dealing with different hair types

chosen07

so its been established that many of us are blessed with different textures on one head...but how do you ladies deal with this?

I have about 4 inches of natural hair after BC'ing last month and I'm ashamed to admit but I am just realizing yesterday that the reason my hair on my sides aren't curling like the rest is b/c its a different texture.:blush: I guess I never really paid attention to the hair types that much...
the top/front, crown and "kitchen" of my hair is curly. like really type springy curls...4a or b...not really sure. I wet my hair, put in S-curl or another activator/leave-in and my curls last all day...however, I've been fighting the two patches on the sides of my hair that just puff.
It wasn't until after DC'ing on Wed that I realized even when its wet, it doesn't curl..barely a wave. its just "there" :lachen:

I'm gonna wait till I get more length and see what it does before trying to label the patches...but for those of you with distinct differences, do you use different products to achieve uniformity? or after the TWA grows out- is it just not really an issue? I know I spent the first month :wallbash: my head b/c of these random patches that never curl..trying to find a magical product to make it curl up like a spring...especially the blasted sides that are really obvious comparison to the top/front of my head.

I'm at peace now [a month later]-tired of fighting against my hair which was why I gave up relaxers.:spinning:

rambling vent over. thanks for reading!

naturalgurl

I feel your pain guh!!!!! I have people tell me I am NOT 4b, but I have 4b hair on my head. Which texture should I claim. I just claim 4 because when it's all combed out, it's 4'ish.

ETA~ It'll grow out the same way BUT the longer your hair gets the curlier and wavier(is that a word?) it'll get. My 4b is starting to be more wavey than kinky. Sorry for such big pics.

My nape and hairline all the way around is 3 c'ish

Middle layer is 4a'ish. You can see the 4b crown standing at attention up there!

See the crown, it's 4b and this 3 inch peice stretches to 7 inches.

All combed out(siggy pic)...

Last edited:

naturalgurl

Tired of editing... I use one product all over my head. Raw shea butter seems to be what all of the types like and it really makes all types BEHAVE. The good thing is, if one type on my head likes something, the rest follows even though it's a different texture. You'll learn to deal with it. I do up do's with pretty spiral curls since the hairline curls without effort. When I wear it out I use the more coarser crown area to make my hair big or tall, I love that. The middle 4a hair just goes along for the ride with whatever I do and is sort of like a filler to make it all come together and be lush! Just love all of it!

chosen07

I feel your pain guh!!!!! I have people tell me I am NOT 4b, but I have 4b hair on my head. Which texture should I claim. I just claim 4 because when it's all combed out, it's 4'ish.

ETA~ It'll grow out the same way BUT the longer your hair gets the curlier and wavier(is that a word?) it'll get. My 4b is starting to be more wavey than kinky. Sorry for such big pics.

Middle layer is 4a'ish. You can see the 4b crown standing at attention up there!

wow...how cool is that? lol thanks for sharing! I'm beginning to fully appreciate my raw shea butter..had it in my closet of goodies for 6 months now just sitting there...

naturalgurl

Looks like we're the only ones "blessed" with so many different textures. I made a thread while I was PMS'ing with these same pics and NO ONE shared the sentiment(I was sort of glad because I sounded crazy). It must be nice to have a head with just one texture. The only drawback to the many textures is shrinkage. They have different degrees of shrinkage and that urks me sometimes, well all of the time. The crown shinks the most and I need that area to make my do's big and bold. Sometimes it wants to shrink up more than the rest. I'm going to try to blow only that part and see how that looks with the rest of the hair loose.

Nayna

Unbothered
I gotta join in cus it is really frustrating at times, the very front of my hair is 4a ish, the crown is a 3b i think and then the back is 3c and its crazy because somethimes the crown feels really fine, like im scared im going to start balding there, lol

chosen07

Looks like we're the only ones "blessed" with so many different textures. I made a thread while I was PMS'ing with these same pics and NO ONE shared the sentiment(I was sort of glad because I sounded crazy). It must be nice to have a head with just one texture. The only drawback to the many textures is shrinkage. They have different degrees of shrinkage and that urks me sometimes, well all of the time. The crown shinks the most and I need that area to make my do's big and bold. Sometimes it wants to shrink up more than the rest. I'm going to try to blow only that part and see how that looks with the rest of the hair loose.

good luck..I hope it works.

I tried my first twist out since being natural and my 'straighter' strands are finally uniformed...well ok. not quite but they look curlier than they usually are... I think a mohawk will work great with the location of my patches!

La Colocha

I have different hair types going on, I have coils all over and then there are 2 spots on the top of my head that are frizzy and have do definition. I just put a little extra product on those areas and twirl with my finger to make fake coils. The hair stays like that all day.

mscocoface

I too have different textures but mine is geographically different. My front is not completely 4B and my back is straight with no chaser 4B and then some.

I use the same product on my whole head and have seen no problems so far. Both sections when I would do a press and curl or even a relaxer responded differently.

I can tell when I get to the middle of my head when I have to detangle, do protective styles and other things.

For example folks have beautiful buns on this site but for me to try to do then with the two different textures is hysterical. My front says okay gimme a minute and my back says, I don't think so mommy! LOL

My front is also the place where I have to be much more careful in the styles that I do. It doesn't like brushes and it causes me more issues when I detangle and unfortunately it is where I am the most tenderheaded. I also will lose my hair quicker in the front especially around the temple areas.

It is like dealing with two different heads on one person.

donewit-it

I have different textures as well. My front and top of the crown is I think 3C (due to daily puffs). The sides are 4a and back 4b. I simply classify it all as just 4a/b hair.

It's crazy though.

Breezieone

Naturalgurl!!! You are my hair TWIN!!! Your pictures are EXACTLY what my hair looks like when wet! I get hope looking at your hair, because I am feeling so frustrated dealing with mine!

It's really frustrating me to have this big long patch of thick, unruly hair in the middle of my head! I have such a hard time detangling on wash day. Actually, for the most part, I have been dreading wash day. So far, this last Wednesday was my first wash day that I didn't want to cry. After reading the forum, I tried to straighten with milk...I didn't notice any changes after leaving it in my hair for an hour and a half. Then, I tried an oil rinse after I shampoo'd and then did a conditioning rinse. My hair was a little easier to manage in the middle, but I still lost a ton of hair when detangling! :wallbash: Meanwhile, all the 3cish hair around the hairline and kitchen area is nice and curly and easy to manage! It's rediculous! How do I have hair in the 3cish texture all around my head and 4(feels like Z) right smack in the middle on the crown.

The hair on my crown and and the middle of the back is thick, dry, and barely even waves ups. I can't even barely finger detangle it! I am just beginning this hair journey, so my hair is not healthy yet and since I am trying to only use natural (meaning from my kitchen) products, I am struggling with this new growth! Usually I don't have to deal with this problem, because my natural hair is hidden under a wig and I wear a headband, or braids, or twists, but now I am trying to wear my natural hair and it is just not acting right! I am 2 seconds from slapping a relaxer in it and calling it a day...and I HATE chemicals!

I can't even explain to you how frustrated I am right now dealing with the mess in the middle of my head! I can barely even part it. When I try to get my hair into a bun, the sides and back slick up really nicely and the middle won't even lay flat...and that is with it wet and a TON of oil and hair gel! I can't even comb it back wet. I just look like I need a hug... :needhug: All you see is this dry looking nap puffing up at the top of my head (even though it's wet) with slick, shiny wet hair pulled back all around it! :pullhair:

Ok...I know I am rambling, but I am so frustrated. I am currently investigating a natural straigtener...(either coconut/lime or sour cream/lemon) to try and get that patch a little easier to manage...and raw shea butter for moisture, along with my glycerin/aloe mixture that currently seems to be working...

So...having complained about all of that, Naturalgurl, where do you buy your raw shea butter? Also, which method do you prefer to straighten? I read your foki and I saw that the sour cream method straightened better, but you like the way the coconut makes your hair feel...And do you do the straigtening method of choice on dirty, dry hair before you wash it, or do you wash it first and then do whichever method on clean hair?

Sorry so long! Chosen07, I understand your pain and I am trying to manage the different grades, but not doing so well!

All help is appreciated! Thanks in advance! :grin: