way to excuse myself from their presence.

You don't have to be unkind or insulting. Sometimes its not WHAT you say, but HOW you say it. Excuse yourself in the kindest way you know how. Hope this helps......it works for me.:yep:

Last edited:

baddison

natural for good
April 29, 2010

Devotional:
Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. Galatians 6:7-8 (KJV)
Isn't it incredible how huge trees grow out of tiny seeds! This principle runs throughout all of life. We can never completely get away from the seeds we sow. So let's don't try to fool ourselves while we're trying to do a "snow job" on God. Let's make sure the seeds we sow are the ones we want sprouting up!

PRAYER:
O Eternal God, who lived before time began and who will be the Great I AM when time is no more, bless the seeds I sow that they may bear fruit to you and bless those I love. Through Jesus, the grain of wheat who died and was buried so that true life may flower forth. Amen.

Wisdom:
By humility [and] the fear of the LORD [are] riches, and honour, and life. Proverbs 22:4 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 30, 2010

Devotional:
Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. Matthew 7:7-8 (KJV)
Ask! So often we're afraid to ask for help because we have to admit we don't have the answers. Seek! Effort and interest and perseverance are necessary and that's sometimes hard. Knock! In an era of doorbells, this is a forgotten action. But God wants us to use the A.S.K. principle and bring our hearts before him. So let's don't just whine, complain, desire, and want. Let's A.S.K. our Father and seek his glory.

PRAYER:
Waiting Father, I am sorry that so often you only hear my whines and complaints and concerns. You have been so generous with your love. Help me to keep my heart set on you and your will today as I ask you to minister to the things on my heart. Through Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Through wisdom is an house builded; and by understanding it is established: Proverbs 24:3 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 1, 2010

Devotional:
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all [men] liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. James 1:5 (KJV)
Wisdom is that elusive quality we respect in others and find so difficult to develop in ourselves. Yet God promises it to those who really ask. But remember the secret of ASKing -- asking, seeking, and knocking. Or better yet, check out Proverbs 2. Wisdom is ours only if we seek it above all other possessions and value it above all other diversions. God longs to impart it, but there is something about spiritual wisdom that demands we value it before we can receive it.

PRAYER:
Gracious giver of all good gifts, please bless me with wisdom throughout my remaining life and especially today. Let me reflect your will and live for your glory in all my decisions. Let your Kingdom guide my heart as I make my choices and seek to have your Spirit lead me in your ways. I confess, Father, that I cannot guide my own steps without your help, so please grant me wisdom for each day. I pray in Jesus name. Amen.

Wisdom:
The hoary head [is] a crown of glory, [if] it be found in the way of righteousness. Proverbs 16:31 (KJV)

Butterfly08

April 23, 2010

Devotional:
[This] I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. Galatians 5:16 (KJV)
I don't want you to think about an orange rhinoceros flying with blue wings. Now quit. I don't want you to think about it anymore. You know there is no such thing as an orange rhino that flies, much less one that flies on blue wings. Of course the point is simple: the more we try to not do something, the more we focus on it and insure we do what we are not supposed to do. That's why the gift of the Holy Spirit is so important. He enables and empowers us to move beyond our sin -- not by focusing on it and refusing it, but by enriching us and "distracting" us with the important things of God.

PRAYER:
Abba Father, I thank you so much for your Holy Spirit that lives in me and is now interceding with you for me. Please fill me with your Spirit so that my life more nearly reflects your will and focuses on your concerns. Through Jesus, who poured out your Spirit upon me at my baptism, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
[Let] love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. Romans 12:9 (KJV)

This devotional is so profound. :yep: We are tempted to focus on what we should NOT be doing, instead of on the God who is able to keep us from falling back into sin. I will apply this concept into my life starting with today. :yep:

mezzogirl

This is a great question, mezzogirl. Sometimes because of who we are, others are drawn to us. Keep in mind that light tends to attract! Sometimes light attracts insects and bugs, sometimes light attracts animals....its just nature.

What I do, when others find themselves in my presence, is try to lead the conversation in constructive and positive topics. Those who are interested and perhaps need more encouragment, will stick around to hear more. Those who are otherwise-minded will soon find a way to excuse themselves away from you...believe me! Alternately, if I am "outnumbered" by those who "operate in foolishness", then I am surely the one who will find a way to excuse myself from their presence.

You don't have to be unkind or insulting. Sometimes its not WHAT you say, but HOW you say it. Excuse yourself in the kindest way you know how. Hope this helps......it works for me.:yep:

THANKS! GREAT ANSWER.

baddison

natural for good
May 3, 2010

Devotional:
Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. Galatians 6:1 (KJV)
In a day when intervening in someone's life is no longer politically and socially correct, these verses ring out like a gunshot on a still night. Sin is still real and is just as deadly as ever. Yet because we fear being branded judgmental and self-righteous, we let many who are trapped by sin go to their spiritual deaths. The call is for nonjudgmental intervention -- we recognize the gravity of the sin and the need of the sinner, without feeling arrogant in our righteousness. "There but for the grace of God go I."

PRAYER:
Father, forgive my sins as I forgive those who have sinned against me. But Father, also help my heart to be gripped by the gravity of sin's effects and to be stirred into action to help those whom it has trapped. Through Jesus, who came to rescue me from my sin, I pray. Amen

Wisdom:
Poverty and shame [shall be to] him that refuseth instruction: but he that regardeth reproof shall be honoured. Proverbs 13:18 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 4, 2010

Devotional:
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things. Philippians 4:8 (KJV)
Our actions follow our thoughts like a heat seeking missile follows the exhaust of a jet fighter's engine. So in a day when so much around us trains us to find the negative in life, we must aggressively think and pursue the character, the qualities, and the things of God's goodness.

PRAYER:
Holy and Magnificent God, thank you for being better than anything my world can offer me. Thank you for calling me to a higher standard than the world accepts. Thank you for giving me the promise of a better future than any human can imagine. Thank you for giving me a high calling to live up to you. In Jesus' holy name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes. Proverbs 13:24 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 5, 2010

Devotional:
Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse [your] hands, [ye] sinners; and purify [your] hearts, [ye] double minded.
James 4:8 (KJV)
Humble yourselves. That sounds obscene. At least to the "get ahead at all cost" and "don't look back because the competition is gaining on you" culture of self-promotion, it sounds obscene. Humility is a forgotten virtue. Often confused with weakness or timidity, humility is about knowing our proper place in the world without flaunting it. Only God can exalt in a permanent way, so the key is to know our place before him and let him put us in the place he chooses.

PRAYER:
Abba Father, Most Holy God, thank you for allowing me into your presence. When I think of all that you have done, the incredible universe you have made and hold together by your word, I am amazed you invite me into your presence. I am amazed that you even care about my choice of words. Thank you for knowing me and having a plan for my life. Help me to live each day with humility and grace before others as I seek to glorify you in all things. Through Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He that despiseth his neighbour sinneth: but he that hath mercy on the poor, happy [is] he. Proverbs 14:21 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 6, 2010

Devotional:
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high [places]. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Ephesians 6:12-13 (KJV)
How often do your forget that we are in a spiritual war? Our enemy is deceptively cunning - take away the immediacy of a threat and the danger appears gone. But he's there, always. But rather than try to guess his plans, Paul reminds us to simply take up the tools God has given us and stand up to the evil one. When we are persecuted, remember, it’s not the person and it’s not personal, it’s just Satan trying to distract us. Satan is trying to get us to deflect our attention from him to the person attacking us.

PRAYER:
Lord of Hosts, my Great Deliverer, protect me from the evil one by your great power. Give me a sense of urgency as I face Satan and his schemes on a daily basis, but also give me confidence that Jesus has already defeated my foe. Help me to stand against this foe and show myself faithful to you. Through Jesus my Lord and Savior I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The liberal soul shall be made fat: and he that watereth shall be watered also himself. Proverbs 11:25 (KJV)

Butterfly08

May 4, 2010

Devotional:
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things. Philippians 4:8 (KJV)
Our actions follow our thoughts like a heat seeking missile follows the exhaust of a jet fighter's engine. So in a day when so much around us trains us to find the negative in life, we must aggressively think and pursue the character, the qualities, and the things of God's goodness.

PRAYER:
Holy and Magnificent God, thank you for being better than anything my world can offer me. Thank you for calling me to a higher standard than the world accepts. Thank you for giving me the promise of a better future than any human can imagine. Thank you for giving me a high calling to live up to you. In Jesus' holy name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes. Proverbs 13:24 (KJV)

Amen, I needed to hear this one today. My thoughts have been slipping and I need to refocus on the Father. :yep:

baddison

natural for good
May 7, 2010

Devotional:
God [is] a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship [him] in spirit and in truth. John 4:24 (KJV)
Genuine worship is a gift. Since God is spirit, since he is holy, we cannot fully approach him without the gift and blessing of his Holy Spirit. As Christians who received his Spirit when we were baptized into Christ and born of God, we can now speak to him and worship him Spirit to Spirit.

PRAYER:
Abba Father, by the gift of your Spirit I come to you as your child. Thank you so much for giving me your Spirit so that I can approach you with confidence and know you hear the concerns of my heart. Please accept the worship of my heart, of my words, and of my actions. May the things I do each day bring you glory. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He that hath a bountiful eye shall be blessed; for he giveth of his bread to the poor. Proverbs 22:9 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 8, 2010

Devotional:
And he sat down, and called the twelve, and saith unto them, If any man desire to be first, [the same] shall be last of all, and servant of all. Mark 9:35 (KJV)
Last? Nobody likes to be last. We have a hard enough time settling for second place, much less last place. Jesus reverses the rank. The person who is most important to him is not the person seeking the status and notoriety. The most important person is like Jesus himself: willing to give up rank and status and importance to serve. For Jesus, last means first in service and first in the eyes of God.

PRAYER:
Magnificent God my Savior, you have made the world wonderful for me and have given your Son to redeem me. How can I ever thank you or repay you for your grace and kindness? Help me serve others with grace and kindness. Give me eyes to see people as you do; not judging by mere appearances, but valuing, serving, and treating people as Jesus does. I pray in the name of the Lord Jesus, the one who washed his disciples' feet. Amen.

Wisdom:
The fear of the LORD [tendeth] to life: and [he that hath it] shall abide satisfied; he shall not be visited with evil. Proverbs 19:23 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 10, 2010

Devotional:
With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; Ephesians 4:2 (KJV)
"You mean I have to put up with that!?" There are those folks in life about whom the saying is true: "They are the grit out of which we are to fashion our pearl." But our great example in this challenge is Jesus. Think of what he had to put up with in his 12 disciples. Remember how transformational his patience and gentleness with them was. Can we dare to do less?

PRAYER:
Give me strength and patience, O God, that I may be as loving, gentle and patient with others as Jesus was with people during his earthly ministry and you have been with me. In the name of Jesus, my Lord and hero I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
All the days of the afflicted [are] evil: but he that is of a merry heart [hath] a continual feast. Proverbs 15:15 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 11, 2010

Devotional:
For thou, Lord, [art] good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee. Psalm 86:5 (KJV)
Forgiveness is such a sweet blessing. But God does more than forgive! He cleanses and forgets. His love is not metered out or carefully rationed. He pours love upon us if we genuinely seek him as our God and Father. So let's cry out and ask for God's forgiveness and praise the mighty and holy name of The Almighty, confidently knowing that our Father longs to bless us with goodness, mercy, and love.

PRAYER:
O Precious Father, I call to you wanting you to know how important your love and forgiveness are in my life. Thank you for sending Jesus to show your love and pay the debt of my sin. Help me to live today as your child: may others see my joy and my passion for you as I seek to live for your glory. In the name of my Savior, Jesus, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Let thine eyes look right on, and let thine eyelids look straight before thee. Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established. Proverbs 4:25-26 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 12, 2010

Devotional:
Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God [is] one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. Deuteronomy 6:4-5 (KJV)
So many times Satan seduces us into a flat, 2 dimensional Christianity - going to church and doing good deeds. But God calls us to a three dimensional faith. He wants us to love him with all of our being in all of our actions and with all of our might.

PRAYER:
Dear Heavenly Father, I honor you as God Almighty. I appreciate you for all your kindness and blessings lavished upon me. I love you because you first loved me in Jesus. My heart's desire today is to demonstrate my love for you in all I do, and love and say. Through Jesus. Amen.

Wisdom:
The simple believeth every word: but the prudent [man] looketh well to his going. Proverbs 14:15 (KJV)