Dark skin girls with black colored hair

C

chica_canella

So, when you die your hair does it make your scalp look black and artificial? I know this sounds like a crazy question to some, but sometimes when people get permanent rinses there scalp looks red at first.

And is Bigen a good dye? What do you all when it grows out and how often can you touch the color up?

caribeandiva

Human being
So, when you die your hair does it make your scalp look black and artificial? I know this sounds like a crazy question to some, but sometimes when people get permanent rinses there scalp looks red at first.

And is Bigen a good dye? What do you all when it grows out and how often can you touch the color up?

I wanna know too. i've been afraid to self-dye because of that.

C

chica_canella

Dark skin ladies look the best with black hair, IMO. I think it's beautiful.

I wouldn't say all that....j/k.

But seriously, I think it depends on the person. Light, dark whateva. But I like long, jet black hair like Kelly Rowlands. Her hair could be just a little shinier though but it is still great.:yep:

MochaSilk

WOW, I've never heard of dark-skinned women looking bad with black hair. I'm in agreement with everyone else, it depends on the undertones of the skin and the type of black used.

My natural color is off-black (1B) in the fall/winter and turned reddish dark brown in the summer. It really showed when my hair was dry. Dying my hair black changed my overall look. I felt I looked more "put together," if that makes any sense.

If you go with black, be aware of the different types of black. If you're going to do it yourself, go to Sally beauty supply and look at the hair samples of colors they have on display. The colors on the boxes are hard to determine against the skin.

With my undertones, a blue/black shows up as purple next to my skin. The off-black, 1B even shiny looked washed out. The oriental black & jet black gave me such a deep rich color. It enhances my dark skin and my hair looks healthier and thicker. I don't see me coloring my hair anything other than black in the next 10 years. Since discovering my love, Amla oil, it's also easy to maintain as it darkens the hair over time. My hair was dyed about 4 months ago and it's still as rich as ever.

BE CAREFUL if you use Bigen, though. It has high levels of PPD, which is known to cause anaphylactic skin reactions. I've used the oriental black and fell in love with it, but when I researched the ingredients, I decided against using it again. Not worth the risk to me, since I've experienced anaphylactic shock long ago.

I don't remember the color line my husband used, but I'll ask. It was a line from Italy that did right by my hair. Other store bought colors and rinses dried my hair out so bad I had stopped coloring for almost 2 years. I forgot what I looked like with black hair.

I find that the right black compliments any skin tone and gives a regal look to a woman.

glamazon386

Same here, only I use henna and indigo glosses to darken my hair and it looks a thousand times better.

ETA: Does anyone have any examples of a dark-skinned person (famous or not) with dark hair and light(er) hair? My mind is drawing a blank.

You mean good examples right :lol: Serena Williams likes to do the light hair thing but always ends up looking a HAM. Usually if I wear my hair lighter, it's not the whole thing just maybe the hair around my face and the roots of it are still dark. I have pictures of me with lighter hair via wigs and weaves. I've never actually dyed my hair before- with the exception of a black rinse my mom had our stylist put in my hair once or twice in 8th grade.

elaine07

It's all about what you want, and what you think looks good on you. I wouldn't necessarily pay too much attention to what your friends say. I mean, what's the worst that could happen? If you dont like it, you can always go back to another color. BTW.. are you talking about a rinse, or a perm dye? Oh, and I love jet black hair on all different skin tones, so I say GO FOR IT!

Frustrated

That's a new one on me :ohwell:. I'm darker skinned and my hair looks healthier and shinier black. I say go for it it'll look great :grin:!

cmw45

You can see my skin color in my avatar photo and I have very black hair. (I mean, it's really black, because my hair is covered a lot and I'm never in the sun.) Most people like the color of my hair and are suprised it's so dark...so I say, go for it.

ETA: I agree with nubianqt86, I also have red undertones in my skin...I think that it might look too harsh if you have really yellow undertones as it might wash your skin color out.

Last edited:

karezone

I am not dark skinned, butevery November I dye my hair black. My mom thinks that it looks harsh, but I think that I look better during the Fall/Winter when my hair is darker.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I'm dark with really red undertones. Dying my hair black was a very good decision on my part. I straightened my hair yesterday and its so shiny and seems to brighten my complexion. My friends say I look Indian or mixed (which I don't too much care for, buts thats another thread).

Its all about the undertone to me. If you have pink undertones, black probably wouldn't be a good look for you.

Last edited:

nycutiepie

I'm dark and used to have blueblack/black hair for years. When I finally let it grow out and moved over to a more brown shade, I was told that the black was too harsh. I agree with everyone but I think it has to do with the undertones of your skin. Try a wig and see if you like it.

Empress Yahudah

I love jet black hair :grin: I think its looks good on almost anybody from light to dark and all the in betweens...unless ur are very very pale with no warm undertones then it can look harsh.

Shardonay11

I dont consider Kelly Roland as dark skin, she medium brown to me dark skin is usually dark brown to black skin tones in my book, but anyway. I think black hair is sexy, glossy and it has a way of looking healthier than brown hair. Especially on dark-skin girls. So go for it.

The only way I'd say maybe not, is if your extremely dark(black skin) and your skin would be the same color as your hair, then I would recommend going lighter (you want to have contrast between you skin and hair) otherwise dye that head:yep:

caliber38

What that person said is crazy. Dark skin looks great with black hair. i think most black folks have black hair but b/c of the relaxers and different things we put on our hair it looks lighter. I'm darkskinned and my hair was jet black before i started relaxing and coloring it. honestly i think that red orange and blond hair looks crazy on darker skinned girls :nono:. I'm sure ur black hair will be beautiful.

soslychic

Wow! I didn't expect so many responses so quickly ladies. Thanks so much everbody for your opinions. I think I AM gonna go for it! Kelly Rowland is a good example. We are about the same skin color.

I would love to do a rinse instead of a permanent color since it wouldn't be as damaging but I do NOT want any running off on pillowcases, in the shower, on my clothes and any of that mess :wallbash: :angry2: :nono:

Is Bigen known to stay on the hair well? :)

pistachio

Wow! I didn't expect so many responses so quickly ladies. Thanks so much everbody for your opinions. I think I AM gonna go for it! Kelly Rowland is a good example. We are about the same skin color.

I would love to do a rinse instead of a permanent color since it wouldn't be as damaging but I do NOT want any running off on pillowcases, in the shower, on my clothes and any of that mess :wallbash: :angry2: :nono:

Is Bigen known to stay on the hair well? :)

YES!!!! I tried to lift my hair three shades with some peroxide two motnhs ago and my Bigen color strands just laughed at it!!!

Blackoutzangel05

I am a chocolate woman and my natural hair color is 1....not 1B or 1 something, straight 1. It is so hard for my hair to take color. I love the look of my hair color, but I have always wanted to have reddish undertones, so I henna. But I don't believe that anything is wrong with it especially if God created some of us that way. I remember when I was younger, getting braids, it seemed like even the 1 color hair was not dark enough, you could still tell the difference. I am tellin you my natural hair color is jet jet black....

MochaSilk

I am a chocolate woman and my natural hair color is 1....not 1B or 1 something, straight 1. It is so hard for my hair to take color. I love the look of my hair color, but I have always wanted to have reddish undertones, so I henna. But I don't believe that anything is wrong with it especially if God created some of us that way. I remember when I was younger, getting braids, it seemed like even the 1 color hair was not dark enough, you could still tell the difference. I am tellin you my natural hair color is jet jet black....

Ooooh, I'd :heart: that!

BlackPearl1

I'm not dark, skin, but Kelly Rowland is, and I think she looks better the with the jet black hair she was sporting. If anything, it's the light skinned girls like me that some think Black hair doesn't look right on because people say it looks too "harsh" against our skin. Go ahead and color that hair!!! :) May I recommend Bigen haircolor in Oriental Black, it's great haircolor and long lasting too!!

I Agree jet black looks good on her.

Last edited:

BlackPearl1

I don't know any black people with jet black hair and I always thought it didn't look right for some reason. :look:

I always thought people with yellow or golden undertones looked better with it because of the color contrast.

I don't know, I think it may look nice now but it depends on how the person looks. Like, Kelly Rowland may look good but someone else dark may not. It depends on your features and all that good stuff.

Many people can pull off different looks but it has to do with how you look first. Like there are many Dominicans who are dark and have jet black hair.:yep:

I also agree with this. Maybe you can try on a jet black wig and see how you like the color on you.

Last edited:

KiniKakes

Jet black hair is beautiful, period. Your skin can be black/blue/orange/green/yellow/pink. Its a gorgeous look, and i say go for it! :)

so so chic

Here are two examples of dark skinned women with jet black hair. I'm the last on the right. I think that dark skinned women look gorgeous with black hair. I always thought it was the best color to have. I've been wanting to go lighter, but for some reason thought that I couldn't go wrong with black. My bf even calls me Black aka Sexy Black, and he LOVES my dark skin and JET BLACK hair :grin:.

Last edited: