Does anyone else have very different hair types mixed in their head

biancaantoinette

The back of my head near the nape of my neck and up is very straight hair. and when I say straight I mean BONE STRAIGHT like type 2 hair. It has a little bit of curl but NOTHING like my 4a hair in the rest of my head.
It is hard to style because its so straight (when I do twist outs) so i have to constantly twist it on a daily basis. I know alot of people have little patches of hair that is a slightly different consistency but this is like half of the back of my head.

Its alot like new born baby hair that hasnt gotten its kink yet.
Does anyone else have this?

hannan

A lot of people have patches of different hair textures but it sounds like maybe you're describing heat damage. Do you straighten a lot?

DaiseeDay

How long is your hair?

It's common to have multiple textures/ curl patterns. My hair is 3a/3b/3c and the 3a pieces were straight and would get weighted down easily when I first big chopped, and now that my hair is longer they curl.

But you could also have heat damage and/or relaxed ends left over (don't know how long you've been natural). I've learned just how much relaxed ends can weigh your hair down - it's amazing.

biancaantoinette

I have had a relaxer in the past once but even before that I had this weirdo texture difference.
I dont put heat on my hair and I big chopped years ago its not just straight ends its from root to tip slightly curly hair.

greenandchic

I have 4a/3c/3b (in that order more or less). I never relaxed and I haven't used heat since 2002. I think its actually pretty common...

Yes, I freaking hate it! All my mid and lower layers on front and sides are silky and wavy. Then the back nape and above is straight. Then above that it gets very curly and extremely frizzy! Then on the sides/front the top layers are CRISPY dry with little curl definition, just some kind of coarse, cripsy hair that's porous and ugly.

winona

I dont think I know 1 person who does :) I have about 3 very loose 4a in the back, in the middle 4b, front some straight ish that I thought was heat damage. Come to find out it is just some straight ish that wont produce any of the cute twist styles I see :(

candycotton

Yes, I freaking hate it! All my mid and lower layers on front and sides are silky and wavy. Then the back nape and above is straight. Then above that it gets very curly and extremely frizzy! Then on the sides/front the top layers are CRISPY dry with little curl definition, just some kind of coarse, cripsy hair that's porous and ugly.

:perplexed......

nisemac

i've been natural for 15 years and can't remember when i last used any heat. i too, have about 3 types of hair...fine 4a in the front, medium to coarse 4a ( i think some 4b in there too) and 3c at the nape. when short, i can work it, but as it grows out it gets harder to style in wng or even 2 strand twists. the back wont stay twisted, the front twists turn into larger coils, and the crown section twists but they have a mind of their own--some go out, some down, and some up.

you are not alone.

godsflowerrr

I also have 3 different hair textures. It can be challenging when it comes to styling .....I have learned to work with it:)

Prudent1

That is a part of being AA from what I've observed:giggle:. As others have stated, you are not alone. I have about 3 texture of hair on my head but 2 dominate, 3c in the nape area (which makes de-tangling a challenge) and mostly 4a/b everywhere else. That's why I stretched my transition, it bought me time to learn how to deal with all of these different textures:yep:.

:perplexed......

Did I say something confusing? My hair goes from 3a underneath to 3b to something I cannot identify. The top layers on the sides will not hold a curl, have a crisp texture and are just DRY and porous. The back is curly as can be and unmanageable but still better than that dry, coarse stuff on top which I thought was scab hair when I transitioned. I don't know how else to explain it. I have read about people having this odd texture at the top before btw on other hair forums so I know I'm not the only one.

Last edited:
my hairline is very soft in certain areas and nappy in others, when i just air dry my hair, i have a lot of defined curls in the back but the front is just coarse with very little curl or waves going on, my new growth is very coarse but has a nice pattern at the same time , I almost curious enough to go natural and see what my real texture is minus the relaxer and crap ive put in it all these years.

kblc06

I have like 5 distinct textures in my head ranging from some weird kinky 3a to 4a/b around the perimeter

Yep. I think the majority of my hair is a mix between 4a/3c. Then I have two tufts of hair at the front (by each ear) that are much coarser than the rest of my hair. And to further mix things up, I have a few random patches of bone straight hair. :drunk:

*CherryPie*

I'm mainly 4a with a little 4b in there. But then, straight across the nape and in the top there's 3c....or even 3b. Oh yeah, I have some bone straight strands sprinkled all through my hair too.

I'm so perplexed that I have to use words AND the smilie. ---> :perplexed

:look:

Miss*Tress

Did I say something confusing? My hair goes from 3a underneath to 3b to something I cannot identify. The top layers on the sides will not hold a curl, have a crisp texture and are just DRY and porous. The back is curly as can be and unmanageable but still better than that dry, coarse stuff on top which I thought was scab hair when I transitioned. I don't know how else to explain it. I have read about people having this odd texture at the top before btw on other hair forums so I know I'm not the only one.
I have the same issue with hair in the crown area plus breakage there too.

Other than that, I've come to find that I'm pretty much 3C with curls roughly the same size all over. What differs from one area to the other is the porosity, coarsness/silkiness of the strands which causes the sides to hang more than the back, for example.

mikimix

My little (half) brother has this. He is half black, half white (stepdad is white). Most of his hair is like 3c, but there's a patch at the back of his head that is bone straight, not even type 2.

Curlykale

yep. mine looks about 3c but drinks 100% more in the back, wants to become a dreadlock every 3 days on the sides, shrinks less in the perimeter and is much less defined on top (I never use heat or tools). The more it grows, the easier to style I find it and I wear breaidouts, buns and and twistouts 100% of the time... I keep it stretched, moisturize more the thirsty areas and twist the areas that loose definition.

Last edited:

~~HoneyComb~~

I have 2 very distinct hair textures on my head. It took a while to figure how to style my hair to blend the two together. The very front is a looser texture than the sides and back, so it's easy for the front to look much longer than the rest even though it's the same length. Can be very frustrating.

candycotton

When you referred to the coarse part as ugly..I think I see what you were trying to say but the term ugly came off kinda harsh..

belldandy

I have like 3 different textures in my hair naturally...I have not bothered to truly type my hair to date because I don't think its that important....I thought I was 3c but I now realize that not every texture fits into the typing categories. I just make sure to put extra moisture in the drier textures.

Nelli04

I definitely do...my hair has heat damaged ends, so I'm just recently learning what my true hair type is, now that it's growing out.

In the very front and edges/ sides and low back, its coarse 4a and 4b (i think, i am still confused as to what 4b is)
The nape is a looser silky 4a
the crown and midback are silky 3c
IDK if I could ever rock a wash and go...

MrJohnsonsRib

biancaantoinette I deal with the exact same thing. My head looks awful when I try to do the afro. Even twistouts are jacked up. The crown/bangs area is this loose and limp 3 type hair and the 4 type hair like a horseshoe around my head (think old man balding at the top,lol) I just don't understand. I haven't relaxed since Dec '08 and I barely put heat on my hair. Maybe once every 3 or 4 months. I BC'd in early '09. Nothing "old" is left. It's all new hair. I don't mind the tight 4 type hair curl b/c then my twists would stay up top and do that curling/coiling at the ends to give it a more finished look. Instead it needs something thick like shea butter, heck hair grease to make it stay. What do you two-textured women do for styles and care?

Last edited: